• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Horden (Peterlee) Station now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marsker

There was a press release on 5 May which covered the new footbridge and platforms, it said that the MEP and telecoms work should be completed over the next month or so and the station should be ready for opening in "early summer".

xotGD

Established Member
There was a press release on 5 May which covered the new footbridge and platforms, it said that the MEP and telecoms work should be completed over the next month or so and the station should be ready for opening in "early summer".
MEP?

I'm assuming not Member of the European Parliament!

James101

Journey planners and ticket agents showing a 16:17 departure to Nunthorpe today

xotGD

Established Member
The bods who make the station lights work. We usually know them as E&P (Electrical & Plant)staff, and no; I don't mean they supply flowers to make the place look nice.
Many thanks.

SeanG

Ooh they wouldn't like that in Peterlee. It's a bit, err, Brexity.

TBY-Paul

One of the local Facebook pages is saying that Horden Station is open for business from 06.30 on Monday 29th June? Does anyone know a more official source?

Anvil1984

Established Member
One of the local Facebook pages is saying that Horden Station is open for business from 06.30 on Monday 29th June? Does anyone know a more official source?

No official press releases but Northern staff have also been told that date is correct. No pomp or ceremony on the day

TBY-Paul

No official press releases but Northern staff have also been told that date is correct. No pomp or ceremony on the day
That makes sense under the current circumstances. When we do get back to normal it will be interesting to see if it does as well as I expect it to do.

pdeaves

Established Member
The weekly operating notice states "The station will open for use by passenger services from 0630 hours on Monday 29th June 2020". The wording looks like that was the source for the Facebook post.

DGH 1

The weekly operating notice states "The station will open for use by passenger services from 0630 hours on Monday 29th June 2020". The wording looks like that was the source for the Facebook post.
RTT has 7 or 8 services in each direction that can make unadvertised stops at Horden. Also on Thursday (18th) 156449 + 158853 worked 5Z99 Heaton to Heaton stopping for about 15 mins before going on to Hartlepool and coming back again for another 15 mins or so, it was filmed too. Lots of people in high viz coats mulling about before heading back to Heaton.

Roger100

Fairly quiet there today just after 1 pm. Here 156479 with 2N28 slowed right down to pass through the station.

156479 2N28.jpg

bearhugger

That makes sense under the current circumstances. When we do get back to normal it will be interesting to see if it does as well as I expect it to do.
From what I remember of James Cook being built & opened in 2014, there was definitely a week or two of services stopping there before the official opening ceremony took place. I would imagine in the current circumstances of the Covid-19 pandemic, there might be a little while before ceremony with press & dignitaries would take place.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Fairly quiet there today just after 1 pm. Here 156479 with 2N28 slowed right down to pass through the station.

The station stops are already in the train schedules, but marked as non-advertised, so I guess that services slow down there to keep to time.

DGH 1

From what I remember of James Cook being built & opened in 2014, there was definitely a week or two of services stopping there before the official opening ceremony took place. I would imagine in the current circumstances of the Covid-19 pandemic, there might be a little while before ceremony with press & dignitaries would take place.
I noticed the other day when i was there, that there is no signalling at either end of the station, am i missing something, Or has it not been installed yet?.

Anvil1984

Established Member
I noticed the other day when i was there, that there is no signalling at either end of the station, am i missing something, Or has it not been installed yet?.

Not every station has signals at every end of the platform and I think that will be the case here (Even after the resignalling work up the coast)

pdeaves

Established Member
The station is on plain line and doesn't necessarily need signals. Just in front of the train in the image (post 50) you can see the yellow AWS magnet in the track for a signal behind the camera. I understand the magnet was repositioned slightly (maybe also the signal, not 100% sure) to prevent the train sitting over it when at the platform.

DGH 1

The station is on plain line and doesn't necessarily need signals. Just in front of the train in the image (post 50) you can see the yellow AWS magnet in the track for a signal behind the camera. I understand the magnet was repositioned slightly (maybe also the signal, not 100% sure) to prevent the train sitting over it when at the platform.
Thank's for the info, i'm a bit wiser now.

bluenoxid

Established Member
The station stops are already in the train schedules, but marked as non-advertised, so I guess that services slow down there to keep to time.

I might be wrong but now is a good time to practice braking and remembering to stop at the new station. Bit awkward to run straight through on the first few days of opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.