• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2007 Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member

Oh dear indeed, it's even got D9016 style headlights! To be fair to Hornby, this is part of their 'Railroad' range which is aimed at the new starter which to quote "will consist of existing Hornby models that are less detailed than the current high detail models". I presume this is the former Lima Deltic model moulding.

Nathan

Although the standard in quality is moving forwards, by introducing these models they are also going back on themselves. Is 'Railroad' is really just offering a cheap range for cheapskates?

theblackwatch

Established Member
Although the standard in quality is moving forwards, by introducing these models they are also going back on themselves. Is 'Railroad' is really just offering a cheap range for cheapskates?

The way I see it, I think these models are probably being introduced for the 'family/beginner' end of the market. If Daddy want to buy his 6 year old son his first train set for Christmas, he's hardly going to need a full detailed loco and carriages, which nowadays isn't cheap (and Mummy, who must be obeyed, will say "you can't be spending that much on the trainset). This way, he can spend a lower amount on something basic, get the kid interested, and in due course they will probably move on to the more detailed stuff.

Nathan

So does the 'Railroad' range consist of Lima castings?

theblackwatch

Established Member
So does the 'Railroad' range consist of Lima castings?

I'm guessing they are all Lima ones, or very old Hornby ones from the 70s/80s. Certainly Hornby haven't done a Deltic (not since Hornby Dublo days, the 60s I think, before my time!) so that must be a Lima model.

Nathan

Oooh, I see the TILTING Pendolino in there :D Looks good!

I assume you decided Hornby over Dapol then? With the other available coaches you can make a full set, now that was worth the wait!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yep :D ...although I have no money now, so I'm probably not gonna get it for aaaages anyway!

Beaker

Established Member
I assume you decided Hornby over Dapol then? With the other available coaches you can make a full set, now that was worth the wait!

The dapol one is a crap runner anyway.

And what you really want is a full pendolino set with a slightly weathered Virmin 57 at the front.
Or even better a model scrapyard with the pendo in it

Guinness

Established Member
Class 66s look poor along with a GBRf 73.

I presume them are aimed at starters.

Nick

Yea, your best of with Bachmann for value for money tbh.
Only hornby items I own are the DCC which is pretty damn good!

Bring on the new Bachmann 47s - MY LORDZ

Beaker

Established Member
Yea, your best of with Bachmann for value for money tbh.
Only hornby items I own are the DCC which is pretty damn good!

Bring on the new Bachmann 47s - MY LORDZ

The only problem with Bachmann is you generally have to add +1 year to the catalouge date , to work out when the stuff will come out :lol:

Established Member
Like the CEPs this year my arse, next year more likely lol

At least they take there time and get it right!!!

The Snap

Established Member
Lots of nice models there. I especailly look forward to that new Pendo, the Blue Pullman set, and the Class 60s. :)

Nathan

is the new pendo a new model OR is it the dapol one? as many of you may remember Hornby bought the tools to many old dapol models, terrier J94 4F etc. Maybe they bought this as well?

I think it's their own, remember Hornby brought out Lima not Dapol.

Established Member
I think it's their own, remember Hornby brought out Lima not Dapol.

They brought bits from Dapol not the company!

I think it might be a retooled Dapol one as there i no mention on the pendo on there website

Status
Not open for further replies.