• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby A1 Tornado DCC Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Hello all,
Having looked at the Hornby "Tornado Express" starter set, I was wondering - how would I fit a Hornby DCC Decoder in it? I'm talking about the following one:
https://railsofsheffield.com/produc...-hornby-digital-4-function-locomotive-decoder
(Sorry I can't quote it, I'm using my phone)

I was just wondering if it was a "take the engine apart" job or a "rip the tender to pieces" doodah. If anyone has this Tornado and wouldn't mind sending me the appropriate documents (loco care pages) I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

-Peter

EDIT: I've had a look at the Hornby Service Sheet for Tornado (Sheet 366) and it turns out the fitting of a DCC decoder will be through taking off the engine bodyshell. Does anyone know if the models in question here have a lot of space to fit the decoder and if they are easy to take apart to do so?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
Body removal is described in the operating and maintenance instructions https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/211
Its Hornbys old single screw at the front - slot tab at the rear fixing system which is somewhat long in the tooth, works okay for locos with little or no added on detail but a pretty poor arrangement for those with stacks of add ons as any flexing of the body can lead to parts breaking or dropping off. Should not be a problem with Tornado - the greater issue is ensuring the slot tab is fitted correctly when reassembling. The Hornby R8249 is a pretty basic decoder, I avoid it as I like to tweak the speed settings beyond what it is capable of, but as a Hornby designed loco I would think its should fit okay.

Peter C

Established Member
Body removal is described in the operating and maintenance instructions https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/211
Its Hornbys old single screw at the front - slot tab at the rear fixing system which is somewhat long in the tooth, works okay for locos with little or no added on detail but a pretty poor arrangement for those with stacks of add ons as any flexing of the body can lead to parts breaking or dropping off. Should not be a problem with Tornado - the greater issue is ensuring the slot tab is fitted correctly when reassembling. The Hornby R8249 is a pretty basic decoder, I avoid it as I like to tweak the speed settings beyond what it is capable of, but as a Hornby designed loco I would think its should fit okay.
Thanks very much. Valuable info. I'll use the Hornby basic Decoder, purely because it's cheap and easy to get hold of for me. :) And I'm not interested in fiddling around with speed settings- I've heard it can break engines in the worst circumstances!

-Peter

SCH117X

Established Member
Not heard of that being an issue - I always cap the top speed of the loco to something prototypical for it and the layout it is running on, for example a shunter capped to a slow crawl and hence I can whack the power knob to full and leave it trundling along the layout whilst sorting out the fiddle yard for example. For its features, or rather lack of them, I would not call the R8249 cheap at a list price of a penny off £21.

Status
Not open for further replies.