• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby cab glass frosting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
So on the left is an older Lima 73, perfectly fine, but my Hornby EMT 43 appears to have clouded all over the glass bizarrely.

Does anyone else have this problem?
I'm not going to bother replacing it as it's not worth the effort in my opinion (it makes this strange squeeling noise too even with roof fan removed...)

Attachments

• 16243861383815948201350196194438.jpg
    16243861383815948201350196194438.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Now this is something new to me - especially on a new model. I've had this happen to me but only when trying to clean the window with nail polish remover (not the best choice o_O).
Maybe this is useful?
34theletterbetweenB&D on RMWeb said:
I have seen - and many others will have experieinced this - regular exposure to direct sunlight behind glass start fogging the glazing, usually has a very slight blue-grey tint. Seen this on both Bachmann and Hornby's products that folks have left on windowsills and like locations. The fogging is in the bulk of the material. No cure that I know of.

[Most relevant explanation from the looks of it] Then there's chemical action. This is typically on the surface only, white or nearly so. This is a very slow form of the reactions that we will all have observed at some time where vapours from products like solvent based adhesives and cements, react on the surface of the glazing and leave a bloom. Can of petrol for the motor mower stored in the same shed where the layout is located can do it, solvents able to leak out of bottles or cans in the layout room, etc.. Storage boxes and polymer based packaging are another source, very small breakdown product of some polymer component generates a vapour which is concentrated by being enclosed in a box.

These can be fixable: polishes that restore surface smoothness and glazing materials are the agents to try. I have heard of microglaze, Krystal Klear and canopy glue among other things being successful.

Then there's 'probable fault in manufacturing'. Seen this on a couple of models. I have a single Bachmann mk 1 coach (from several dozen) which has gone opaque on a couple of windows, and have read other such reports. And a Hornby A4, on which one cab spectacle plate has gone white. Since these models were on the layout for their whole period of time in in my hands, with many other glazed models around them and none others affected, I am inclined to the view that the problem was 'built in'. No cure I know of.

-Peter

trainmania100

Established Member
Whoops yes I do leave my models on the windowsill when not parked in my yard. That'll be why then, thanks .
Haven't had any problems with bachmann models , seems only my 43. Cheers gents

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Don't some types of plastic often start to develop cracks and/or become brittle when exposed to ultraviolet light in sunlight?

Peter C

Established Member
Whoops yes I do leave my models on the windowsill when not parked in my yard. That'll be why then, thanks .
Haven't had any problems with bachmann models , seems only my 43. Cheers gents
Nice to know I could help! :)
Like I said, I've not seen it before on a model, but that's probably just my relative inexperience.

Don't some types of plastic often start to develop cracks and/or become brittle when exposed to ultraviolet light in sunlight?
Would that be 'mazak rot'? There's an explanation here: https://albionyard.net/2021/02/14/mazak-rot-a-matter-of-time/

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
That affects the metal chassis - believe it's due to the (incorrect) make-up of the alloy. Only certain batches of certain models have been affected - the Hornby Class 31 is notorious for it. The chassis expands, and will eventually crack the bodyshell.
Ah - thanks for explaining :)
RMWeb has a list of models known to be affected, in case anyone reading this wants to know if their models might be affected: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...zinc-pest-mazak-rot-the-affected-models-list/

-Peter

Established Member
Same on my EMT power car as well. Just the un-motored one on the left while the motored one is perfectly fine. Never seen it on any other models.
IMG_20210623_170408.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210623_170408.jpg
    IMG_20210623_170408.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.