• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby Dublo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtis

Hi anybody still use Hornby Dublo 3 rail
I have just inherited my dads old one
But I need a controller has we can’t find the old A3 units being looking at gaugemaster are there any HM or Hornby
Ones up to the job
Neil

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gaymale

I still have some Hornby Dublo 3 rail and A3 and A2 controllers, though the locos rarely get used unless I take them to a club or other organisation which has a layout.

When I went 2 rail I bought Hornby Dublo locos (identical to the 3 rail ones apart from different numbers, 80033 instead of 80054 for example) and ran them on Peco track using H&M controllers (duette and similar) with no problems. I sometimes take the 2-rail locos to local clubs and they seem to run fine on most controllers without any form of overload indication. Problems, or very slow running, are usually a sign that the loco needs to be cleaned and oiled or that the magnet needs attention.

If you want to be authentic and use an A3 controller they can sometimes be found at swapmeets and toyfairs, together with many H&M controllers. I've also come across them in sales cabinets at model railways at preserved lines.

A3's can be found on the internet but at prices I certainly wouldn't be prepared to pay. You can even find A3 spares (e.g. bulb and its cover)!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Any transformer/controller capable of providing variable 0 to 12 volts D.C. will work with Hornby Dublo. Be careful not to overload locos and consume too much current - anything more than 1 amp. is unwise as the motors can overheat.

Be aware that some early versions of the 3 rail Castles & Stanier 8F 2-8-0s tended to have a rather feeble performance.

gtis

Any transformer/controller capable of providing variable 0 to 12 volts D.C. will work with Hornby Dublo. Be careful not to overload locos and consume too much current - anything more than 1 amp. is unwise as the motors can overheat.

Be aware that some early versions of the 3 rail Castles & Stanier 8F 2-8-0s tended to have a rather feeble performance.

Thanks I have a co-bo The duchess of Montrose and a 0-6-0
I have been looking at the H&M duette
Neil

gaymale

I have been looking at the H&M duette

The H&M duette is ideal, and there are plenty available. I have found that some controllers (at clubs I've visited) won't supply sufficient current (or at least a high enough output voltage to make up for the voltage drops on the larger layouts caused by the current required for some Dublo locos).

If you can find an ammeter to put in series with the feed to the track it would give an indication if the magnet is a bit weak (or turns shorted on the windings). At least keep a check that locos aren't getting too warm. They generally take more misuse to burn out than some modern motors but still need some care.

Thanks I have a co-bo The duchess of Montrose and a 0-6-0

If you have an 0-6-0 diesel shunter I believe they are quite scarce in 3-rail. I have a 2-rail one but have never seen an original 3-rail one for sale at a swapmeet as far as I can remember. The CoBo in 3-rail isn't that common either.

gtis

The H&M duette is ideal, and there are plenty available. I have found that some controllers (at clubs I've visited) won't supply sufficient current (or at least a high enough output voltage to make up for the voltage drops on the larger layouts caused by the current required for some Dublo locos).

If you can find an ammeter to put in series with the feed to the track it would give an indication if the magnet is a bit weak (or turns shorted on the windings). At least keep a check that locos aren't getting too warm. They generally take more misuse to burn out than some modern motors but still need some care.

If you have an 0-6-0 diesel shunter I believe they are quite scarce in 3-rail. I have a 2-rail one but have never seen an original 3-rail one for sale at a swapmeet as far as I can remember. The CoBo in 3-rail isn't that common either.

Thanks for the advice
It’s a black 0-6-2 steam locomotive
Not a diesel shunter
Neil

Last edited:

Steamysandy

My problem is I have modern model trains but a guy who lives not too far away has decided I should clear my garage to return my trains to it .This is so he can come along and tell me what he wants me to buy.He is still running Hornby Dublo 3rail and is too tight fisted to buy a modern set up.
He's now become a real pain in the a---.
Why should I put up with this character?

Bevan Price

Established Member
My problem is I have modern model trains but a guy who lives not too far away has decided I should clear my garage to return my trains to it .This is so he can come along and tell me what he wants me to buy.He is still running Hornby Dublo 3rail and is too tight fisted to buy a modern set up.
He's now become a real pain in the a---.
Why should I put up with this character?

You shouldn't. If you want to keep the Hornby Dublo yourself, you should tell him politely to "go away". And if he becomes "a problem", threaten to report him to the police.

Steamysandy

The Hornby Dublo is his and he is still living in the 1960s as somebody else said.
So he wants to use me as a mug.
I've now built a Japanese N gauge set up that I run in the front bedroom and pack away when I'm not using it.
So he doesn't know when I'm having a running session

Status
Not open for further replies.