• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby or Bachmann 08?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

Hornby, although you need decent track, as the middle axle doesn't compansate for dodgy track, unlike the bachmann. but for detail, its defo the Hornby one.

richa2002

Established Member
People with Bachmann Class 37s will know they are extremely good runners. Could you say the new Hornby 08 is as good ?

Don't know if it still stands, but the Bachmann 08 suffers from Pick-Up problems.

1K73

I have two of both, and am considering replacing my bachmann ones with hornbys. The amount of detail, and far superior running quality on the hornby version has to be tried to be beleived.

David

Established Member
Bachmann ones are £45.20 retail
Hornby ones are £54.XX retail
I think bachmann are better over all, there loco are cheaper for better quality. Its like bachmann are releasing there new 9F that will kick ass compared to the hornby, as the hornby one is still in the middle ages with tender drive. Also it wouldnt suprise me if the bachmann one is cheaper.

The Snap

Established Member
I'd have to say bachmann, purely because of their reputation. Their previous trains have all been top notch, whereas Hornby have only just started to put real detail on their models. ;)

Established Member
I had my Bachmann one pulling 8 coaches roudn my dads layout!!! no problem atall

kettlefan

having played with 960012's bachmann 08 (and seen the hornby 08) I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer the Bachmann one. I think (this is just my opinion) that the hornby one looks fragile and weaker compared to the Bachmann. The Bachmann really feels weighty when shunting (it actually rolls to a stop when you shut off, something you must remember when shunting) and the coupling rods look "right" even if the Hornby ones are scale. I just think the Bachmann one has more weight and presence, somthing the Hornby lacks. I haven't run the Hornby one yet so won't comment, but for appearence the Bachmann one does it for me.

However I want to find the roco one, as its HO scale and can become a Swedish V class simply through a repaint!

Nathan

I would say Hornby:

- Hook details on the roof
- Slated grill
- Coupler hook detail
- Refined coupling rods
- Easyer for DCC installation

Nick

I wouldn't say it's easier its still about 25mm to fit in a decoder behidn the front grill, I havent fitted one yet but I'm going for the hornby one due to size.

Nathan

Well hopefully you can conclude that in the interest of us all.

Nick

Decoder has been ordered, no idea when it'll arrive probably sometime after new years, if anyone here isnt up to decoder installation/would like advice I'll do a step by step if needed. I don't get what everyone's so scared about DCC, found my first installations really easy, just cut the capacitiors and plug in the decoder plonking insulation tape on anywhere which might cause a short circuit....bugger forgot to insulate the ends of my capacitor cuts!

Nick

Decoder arrived! Came alongw ith some other railway stuff I ordered including another Metcalfe kit, CJ Freezer plan book (already found a really good one I'm gonna adapt for my layout) and a Diesels in Depth: Class 24/25 book (utterly brilliant) and a SMP pointwork kit. Looks like I've got plenty to be doing today....pics and more info when mores been done!

Nick

Update: Decoder fitted and runs very well and very smooth still can't get over how small the hornby decoders are!

Respite

I really must get back into model railways times have obviously changed.When I had mine, Hornby 08's were inside framed 0-6-0's with nasty detail.I had a fleet of about 6 Lima 08/09's with filed down con rods & screw couplings. Looking at both of these now I would say any of them,they both look great.

Still miss my Lima 47 collection,had about 52 of them,only 12 left now .:love2:

Status
Not open for further replies.