• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby Railway Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeTheNoo

Was round at my big sister's house which at one time was the house I grew up in for a visit and she gave me a badge that was discovered under the floor boards when a few were being renewed. It's a lovely badge from The Hornby Railway Company! Does anyone know what this was? Was it a badge for employees or for collectors of the trains? I do know that it's now mine and I really like it! lol!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
If it looks like this image then it would appear that it is an old Hornby Collectors Club badge that was issued to members with a numbered certificate.

Bluejay55

Was round at my big sister's house which at one time was the house I grew up in for a visit and she gave me a badge that was discovered under the floor boards when a few were being renewed. It's a lovely badge from The Hornby Railway Company! Does anyone know what this was? Was it a badge for employees or for collectors of the trains? I do know that it's now mine and I really like it! lol!

Hi there. Your mystery badge probably dates pre-world war 2. Prior to 1937 Hornby invited any owner of a Hornby Train Set to become a member. An official application form was filled in and sent to Hornby headquarters at Binns Road, Liverpool together with 6d in stamps in payment for the official badge 'The Hornby Railway Company'. This 'club' was divided into two sections - Senior, for members aged 12 and upwards and Junior for members under 12. A special booklet dealing with model railway working was prepared for each of these sections. Hornby announced that the 'club' was formed for the sole purpose of enabling all Hornby Railway owners to obtain 100% fun from their hobby. When a boy became a member he obtained the great privilege of expert advice entirely free on all the problems that arose in connection with his own railway...
Hope this is of some help to you.

HawkeyeTheNoo

Hi there. Your mystery badge probably dates pre-world war 2. Prior to 1937 Hornby invited any owner of a Hornby Train Set to become a member. An official application form was filled in and sent to Hornby headquarters at Binns Road, Liverpool together with 6d in stamps in payment for the official badge 'The Hornby Railway Company'. This 'club' was divided into two sections - Senior, for members aged 12 and upwards and Junior for members under 12. A special booklet dealing with model railway working was prepared for each of these sections. Hornby announced that the 'club' was formed for the sole purpose of enabling all Hornby Railway owners to obtain 100% fun from their hobby. When a boy became a member he obtained the great privilege of expert advice entirely free on all the problems that arose in connection with his own railway...
Hope this is of some help to you.

Wow, great stuff thanks for that! :)

snail

Established Member
Hi there. Your mystery badge probably dates pre-world war 2.
I have two at home which my dad got from Hornby in the 60s. Around the same time a picture of his train set was published in the Meccano Magazine members section. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.