• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby Stannier 8F Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Hello
My Hornby Tender Drive Stannier 8F seems to have run in to a spot of bother
Normally with a tender drive loco i would just scrap it because tender drive locos are usually poor runners.
But this one however runs brilliantly which is why i will go through the effort of repairing it. It also has a nice light in the firebox.

The tender is connected to the main body through a hole with a spring attached. The tender has a thick gold metal pin which inserts through this hole and presumably recieves current from the locos pickups

However when running, there seems to be electrical problems on the connection between the locomotive and tender, resulting in an electrical buzzing, blue light and followed by a short circuit requiring a power reset.

My question is why is it doing this and how can it be resolved? The wiring all seems fine and is rather new (its an old model with little use).

A video of the connector when the power is on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhC5UmAxAqM

It will eventually cut the power. Sometimes I can get a run on it, usually in reverse but i would like it to run forward without cutting the power.

Much appreciated any assistance :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
You get arcing when the connection is intermittent (due to wear in this case) although that wouldn't normally trip the overload unless caused by the starting current being effectively maintained for too long due to the repeated stop/start. If that's the case you may need to repair the connector, you could bypass it with flexible wires and a small connector. Another possibility is perhaps you have a short circuit somewhere, the only thing I can think of is carbon build up in the commutator.

Just a thought, you say it runs better in reverse that could be because the connector has had less wear in that direction.

Last edited:

trainmania100

Established Member
Thankyou ;) I'll look for a replacement somewhere
I'm pretty sure it's the connection between the tender and the loco
Motor is fine :) I replaced the carbon brushes and springs recently too.

Status
Not open for further replies.