• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby/Triang Super 4 track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm vaguely considering possibilities for building a layout in my garage, and I'm keen to keep things cheap. I also rather like a lot of vintage Triang models, which I could fancy running alongside newer stuff.

When I was a kid, I had a Triang Dock Shunter, which ran (just about) on Hornby System 6 track, but it didn't half bump about and clatter because of the giant wheel flanges on older models. If, therefore, I wanted to run old and new alongside each other, would I be better off using Super 4 track? I know it's quite "chunky" looking, but I reckon it's decent enough, and getting hold of it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

Is building a layout using such old kit wise, or am I bonkers to even consider it? Would it just be better to swap the wheels on older models?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plarailfan

I've had loads of different layouts over many decades and I started off with Hornby Dublo, which has a good solid and robust track system, that is still, very reliable today.
The Tri-ang, along some of the vintage Hornby track systems, can sometimes develop varying degrees of rust, producing poor running qualities.
Tri-ang wheels generally seem to run ok on Hornby Dublo track. A PECO track rubber is a good tool for keeping the rails clean, providing there is no rust present.

big all

On Moderation
i adopted peco streamline nickel sliver and jackson/romford wheels as i had many wagons and locos from the early 70 but some from as far back as possibly the 50s with split frames
the trouble with running mixed flange sizes is the heavy dancing over the frogs and the overly large gaps between check rails and point blades to running rail

Status
Not open for further replies.