• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornsmill viaduct (Hertford loop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grippo

I've seen that there's 5 months of works planned on Hornsmill Viaduct, I've googled to see what's planned but can't find any info about it. Does anyone know what's being done? TIA!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheHSRailFan

I've searched up the local council's planning premission site for nothing to be found. I think your getting confused over the viaduct works on the ECML at Digswell more west of hornsmill. If there is a planning premission notice then please upload an image. Thanks

R G NOW.

Wonder why the walls are cracking, was it a cheap viaduct when built?. Usually they last for ages. Lastly does anyone know when it was built.

Ediswan

Established Member
Probably Hertford Loop original, so built around 1924. My guess would be that ground has moved. The ground in the area is soft, there are gravel pits all over. Plus there is a lot of water about. The nearby garden centre has been flooded in the past.

R G NOW.

Probably Hertford Loop original, so built around 1924. My guess would be that ground has moved. The ground in the area is soft, there are gravel pits all over. Plus there is a lot of water about. The nearby garden centre has been flooded in the past.
So on unstable ground then. So when built did not have deep enough foundations I suppose.

Mcq

It has nothing to do with the Hertford Loop!
It was wrong in the original article and that has been continued.
The Hertford Loop completely avoids Welwyn to Stevenage - part of its attraction.

Grippo

Makes a lot of sense, and it all adds up now I think about the flooding that's often seen very close by - that had an impact on a recent retirement home planning application that wanted to place the access road close to this location (effectively at the bottom of the flood plain!!!).

Just to clear up some confusion, this absolutely is the Hornsmill viaduct on the Hertford loop, not the Digswell viaduct between Welwyn and Svg on the ECML.

Thanks all!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Makes a lot of sense, and it all adds up now I think about the flooding that's often seen very close by - that had an impact on a recent retirement home planning application that wanted to place the access road close to this location (effectively at the bottom of the flood plain!!!).

Just to clear up some confusion, this absolutely is the Hornsmill viaduct on the Hertford loop, not the Digswell viaduct between Welwyn and Svg on the ECML.

Thanks all!
You can see some possible cracks in it on Google Streetview

Bedpan

Established Member
Pre 2005 I used to drive under it on the way home from work when I worked in Hertford and even back then, subsidence monitoring was continually being carried out. I had no idea that the line was completed as recently as 1924.

Mcq

My appologies regarding Hornsmill lane being on the ECML - I had forgotten this bit of the B158 was called that.
That part of the bridge is right beside the Lea - if that's relevant.

TheHSRailFan

Got this pic from a friend who is local and they have seemed to have started during this outbreak
IMG_20200515_154033.jpg

Mcq

Thanks for pic I imagine a difficult job.
Can you imagine what it would be like if similar problems showed up on the Digswell viaduct

Status
Not open for further replies.