• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hot Box Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Myself and Seth had a little discussion about hot-box detectors. Do they work on some sort of infa-red system, simular to that used by Police/Search & Rescue helicopters?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

they scan the tempretures, and if there is a large difference in the tempretures on each axle, there will be an alarm sounded, and the signal in advance will be returned to on. They do detect infra red radiated from the hot axle.

Simming

The Modern Signalling Handbook also quotes that signalmen could ignore the alarm if it was trigged by the heritage DMU stock.

Coxster

Established Member
I got wondering after Alistair (a few guys know him from here) was showing me how hot 'Richborough Castle' was.

Simming

I dont quite think you know what a hot box is 1288.

they are positioned next to the rails, on the outside.

Met Driver

Established Member
Simming said:

The detectors are, yes.

gaje - A Hot Box is an overheated axle journal or bearing caused by poor lubrication, admission of sand or grit etc., or overtight fit of axle ends.

TheSlash

Established Member
Simming said:
I dont quite think you know what a hot box is 1288.

I think he's right Simming, the 225 sets have inbuilt monitoring systems.

Hot boxes are a nightmare, you need to dump at the very nearest location, not the most convient, so places like goods yards that haven't been used for 30 years. Then you need to go and fit a wheel skate {a craddle to move the siezed axle}, then you need to skate it to the nearest lifting depot {Eastleigh, Bournemouth, Wimbledon, Brighton etc}, 5mph across points and crossings, 25mph on plain line

Status
Not open for further replies.