• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hot day at the Lickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewmay

On Friday 17/06/05 I had a good days spotting at the Lickey Incline. I caught the delayed CT service to Birmingham. I got on at Bromsgrove, at the bottom of the Incline, and during the day it was very hot and humid which is perhaps the reason for the problems. It was a 2-car 170 I had noticed earlier that they particularly struggle up the Incline. The train was full and about 30 seconds after we departed the lights went out but the emergency lights and the destination boards inside stayed on. The front engine was still running but we were getting slower and slower until we were about 70 yards from the top going at about 5 mph the engine shuddered and shut down at which point the guard walked up to the drivers compartment and chatted to him. The driver slammed the brakes on and we cam to a hault. After having a quick chat with the guard he said that the rear engine had shut down which is when the lights went out. The front engine had then shut down which is when we stopped. The driver then tried to start the front engine which it did but then promptly shuddered and stopped again. The driver decided to wait for a few minutes and then managed to start the front engine which pulled us slowly up to the top of the incline and at about 35mph through to Barnt Green. The driver then stopped again and after another few minutes he started the rear engine and we proceeded at a normal speed back to Birmingham. At Birmingham the driver walked back along the train and I heard him remark "ruddy thing" which summed up my thoughts too. Because of the heat the engines must have overheated. It provided some entertainment on and otherwise boring journey home.

Photos from my days spotting at the Lickey Incline can be seen at my fotopic site.

Cheers,
Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last week I was on a CT back from Cardiff and we stopped near Bromsgrove and then went slowly. At Birmingham it was announced everyone had to get off as the train was terminating there. A different unit continued to Nottingham.

Did yours get terminated at Birmingham?

I have not often got CT on that route (I normally get Virgin) but twice I've had trains be terminated at Birmingham New Street!

andrewmay

Yes, mine terminated at Birmingham New Street but it was scheduled to do so. I think that if it was going to Nottingham it would have terminated anyway because they would want to make sure the train was safe.

jdjonnay

Some very nice pics there, the lickey is a place I've always wanted to go photting. Only time I've ever been up it was behind 2 heavyweight 37s on a 13 car train, which topped it without much bother - a testament to their power!

Looks like you had a good day bar the incident on the 170!

Jon

Techniquest

Veteran Member
mmm, sounds like perfect spotting weather there. It is here too, but I'm stuck inside on the Internet and BVE! Still getting some 37/4 action in here, to the extent that 37408 for BVE rocks!

How did you get to Lickey? OR was it just spotting at Bromsgrove?

andrewmay

I got to theat spot by getting off at Bromsgrove and walking back up the Incline via some roads. I travel up Pikes Pool Lane which is on the right hand side of the line if your facing up the Incline, and eventually find a field from which you can get trackside and get shots like mine.

If you want more information just PM me.

Cheers,
Andrew

jd

andrewmay said:
Yes, mine terminated at Birmingham New Street but it was scheduled to do so. I think that if it was going to Nottingham it would have terminated anyway because they would want to make sure the train was safe.

But surely if there was any safety risk they'd tip out ASAP (like at Barnt Green)?

Status
Not open for further replies.