• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hotels with Private Rail Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bystander

While not strictly a dedicated branch to an hotel, the Harrow and Wealdstone - Stanmore branch (the "Harrow & Stanmore Railway") came about and was built with the specific intention of bringing guests to the Bentley Priory hotel. This link has more details: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/stanmore_village/index.shtml

The branch is the one featured in Alan Hollinghurst's "The Stranger's Child" as the line to Two Acres, which is how I found out about it.

Fascinating thread thank you.

Rgds,
Y

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Grand Central in New York had a connection (track 61) adjacent to the Waldorf Astoria hotel .....there is a bullet proof baggage car down there to this day.

caliwag

Fascinating Yorksdriver, thanks for that. Must check out the films...

What a shame the station was replaced by the dreariest of chalet bungalows...muppets.

aylesbury

A statley home in the north had its own railway to the canal for coal,wood etc.Not a railway but a hotel at Hereford(I think) had its own link from the platform to the hotel and St Michaels Mount in Cornwall has its own railway but it finishes at the wet bit!

fsmr

A statley home in the north had its own railway to the canal for coal,wood etc.Not a railway but a hotel at Hereford(I think) had its own link from the platform to the hotel and St Michaels Mount in Cornwall has its own railway but it finishes at the wet bit!

This is what i love about forums, you can just switch the points and head of up the branch LOL

Belvoir Castle in Leics had one of the early cast iron rail and stone block tramways in the Uk to supply the castle with stores
some rail survives
All the circ 1815 1 hp hunslet locos (sorry horses) have died though:roll:

http://www.ngrm.org.uk/Collections/PrivateRailways/BelvoirCastleTramway

caliwag

This is what i love about forums, you can just switch the points and head of up the branch LOL

Belvoir Castle in Leics had one of the early cast iron rail and stone block tramways in the Uk to supply the castle with stores
some rail survives
All the circ 1815 1 hp hunslet locos (sorry horses) have died though:roll:

http://www.ngrm.org.uk/Collections/PrivateRailways/BelvoirCastleTramway

I agree, it is like opening an encyclopedea or dictionary and just letting serendipity take hold...this is a great thread TMM.

The Sand Hutton light railway in Yorkshire must have been a real gem...though not a hotel that I am aware of, Sand Hutton Hall (only a few miles from York) built the system to transfer agricultural produce, coal. minerals, general merchandise and bricks to/from the exchange platform at Warthill on the York to Beverley line.
On summer Saturdays and market days a coach serving light teas (I kid you not) was attached. (it carried over 2000 passengers in 1925) It survives on the Lincolnshire Coast light.
The narrow Gauge Society produced (and reprinted) a 64 page illustrated book by K.E. Hartley (not he of fishing fame!)

Status
Not open for further replies.