• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hotels with Private Rail Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
Gleneagles Hotel had a private rail line/siding from the Crieff-Gleneagles line. The route can be found on some old ordnance survey maps.

There's very limited information about this goods/freight line on the internet...

It did get me wondering though. How many hotels benefitted from their own private line?

(Clearly many hotels were built at or alongside major stations and termini.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

caliwag

I recall reading about a dedicated overhead electric tramway to a hotel at Cruden bay, Aberdeenshire, i think associated with a golf course. I'll see what I can find.
Gleneagles was shunted as part of the daily Gleneagles (originating in Stirling) to Crieff goods...probably as late as early 60s...if interested i have articles!!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Saltburn had an extension from the station to The Zetland Hotel (now flats) which I think was for first class passengers only but I'm not sure on that last point.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Saltburn had an extension from the station to The Zetland Hotel (now flats) which I think was for first class passengers only but I'm not sure on that last point.

Indeed (I think you may be correct about the last point too).

Some interesting pictures at the bottom of this page: http://www.huntcliff.co.uk/schoolsite/histweb/Huntcliff%20Website/LocalHistory/Modern/PhotoArchive/ZetlandHotel/ZetlandHotel.htm

Bill EWS

caliwag

The Cruden bay hotel had a fantastic reputation it seems with French and Italian chefs...the second world war did for it however with the Italian chef interned as an alien!
The military took the place over though it was still served with a daily freight until the end of the war...no buyer could be found and the place was demolished by 1952. Not sure how late the electric tram ran however!

LE Greys

Established Member
The Cruden bay hotel had a fantastic reputation it seems with French and Italian chefs...the second world war did for it however with the Italian chef interned as an alien!
The military took the place over though it was still served with a daily freight until the end of the war...no buyer could be found and the place was demolished by 1952. Not sure how late the electric tram ran however!

31st of December 1940, according to the link below. Sounds interesting, I shall have to investigate next time I'm up there.

http://www.lner.info/locos/Electric/crudenbay.shtml

WatcherZero

Established Member
There was that station on Railway Journeys that had a tunnel in the cliff between the hotels and platforms only first class passengers could use.

caliwag

Excellent links there (excuse the golfing pun) Bill and LE Greys...cheers.:D

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
That was at Great Malvern station. A passenger foot tunnel between the station and the Imperial Hotel.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/8321716.Step_back_in_time_through_the_Worm/

Most interesting station, the worm is visible from platform two, overgrown with vegetation plus the subway between the platforms, the ramp gives an idea of what the worm would have looked like in its hayday.
A station in my opinion that satisfys todays Equality regulations when it was built without the requirement to spend a lot of £ on upgrading,perhaps the ramp is the only problem with its steep climb. Enjoyed seeing it when I visited the three Counties showground during Thames train days.

Bob

caliwag

Re Gleneagles, I have seen a photograph of a passenger coach, probably in a mixed train, in the hotel 'yard'. I cannot remember where but...post nationalisation though. Probably a party of golfers. Crieff had daily through coaches from Edinburgh and Glasgow so it presumably posed no problem to serve the Hotel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I understand that several hospitals were served by railways...here is such a one, though it may not interest you!

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Whittingham Hospital

pitdiver

When I was younger we had a Hospital opposite that had it's railway line coming off the mainline. Coal and other materials would be carried into the Hospital via a Turntable that would turn the wagons through 90 degrees.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
There's a story, which is similar to an hotel with a private Railway line, attached to the cliff-top location in Yorkshire called Ravenscar.
Someone else will have more detail, but I'm sure the landowner was simultaneously constructing the railway between Whitby and Scarborough and an hotel at the remote village known as Ravenscar, as well as being responsible for starting to build a community at the village which included inventing the name for the place.

While wishing the hotel to be served by the railway line, he didn't want it to be visible by guests, so arranged for it to run through a tunnel.

The schemes were not a success. There's just a handful of residents at Ravenscar today.

andchafri

When I was younger we had a Hospital opposite that had it's railway line coming off the mainline. Coal and other materials would be carried into the Hospital via a Turntable that would turn the wagons through 90 degrees.

Also serving a hospital was the line to Hellingly hospital in Sussex. It was the first and only line in Sussex to have overhead electrification

John55

Also serving a hospital was the line to Hellingly hospital in Sussex. It was the first and only line in Sussex to have overhead electrification

Although not entirely conventional in any respect The Brighton & Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway was in Sussex (at least at low tide!) and used trolley poles to pick up current from the overhead wires.

Gareth

Established Member
Not UK, or even in the present, but when Romania was under Nicolae Ceausescu's oppressive regime, his stupendously huge palace had a pretty sizable railway station underneath it so that he didn't need to mix with the 'plebs'.

Unofrtunately, I can't find any photos of this. I assume it was quickly ripped out when Ceausescu was toppled and was probably never photographed during his regime.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Not UK, or even in the present, but when Romania was under Nicolae Ceausescu's oppressive regime, his stupendously huge palace had a pretty sizable railway station underneath it so that he didn't need to mix with the 'plebs'.

Unofrtunately, I can't find any photos of this. I assume it was quickly ripped out when Ceausescu was toppled and was probably never photographed during his regime.

I believe he had a private Motorway tunnel under the city too.

Established Member

Was going to mention that - would have been quite fantastic to step straight from the train into the hotel.

Jan

Hmm, to me, this rather sounds like a slightly distorted version of another, more popular urban myth, which says that he had built a private underground line linking his palace and Otopeni airport.
There actually is, as far as I know, a tunnel linking his former palace and a nearby underground station, and there might be other tunnels between government buildings in the city centre, but in my opinion, anything else is probably just an urban myth.

LE Greys

Established Member
Hmm, to me, this rather sounds like a slightly distorted version of another, more popular urban myth, which says that he had built a private underground line linking his palace and Otopeni airport.
There actually is, as far as I know, a tunnel linking his former palace and a nearby underground station, and there might be other tunnels between government buildings in the city centre, but in my opinion, anything else is probably just an urban myth.

There were certainly the tunnels that the Top Gear mob went zooming around in, although I haven't the foggiest what purpose they served. Part of it might be conflating with the tunnels under the Kremlin that connect to the Moscow Metro, which is sufficiently deep that it can serve as a nuclear shelter if need-be. The original plan if the West attacked was to evacuate the Politburo by train to a large bunker in the Urals, although they realised later how vulnerable the railway was and switched to helicopters, but still had the Metro to get to the airport if they had to.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's a story, which is similar to an hotel with a private Railway line, attached to the cliff-top location in Yorkshire called Ravenscar.
Someone else will have more detail, but I'm sure the landowner was simultaneously constructing the railway between Whitby and Scarborough and an hotel at the remote village known as Ravenscar, as well as being responsible for starting to build a community at the village which included inventing the name for the place.

While wishing the hotel to be served by the railway line, he didn't want it to be visible by guests, so arranged for it to run through a tunnel.

The schemes were not a success. There's just a handful of residents at Ravenscar today.

Pity, Scarborough-Whitby seems like a useful link in the summer months.

pitdiver

I know Hellingly Hospital. If I recall it was a psychiatric hospital similar to the one where I lived.

Played in a band once at Hellingly Hospital once.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pity, Scarborough-Whitby seems like a useful link in the summer months.

Once upon a time it would have been possible to travel from Hull to Middlesbrough via the coast. Whilst I have no idea of the service pattern along the various lines (I assume changes would have been needed at Scarborough and Whitby) it would have been useful for me travelling home from Uni to be able travel on those lines. All gone now of course :( Scarborough - Whitby to the Beeching Axe and Saltburn - Whitby before that due to the low ridership (excepting summer months) and high infrastructure maintenance costs.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Its not that unusual for these kinds of facilities to be located under the government quarter of any capital city. I once heard its possible to get from the Palace of Westminster to Admiralty Arch without going above ground, or into any public area.

Isn't there also a London Underground stop that was maintained during the Cold War as a route to evacuating Policitians, Senior Civil Servants and Royals from London, should "the balloon go up, and the lights go out"?

Established Member
One of the reasons I believe the line through Ravenscar was closed was due to a very steep gradient on one section.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
On the Preston and Longridge railway, there was a branch line which branched off at Grimsargh, that served Whittingham Hospital, which was the largest mental (sic) hospital in Britain.

The two-mile long branch line was built in 1887 and fully operational from 1889 to its closure date of 30th June 1957. It was built to carry coal and other goods to the hospital and also provided transport and visitors and free transport for the staff in converted brake vans. The trains (as many as 12 per day) were timed to connect with the trains at Grimsargh.

The locomotives used on this branch line were industrial types, but there was one exception, which was purchased from British Railways in February 1948 and was an ex-London, Brighton and South Coast Railway locomotive, number 357 "Riddlesdown"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.