• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Houston police chief hits out at politicians and NRA after officer death

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I found this police chief's address very moving and remarkable for someone in his position to speak out so strongly against politicians.
Houston's police chief Art Acevedo criticised politicians for not standing up to the National Rifle Association after the fatal shooting of an officer. 'The NRA doesn't like the fact that we want to take firearms out of the hands of boyfriends that abuse their girlfriends. And who killed our sergeant? A boyfriend abusing his girlfriend,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Don't see American police chiefs making such statements after their officers have shot and killed innocent people without any justification do we?

DerekC

Established Member
Thoughts and prayers?

That's what Trump offers every time as an alternative to actually doing anything (but probably that's why you said it).

Don't see American police chiefs making such statements after their officers have shot and killed innocent people without any justification do we?

It's all part of the same problem. The universal presence of guns means that police have to carry and sometimes they make mistakes (and occasionally you get rogues).

DaleCooper

Established Member
It's all part of the same problem. The universal presence of guns means that police have to carry and sometimes they make mistakes (and occasionally you get rogues).

...and scared cops because they never know when they're going to encounter someone with a gun.

DerekC

Established Member
It really is an extraordinary culture to us. When working in Pennsylvania (a pretty civilised bit) I was given a lift in an (equally civilised) colleague's car to discover that he had a gun and didn't need a licence for it as long as it wasn't concealed. He was astonished at my surprise and even more astonished when I said I had never fired a hand gun and didn't want to start. "What would you do if someone breaks into your house?" was the question he kept asking.

Kingspanner

It really is an extraordinary culture to us. When working in Pennsylvania (a pretty civilised bit) I was given a lift in an (equally civilised) colleague's car to discover that he had a gun and didn't need a licence for it as long as it wasn't concealed. He was astonished at my surprise and even more astonished when I said I had never fired a hand gun and didn't want to start. "What would you do if someone breaks into your house?" was the question he kept asking.
Well, I wouldn't shoot them and they wouldn't shoot me, which would be start.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When this topic came up before, someone pointed out that Switzerland has a similar high rate of gun ownership but hardly any gun crime, and that got me thinking. I wonder if the problem is actually more in the American folk memory of the Wild West, reinforced by movies and translating to any number of current day cop shows, where the happy ending nearly always involves the good guy shooting somebody.

DerekC

Established Member
When this topic came up before, someone pointed out that Switzerland has a similar high rate of gun ownership but hardly any gun crime, and that got me thinking. I wonder if the problem is actually more in the American folk memory of the Wild West, reinforced by movies and translating to any number of current day cop shows, where the happy ending nearly always involves the good guy shooting somebody.

There's an interesting article here which discusses the differences between Switzerland and the US:

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Eur...-its-gun-culture-takes-different-path-from-US

In summary, guns in Switzerland are mostly held by members of the national citizen militia who have been trained by the army in their use and their possession is seen as part of the defence of Switzerland rather than defence of the individual. They now have a fairly strict licensing system and it's illegal to carry a loaded weapon in the street.

Big differences from the US, I think, although probably fairly close to what the writers of the Second Amendment had in mind. I do agree there is a big cultural factor. Many people in the US see guns as a symbol of individual freedom against authority.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There's an interesting article here which discusses the differences between Switzerland and the US:

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Eur...-its-gun-culture-takes-different-path-from-US

In summary, guns in Switzerland are mostly held by members of the national citizen militia who have been trained by the army in their use and their possession is seen as part of the defence of Switzerland rather than defence of the individual. They now have a fairly strict licensing system and it's illegal to carry a loaded weapon in the street.

Big differences from the US, I think, although probably fairly close to what the writers of the Second Amendment had in mind. I do agree there is a big cultural factor. Many people in the US see guns as a symbol of individual freedom against authority.
Thanks for that, very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.