How busy have your trains been?

bramling

Established Member
The trains around East Lancashire seemed quite busy, considering the lockdown by stealth.
I did a little run up the GN Peterborough route this afternoon, partly as there was somewhere I needed to go, and partly taking the opportunity to get some 365 action.

It was surprisingly busy, I’d have thought with the engineering work and thus no service to London it would be largely empty, but not so at all - though I had no trouble getting the front carriage to myself both ways. It was also an hourly service compared to half hourly on a normal Saturday.

Like some of my observations earlier in the week, the demographic was again conspicuously trashy. This doesn’t bode well to be honest. I know Saturdays don’t bring out the suit types, however this looked like what one would find on the Skegness line in summer rather than Home Counties; or perhaps to put it another way more like what one would expect to find on buses round here rather than the railway. Clearly a lot of people are still deserting the railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I did a little run up the GN Peterborough route this afternoon, partly as there was somewhere I needed to go, and partly taking the opportunity to get some 365 action.

It was surprisingly busy, I’d have thought with the engineering work and thus no service to London it would be largely empty, but not so at all - though I had no trouble getting the front carriage to myself both ways. It was also an hourly service compared to half hourly on a normal Saturday.

Like some of my observations earlier in the week, the demographic was again conspicuously trashy. This doesn’t bode well to be honest. I know Saturdays don’t bring out the suit types, however this looked like what one would find on the Skegness line in summer rather than Home Counties; or perhaps to put it another way more like what one would expect to find on buses round here rather than the railway. Clearly a lot of people are still deserting the railway.
The clientelle on my trains seemed sufficiently trashy. It included me afterall :lol:

Joking aside, the trains were lots of young people, lots of families as you'd expect.

To be fair the Blackpool North - Leeds/Colne services have never got many suit and tie types to start off with. I think that Northern's traditional lack of ABC1 types is probably a more robust client base.

greyman42

Established Member
I travelled on the 1158 York to London yesterday. There were 2 passengers including myself in the coach i was sat in.