• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderer

GWR has been very well loaded on the Bristol area services. Yesterday the 17:00 from Bristol to Paddington was 5 coaches and was heaving leaving Bath. Distancing wasn’t possible. I boarded a local train to Warminster yesterday from Bath and wasn’t able to get a seat, every seat pair was taken with three people sitting in the bays of 6!

Trains to beaches, tourist spots and cities will probably be even busier this summer due to people staying in the UK for their holidays. I hope the TOCs are preparing for that!
Hardly! I know XC are not running their extra Holiday-maker summer Saturday services to Paignton, Newquay or Penzance, just a amended Covid timetable dictated by the DFT which is practically a reduced winter timetable. Nice to see the Government “helping” these classic seaside resorts which will be busier than ever this year by not providing direct holiday maker train services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I’ve noticed that several of the XC services I’ve been on between Birmingham and Manchester /vv have been disgustingly busy, even with XC pretending trains are ‘sold out’ on their website.

With crowding comes the groups of drunkards and that’s something I’ve definitely not missed!

LeeLivery

Established Member
The Jubilee line was rammed (and very hot) on Saturday. Wasn't very pleasant for anyone other than TfL's accountants

gallafent

Yesterday the 17:00 from Bristol to Paddington was 5 coaches and was heaving leaving Bath. Distancing wasn’t possible.
Perhaps they should start enforcing the compulsory reservations. Will be on a Chiltern 165 next week instead of a GWT IET, since I couldn't book on the latter.

Established Member
The Jubilee line was rammed (and very hot) on Saturday. Wasn't very pleasant for anyone other than TfL's accountants

So was the Central line, but then there wasn’t any Circle / H&C / District line so other lines were taking those passengers.

Mind you people still insist on cramming aboard as if it is the last train on earth. Another two minutes and position yourself where the previous train was most lightly loaded and you get a much better chance of some space, or even a seat If very lucky.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Went on lots of GA services on 31st May and some LNWR 350s on the same day.

It was the busiest I've personally seen the railway since Covid became a thing! :D

I'm glad passenger numbers are increasing again, we've got to make some money to keep the system going strong! ;)

Roast Veg

Established Member
XC busy indeed even North of York over the bank holiday weekend. Quite a few disputes over reserved seats too...

northernchris

Established Member
With crowding comes the groups of drunkards and that’s something I’ve definitely not missed!

Indeed, Saturdays are back to being a no go for TPE services on the north route. The Hull services have reverted back to solo 185s outside of the peaks so social distancing is rarely possible and combined with the majority of passengers treating the train as a travelling Wetherspoons its not a nice environment at all

CAF397

On Northern the 195s still have 1/3 of each carriage block out at the ends near the cabs. Apparently so the guard can carry out their duties safely which makes zero sense as they don’t use this area at all. This has meant on 2 carriage northern services 2/3 of a carriage has been blocked off. It is really poor and leads to major overcrowding issues.
But the TOCs don’t deal with the aftermath of overcrowding, the NHS does, so to them it doesn’t matter.
Its to do with the locations of the Guards Operating Panels, they need access to both doors on both sides depending on the side of the platform.

So this is their H&S at work procedure so they don't have to squeeze past loads of passengers.

Yes, it's not great, but at the end of the day they are at work and have a right to work safely.

DanNCL

Established Member
LNER, TPE and Northern all seemed to be well loaded in the North East today, XC on the other hand, the two services from them I used today were both quiet.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It seems a good job the railway didn't go for the special offers being suggested on here if they are filling trains at standard prices.

Nym

Established Member
Its to do with the locations of the Guards Operating Panels, they need access to both doors on both sides depending on the side of the platform.

So this is their H&S at work procedure so they don't have to squeeze past loads of passengers.

Yes, it's not great, but at the end of the day they are at work and have a right to work safely.
Thanks to the short sighted design of not even having the wiring to the cabs for these.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Wonderful to see. Bring it on ;-p
I agree wholeheartedly. People whining about how social distancing isn't possible on crowded trains don't seem to realise that social distancing is only advice and not law.

Now the pandemic is all but over we need to get back to fully occupied trains and stop being so precious about not sitting next to strangers.

dk1

Veteran Member
I agree wholeheartedly. People whining about how social distancing isn't possible on crowded trains don't seem to realise that social distancing is only advice and not law.

Now the pandemic is all but over we need to get back to fully occupied trains and stop being so precious about not sitting next to strangers.
Too true mate. So many scaredy-cats out & about that jump at spotting their own shadows after being cooped up for a year or more. I have been checking Twitter after working happy packed local coastal trains the last couple of weeks & amazingly nothing posted. People seem to be taking responsibility for their own actions & getting on with life.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
TFW are suffering with serious overcrowding especially with some routes operating a reduced service reduced formations prompting complaints in regard to social distancing. The most vulnerable routes are the Cardiff Valleys (50% reduction in services) , the Marches particularly when a 2 Car 175 is rammed to the rafters, the North Wales Coast, and between Shrewsbury and Birmingham. Some of these are happening on a daily basis

BJames

Established Member

Too true mate. So many scaredy-cats out & about that jump at spotting their own shadows after being cooped up for a year or more. I have been checking Twitter after working happy packed local coastal trains the last couple of weeks & amazingly nothing posted. People seem to be taking responsibility for their own actions & getting on with life.
I think so too. Some of the people on here would be horrified at how busy some trains have been, it's nice to see people out and about again. Personal accountability is key - if you are horrified about overcrowding it is important to remember that you are part of that crowd - I know some journeys are essential etc but the reality is that people are allowed out again now for non-essential reasons too and you can't expect them not to take advantage of it.

In terms of spare carriages, if possible and practical then sure, add them on, but it's not always possible - some of the busiest services are at hugely different times to pre-covid.

jacksmithyton

On Moderation
Absolutely disgraceful that trains are being short formed while rows of carriages are left empty in depots, if there's an outbreak of covid traced back to one of these services the TOC should be held liable!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Absolutely disgraceful that trains are being short formed while rows of carriages are left empty in depots, if there's an outbreak of covid traced back to one of these services the TOC should be held liable!

Can you give examples where this is happening and what stock ?

skyhigh

Established Member
If you know where these spare trains are please let us know, as we certainly have none!

dk1

Veteran Member
Trains in my neck of the woods are longer than ever & appear to be even busier too. Let it continue I say.

WestRiding

If people have such a problem with busy trains, there is an option. Could always buy a car. Its brilliant to see trains getting used again.

The Ham

Established Member

I've never been keen sitting next to strangers, however that's what's required when trains are busy (which is a good thing and long may it continue).

Mogz

Can you give examples where this is happening and what stock ?
Mk3s, Class 68s and DVTs all laid up at Wembley. Only one Chiltern “silver” set in the timetable at the moment. If these were in use it would allow the DMUs to be doubled up as they usually are.

Killingworth

Established Member
Did Chesterfield-Cheltenham today on XC. Very lightly loaded in both directions. 9 coaches going south, HST 7 coming back. Heavy emphasis on complying with regulations on signage and announcements. Alienated my companion from the start with our reserved seats being windows and not together. Needless to say we ignored that and I sat by the aisle and wasn't challenged. The cost would put me off doing that again, never mind Covid!

Killingworth

Established Member
On Northern the 195s still have 1/3 of each carriage block out at the ends near the cabs. Apparently so the guard can carry out their duties safely which makes zero sense as they don’t use this area at all. This has meant on 2 carriage northern services 2/3 of a carriage has been blocked off. It is really poor and leads to major overcrowding issues.
But the TOCs don’t deal with the aftermath of overcrowding, the NHS does, so to them it doesn’t matter.
On Sunday I saw a 3 car 195 that appeared to have no seats taped off. The guard exited and re-entered the rear cab after walking the length of the train along the platform. As I was on the platform behind that train I can't be 100% certain, but it seemed that a way had been found to use all the capacity and operate safely. It looked to be a well filled train.

james60059

I fully agree, sadly, reading some social media posts, especially regarding East Midlands Railway, some people expect a whole carriage to themselves.

If people have such a problem with busy trains, there is an option. Could always buy a car. Its brilliant to see trains getting used again.

My sentiments exactly.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Today I went riding around to Epping and the Hainault loop. So what you may say.

Loadings on Thameslink very , very good on the 1127 Brighton - almost 75% capacity I reckon and all being sensible - the real eye opener was Liverpool St as to "bustling" with excellent loadings observed on all services running around to Stratford - and the tube very busy with almost an early peak at LST westwards,

Yes the weather is superb , and it is half term - but a good sprinking of real workers around if you note laptops and amended office wear. Good to see the railway working

Status
Not open for further replies.