• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bib

Anyone know how busy the trains that are running today are with given the reduced timetables etc? Or has the strike publicity scared everyone away?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

galwhv69

Anyone know how busy the trains that are running today are with given the reduced timetables etc? Or has the strike publicity scared everyone away?
Victoria - West Croydon fairly empty as usual. SWR from Putney to Clapham was actually slightly less busy (but still many standing) than normal

Silver Cobra

My usual train home from work today (1524 Peterborough to Kings Cross, which I boarded at Biggleswade) was practically empty. I didn't see anyone in the front 6 carriages as it entered the platform, and only one person alighted. Around half a dozen of us boarded at Biggleswade. As I alighted at Arlesey, there were 3 people waiting to board the train. It pretty much felt like how it was back at the height of lockdown.

greyman42

Established Member
Trains on the ECML at York looked pretty much empty. York station was also very quiet.

Killingworth

Established Member
Despite a full screen display on the TVM and a large poster at the entrance advising not to travel I found a family of 3 and a young man waiting for a train into Sheffield at Dore. Probably reassured by a succession of (all but empty) XC and EMR services on the mainline.

Last edited:

VideozVideoz

Quiet at Leeds station this morning at 9.30am. Sheffield Northern train quite full on arrival - I’d say 3/4 full. Guard came down and looked like he was counting heads. No ticket checks and barriers open at Leeds (rare)

The first train out of Blackpool North heading to Manchester Airport was 3 carriages today and was possibly the most unpleasant journey I’ve ever been on. I spent the whole journey crammed into a vestuble with someone’s sweaty armpit directly in my face.

dk1

Veteran Member
First Norwich-London was 2hrs later at 07:05 today and predictably F&S from Manningtree. The following 07:26 also very busy.

VideozVideoz

1442 Winsford - Crewe was very quiet. Loads of carriages though
15:11 Crewe - Manchester. 11 car pendolino. Again quiet but not empty by any stretch

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On Tuesday I took a Thameslink train from Stevenage to Kings Cross at lunchtime. 12-car 700, just me and one other in the 2nd carriage. Coming back at 17:00 the train was also very lightly loaded.

Today, I travelled from Luton Airport Parkway to Corby. Again, a very lightly loaded 8-car train. Had a whole carriage to myself.

VideozVideoz

8:40 Leicester - Derby. Fairly lightly loaded but lots of carriages. Quite a few on at intermediate stations, especially Loughborough

philjo

Established Member
On Friday, the first GN service from Letchworth, Hitchin and Stevenage was the 07:35 stopper, starting at Letchworth. Formed of 8 coaches, Class 387. The section I was in all seats taken after Stevenage. Delays in boarding at Welwyn Garden City and hatfield - train very full by then.
17:05 Kings Cross to Cambridge was 12coach 700. Front section still had empty seats though I think it was fuller further back. I suspect a lot of the Cambridge passengers had headed for the 16:42 Kings Lynn service, judging by the stampede towards platform 10 when that service was announced.

Does anyone know how busy the Avanti Glasgow-Euston services were on strike days? 8 of us will be travelling from Penrith in mid-July. So am looking at options in case it coincides with another strike date.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening I got tbs 17:01 Guildford to Clapham Junction service. It was busy around coaches 5 and 6. People standing. Platform at Guildford was busy there too. So I went to coach 9 to have a set of 2 seats to be myself. I could have had 6 to myself too, in multiple locations. It was a 12-carriage train.

Contrast this with the 23:07 Clapham Junction to Guildford service. Packed and only 8 carriages.

Given the run fewer services Monday to Friday, you'd think South Western Railway might be able to add additional carriages to the services that do run but alas no

Not sure where all these people have come from. With covid rates rising, I'm sure the increased space would be good.

The train stopped additionally at Wimbledon too vut no one got on coach 2.

Earlier in the evening, I got a train from Clapham Junction to London Victoria. The 17:37. Thisvwaany fairly busy but I think I stood. Later I got the tube from Victoria to Euston and Euston to Vauxhall. The first tube was busy so waited for the next one from Victoria. Much more space.

On the return, it was fairly busy but I got a seat after a time

I then got the train for Vauxhall to Clapham Junction. 22;58. Only 8 carriages and the platform was very busy near the front so I went towards the back. Not so busy. I saw a seat free but then stopped a bag on it. As I wasn't going far, I couldn't be bothered to ask the person to move it.

Edit: I forgot to mention the 23:07 Clapham Junction to Guildford service. This was busy and I ended up standing in the vestibule, near the front. I even had others standing close to me. It was of course only 8 carriages and clearly could have done with more carriages.

I accept it would thin out but maybe they could divide it at a station along the route. I mean they divide the Alton And Basingstoke services at Woking on a Sunday.

It transpires I could have got the 22:42 from Clapham Junction to Guildford. A metro service via Cobham, it was diagrammed with a class 450, so would have had working loos

Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
I took the 07:14 from Reading to Birmingham yesterday and the 20:04 return and both were jammed by Birmingham with plenty standing - the 07:14 was only 4 coaches but the 20:04 was 8 so it was very busy

Jimini

Established Member
I saw the 1325 XC service leave Coventry en route for Bournemouth yesterday. Four carriages all full and standing, vestibules packed, line of people standing up in first class etc. Looked.. cosy.

The 1331 to Euston was declassified / full and standing as well, although worth taking into account there were quite a few cancellations during the day on Avanti, yesterday.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Trains to Birmingham yesterday morning and back in the evening were very bus6 due to the Test at Edgbaston.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
09.12 St Pancras - Margate was full and standing throughout five minutes before departure today.

16.26 returning from Canterbury West was also completely full, albeit without any standees this time.

Steddenm

Travelled today from Folkestone Central on the 1100 to St Pancras that was 95% full on departure but then got rammed at Ashford International. Train was then terminated short at Ebbsfleet International due to a fatality on HS1 somewhere and advised to return to Ashford on an additional service that ran wrong line most of the way.

At Ashford took a SE service to Waterloo East that was understandably full and standing.

Bakerloo Line to Paddington was packed until Charing Cross (Pride events).

The GWR service from PAD to Swindon (the Cheltenham service just after 2ish) was also packed solid until departure from Didcot Parkway where it virtually emptied.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yesterday, Sunday 3 July, I got the 9:05 Guildford to Woking. 12 carriages and there was space.

I then got the 09:26, 10 carriage Woking to Poole service. This was busy but I found a set of 2 seats, nearer the front.

Coming back from Winchester, where I'd previously alighted, I got the 17:42 to Woking. This again was 10 carriages and busy.

I finally got the 18:32 Woking to Guildford service. The best chance of a seat was in the front carriage as this was only 8 carriages

As the train arrived at Woking 6 minutes before it was due to depart I wandered down the platform. Very quickly I could see people standing in the visible areas.

The train really could have done with 12 carriages or 10 carriages if it were a 442. Alternatively the fast Portsmouth services via the New Guildford Line, so take some people off this service.

I stood in the vestibule.

The next day, Monday, aka today, I travelled on the 17:11 Guildford to Redhill service. This seemed fairly busy but I still got two seats to myself in the back carriage of three.

I then picked up the delayed 17:58 Redhill to Horley service. This was fairly empty in the back carriage of 12. I had a table and 4 seats to myself.

I often find these trains to be fairly empty. I wonder how busy it would feel if the train from Redhill was only 3 carriages.

Once at Horley I picked up the 18:16 to Haywards Heath. This was busier but I still managed to get 2 seats to myself. Owing to the train that should be in front of our service, being behind us, we arrived at Haywards Heath 6 minutes early. The train in front is a stopping service; stopping at all stations between Gatwick Airport and Haywards Heath, whereas this runs non-stop.

infobleep

Veteran Member
On Friday I got the slightly late running 13:19. Lots of people on the platform so expected it to be busy but actually I got on, coach 7 of this 10 coach train and the two tables behind the loo were empty. Surprising.

Maybe the number of people on the platform was due to the fact there wasn't a train since 12:49.

I don't know if demand has returned yet for a 4th train each hour. There is still one fast train terminating short at Haslemere, which suggests demand isn't there unless it's for some other reason

Once I got to Woking I had to leg it round to pick up a semi-fast service to Surbiton. This I just made, due to our two-minute delay.

This train was reasonably busy but not rammed. I got 2 seats to myself.

So there is demand but I don't know how it compares to pre-March 2020 and whether they should be running more services or not.

This evening I looked up what trains to get from Surbiton to Guildford. National Rail Enquiries recommended a 22:27 via Wimbledon, which is a double back or a direct service also at 22:27.

I don't know why NRE recommends services that are not valid.

As a result, it didn't show up the aloe service was the 22:14 to Woking and then the 22;57 to Guildford. Upon checking there hadn't been a train to Guildford for almost 90 minutes.

Platform 5 was fairly busy. The buses weren't due to run until 23;00. Fortunately, the 22:57 was on time. Being an 8-carriage train, I wasn't sure how busy it would be. I headed to the front where the platform was busier than usual but a little less than further up.

To my surprise, the train wasn't too packed inside and I got an aisle seat in coach 2 in a set of six, which were partly filled.

Some people were standing though.

At Guildford station, it felt like my days of commuting, getting back in the evening rush hour, given the number that alighted from the train.

I guess that's what a 92-minute gap between services does.

On Saturday I got the 12-minute delayed 17:35. No idea why it was late. The guard was being silent.

The platform seemed reasonably busy and the train was fairly busy too. It was an 8 carriage one. Most sets of seats were taken. I decided to walk closer to the front and actually got yep seats to myself in coach 2 but that was the only two spare for quite some coaches.

Once at Clapham Junction I switched to the 18:24 To London Victoria. This was reasonably busy but I got a seat in the first-class section.

This train has no first-class in the timetable. I do accept there are differing views on whether one should sit in first class.

As I had time to kill I walked to Oxford Street. Afterwards, I walked back too and only just made the train as I got disoriented near London Victoria.

I got the 23:10 London Victoria to Clapham Junction. It departs from platform 6. I wasn't aware platform 6 was used by Southern branded services but I looked it up on route, in case I had little time once I arrived.

It was reasonably busy and I got a seat. I think it was either 8 or 12 coaches. I then moved forward to be closer to rge stairs at Clapham Junction and sat down in first class. Again no first class in the timetable. These sections tenses to be quieter. The train was going to Norwood Junction.

Once at Clapham Junction I headed to platform 11, to pick up the Sunday-only 0:25 fast service to Guildford.

Former of 8 carriages of 450 stock, this train wasn't as busy as I would have expected. Coach 2 had plenty of space for me.

As a public service, this train is great. I don't know if as an individual service it makes money. They were supposed to also run it on a Friday night but so far they haven't.

infobleep

Veteran Member
On Monday I planned to get the 17:11 Guildford to Redhill but owing to issues I decided to go for the late running 16:40. The 17:11 but practically on time as it happens but if have been delayed later in my journey on other trains.

This was fairly busy and quite a few people got it from Guildford, despite the fact the preceding stopping service departed almost 30 minutes kate.

I guess this is the power of a fast train or one that actually goes to Gatwick Airport.

I was expecting this train to terminate short at Redhill as we would get stuck behind rge stopping service and I also expected to be told this at the last minute.

True to for this happened. I'd have been rather surprised if it hadn't.

I then headed towards platform 3, as advised but then over the tanky came the announcement one could get a train on platform 2.

So on I boarded the late-running 27:¹⁴, along with everyone else turfed out of the train. Nice surprise for them that they didn't need to head to platform 3, with their luggage.

The train was reasonably busy with some standing but still more than enough seats for people to sit down.

I tensed to the declassified first class at the back. Only kne other person sat here.

There was a speed restriction at Earlswood. Now when I looked up which train to catch, I was advised to change at Horley and not Gatwick Airport.

As it turns out I would have got a better connection at Gatwick Airport but I knew my chances of delay repay were higher at Horley and as I had time, I might as well wait there.

I then got the delayed 17:51 to Haywards Heath. As it started short at East Croydon, it was fairly empty. Unusual for this time of the evening, being empty that shows how many travels from East Croydon vers London Victoria and Clapham Junction combined.

On Tuesday evening I was aiming for the 18:58 Haywards Heath to Gatwick Airport but it was starting short at Three Bridges, owing to signalling problems.

So I ended up on a delayed 18:42, running 20 minutes late.

The 19:12, which I usually get only has 4 cartilage and never is do busy. The 18:42 on the other hand was fairly busy until I got to around carriage 6 when it was much quieter. I think it was just 8 carriages long.

Once at Gatwick Airport I got the 19:29 to Guildford. This was fairly busy but I still got 2 seats to myself. It is only 3 carriages.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Today I got the 19:44 Surbtion to Woking. It was busy and a lot of people got off at Surbtion. It was still fairly busy after that but practically empty by the time it got to Woking.

At Woking I forgot just how far away platform 3 is and had to leg it to pick up the 20:13 service to Guildford.

This was unusually advertised as being formed of 9 coaches. I was in coach 9, which was a 442. It was busy enough but I managed to get 2 seats to myself.

DannyMich2018

12.18 Leicester to Birmingham NS was rammed today due to previous Birmingham service (11.50) cancelled. Only a 2 car 170 it was and when we got off at Hinckley was totally rammed with no room for any more people to board, people at Hinckley just managed to squeeze on. Train east of Leicester are replaced by buses this weekend too.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning I got the 11:05 Guildford to Waterloo service. If one accepts they can't afford to run more trains, one might at least expect them to run trains with 12 carriages on a summer Sunday where it's nice and hot. I guess there aren't enough carriages to go round.

The train was reasonably busy but I did get a set of 2 seats to myself in carriage 7. Some people were standing though but if they didn't mind sitting next to some and leaving their luggage unattended in some cases, they could get seats

Some cycles were blocking one vestibule further towards the front I guess they alighted at Woking.

Once at Clapham Junction I got on the slightly delayed 9:35 to London Victoria. I had a choice of platform 12 or 14. The one on 14 was lulling in and the one on 12 was 2 minutes away.

Little did I know both trains were the 9:35 features and as I was on platform 14 waiting to leave, along came the train to platform 12. It overtook us on route.

The train I was on was empty in the back coach, coach 4, so plenty of space. It had come from Epsom Downs and to my surprise, the timetable said it contained both first and standard class seating. I thought all trains in the timetable through Sutton were standard class only. Especially as this train stops at Battersea Park. Clearly not. It always pays to check. Thanks, Real Time Trains for the info.

We then had to wait outside London Victoria and but still arrived 1 minute early. In contrast, the other 9:35 also arrived a minute early, just 3 minutes earlier. Thavdisjr stop at Battersea Park.

This evening I walked from the Royal Albert Hall to London Victoria because I had time to do so.

I then got the 22:53 to East Grinstead. It was semi-full at the back so maybe not a busy train overall.

Once at Clapham Junction I got a train to Guildford. The 23:09. This was 8 carriages and I shared a set of 6 years with someone else.

This was probably 5 or 6. So a reasonable number but nowhere near packed.

It was the second to last train to Portsmouth via Guildford of the night

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
This morning I got the 11:05 Guildford to Waterloo service. If one accepts they can't afford to run more trains, one might at least expect them to run trains with 12 marriages on a summer Sunday where it's nice and hot. I guess there aren't enough carriages to go round.

The train was reasonably busy but I did get a set of 2 seats to myself in carriage 7. Some people were standing though but if they didn't mind sitting next to some and leaving their luggage unattended in some cases, they could get seats

Some cycles were blocking one vestibule further towards the front I guess they alighted at Woking.

Once at Clapham Junction I got on the slightly delayed 9:35 to London Victoria. I had a choice of platform 12 or 14. The one on 14 was lulling in and the one on 12 was 2 minutes away.

Little did I know both trains were the 9:35 features and as I was on platform 14 waiting to leave, along came the train to platform 12. It overtook us on route.

The train I was on was empty in the back coach, coach 4, so plenty of space. It had come from Epsom Downs and to my surprise, the timetable said it contained both first and standard class seating. I thought all trains in the timetable through Sutton were standard class only. Especially as this train stops at Battersea Park. Clearly not. It always pays to check. Thanks, Real Time Trains for the info.

We then had to wait outside London Victoria and but still arrived 1 minute early. In contrast, the other 9:35 also arrived a minute early, just 3 minutes earlier. Thavdisjr stop at Battersea Park.

This evening I walked from the Royal Albert Hall to London Victoria because I had time to do so.

I then got the 22:53 to East Grinstead. It was semi-full at the back so maybe not a busy train overall.

Once at Clapham Junction I got a train to Guildford. The 23:09. This was 8 carriages and I shared a set of 6 years with someone else.

This was probably 5 or 6. So a reasonable number but nowhere near packed.

It was the second to last train to Portsmouth via Guildford of the night
I did enjoy the idea of a train with 12 marriages. Please dont change it. Made my day

Status
Not open for further replies.