How can I obtain a reservation when holding a Rover ticket?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Bob M, 24 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob M

Bob M Member

If I already have a ticket, and want to make a reservation on a particular train, how do I do it?

In particular, I have a Freedom of Severn and Solent ticket and would like a reservation from Southampton to Cardiff. Can I do this online?

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

No, you'd have to do it at a ticket office, or maybe a TOC Telesales would do it.

3. 185143

185143 Established Member

Try tweeting the TOC? I've made a reservation on EMT for tomorrow, however I haven't even bought the ticket yet

4. First class

First class Established Member

Reservations for FGW are supposed to be £5 each, unless you buy the ticket at the same time.

5. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Do we have a source for that? Does it remove one's right to buy a ticket without any reservations and then go back later to ask for them? Does it apply only at First Great Western ticket offices, or only to FGW services at all ticket offices? I had thought that the idea had been scrapped some time back.

6. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

Not had to do a FGW reservation for a long while, but I do recall a fee for obtaining a reservation after the ticket has been purchased, AGA did the same for a while.

It doesn't remove any rights (refer to NRCoC Condition 40).

I'm pretty sure it is nationwide, but I'd have to check, AGA certainly was.

7. TEW

TEW Established Member

The £5 fee specifically does not apply when the ticket held is a rover though.

8. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Knowledgebase say this:

9. SickyNicky

SickyNicky Verified Rep

You can go to a station not operated by FGW (for example, Hereford) and get reservations on FGW services for free if you already hold a ticket.

10. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

The £5 fee relates to the train you are booking on, not the ticket office you use, so in theory any station should charge you, although in practice non-FGW stations may well be unaware of the policy.

11. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

When it came in, there were dire warnings that FGW (and NXEC and NXEA when they charged) would be checking LENNON to make sure retailers were charging the fee, with promises of reprisals for failure to do so...Dunno if they ever acted upon same mind you.

12. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

The propensity of non-FGW ticket offices to not charge for FGW reservations suggests not!

13. causton

causton Established Member

Put it this way; nobody in my booking office has heard of the fees - and I only knew because I read it on here! Wouldn't have a clue how to charge someone for it though...!

14. CyrusWuff

Depends on what TIS you use, I believe...The East Coast/East Anglia ones were handled as a separate ticket from the appropriate station to "Chargeable Reservation" (NLC I023 if memory serves).

I believe the FGW ones are handled as a Supplement (under "Extras" on FasTIS), though I couldn't tell you whether you can select them at the time of making the reservation (instead of selecting "Complimentary Reservation") or if you need to add them separately.

15. RJ

RJ Established Member

I think there's a permanent reminder in RJIS when it boots up.

16. CyrusWuff

Ahh..The good old "Emergency" Bulletin, which has rarely been used for actual emergencies. :lol:

If only there was some national publication that was regularly sent to Ticket Offices to advise them of such things...They could call it something like, ooh..
    I dunno...Newsrail Express, for example. <D

17. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

This is whole state of affiars is typical of the contemporary Railway Industry in the UK :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.