• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How can I tell if my laptop can support Blu-Ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
As far as I know, my laptop is not designed for Blu-Ray. This is really annoying because there is a certain film (whose name I shall not disclose) I wish to purchase which should have had a DVD release last year, but for whatever reason it was cancelled (even though other parts of Europe did get it). I have however learned that the same film is coming out on April 2nd on Blu-Ray.

I can find nothing on my laptop that suggests it is compatible with Blu-Ray. However, every source I have found on the Internet that either confirms or denies compatibility has suggested that my laptop is compatible with the Blu-Ray format, albeit (according to one source) without the HD advantages Blu-Ray offers. This doesn't bother me much if at all, considering the film is, to my knowledge, not in HD anyway.

So do you think it will be a success? I don't want to buy a Blu-Ray player for the sake of one film that Amazon are accepting pre-orders on for less than £4; if nothing else, I have no Blu-Ray discs (otherwise I would just try it and find out).

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5742.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
EDIT - poor advice having re-read the OP.

Can you borrow a Blu-Ray disc to check it?

Probably, but I'm not sure I want to try it. What if the laptop can't support them and damages the disc, however unlikely?

SS4

Established Member
It would report media not found or something similar. Device manager should be able to tell you if you run windows.

Edit: Alas it doesn't

X DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive:

Read: 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD-ROM, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 6X DVD-ROM DL, 6X DVD-R DL, 6X DVD+R DL, 6X DVD-RW, 6X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM
Write: 24X CD-R, 16X CD-RW, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R DL, 4X DVD+R DL, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM

src

Ivo

Established Member
I checked the spec already and found what you've shown. On the other hand, I'd never even heard of Device Manager before now.

So does this mean that, unless I physically prove otherwise, it doesn't?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Probably, but I'm not sure I want to try it. What if the laptop can't support them and damages the disc, however unlikely?
Simply trying to read a disc will not damage the disc (unless the drive is faulty in the extreme, which you would alrady know from its failure in reading CDs or DVDs).

I support EM2's simple and non-invasive suggestion of attempting to read any other Blu-Ray disc (we don't need to concern ourselves with your secrecy and details of the 'certain film' - any disc would do).

But to respond to your remark "nothing on my laptop that suggests it is compatible with Blu-Ray" reminds me of the extent to which marketing triumphs over technical accuracy. i.e. If a product can do something, then it will say so and boast about it. If a product can't, then it will be silent on the matter and maybe still boast about some of the features of its siblings.

Ivo

Established Member
I support EM2's simple and non-invasive suggestion of attempting to read any other Blu-Ray disc (we don't need to concern ourselves with your secrecy and details of the 'certain film' - any disc would do).

The film is a kid's film. Nothing awkward.

Anyhow, I've tried asking the two people that are around at present - and neither has a Blu-Ray disc available. One of them suggested trying in the University library, but it's unlikely I'd get anywhere until Monday at the very least if I tried that...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So does this mean that, unless I physically prove otherwise, it doesn't?

As long as SS4 has linked to the correct laptop model you can take it as read that it won't play Blu-Rays going from that specification.

GB

Established Member
What does the white/grey writing say on the face of the optical drive? If it only has a DVD symbol then it will only be for DVD. If it supports Blu Ray you should see the Blu Ray symbol/logo.

Ivo

Established Member
What does the white/grey writing say on the side of the optical drive? If it only has a DVD symbol then it will only be for DVD. If it supports Blu Ray you should see the Blu Ray symbol/logo.

That's what I thought. I won't pretend I know what the Blu-Ray symbol looks like - I had to look it up - but there is definitely no symbol that doesn't mention either CD or DVD compatibility. It does however say "Multi Recorder"; does this mean anything?

What I don't understand though is that all the various Internet sources I've seen elsewhere suggest it is compatible, just not with the improved quality one would associate with Blu-Ray discs?

GB

Established Member
Are you saying there is also not a DVD symbol?

What I don't understand though is that all the various Internet sources I've seen elsewhere suggest it is compatible, just not with the improved quality one would associate with Blu-Ray discs?

I suppose that could mean different things.

What max resolution does your screen support?

Ivo

Established Member
It can do DVDs - there is a symbol. That wasn't worded very well.

The maximum resolution is 1366x768.

Crossover

Established Member
It does however say "Multi Recorder"; does this mean anything?

I have a feeling this means nothing more than you have a drive which will record on both CD's and DVD's (given the correct media, naturally)

I have only ever seen one laptop with a Blu-Ray drive and it said it on the side IIRC (the "symbol" is just the words in some weird font isn't it?")

EM2

Established Member
386px-Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png

Ivo

Established Member
This all seems fair enough.

But might I ask you all to check this and this? Both suggest the laptop is at least partially compatible.

All of this for the sake of one film is extremely annoying. Worse is that my brother gave me a copy of the same film (albeit an illegal one) a few years ago on the first laptop I had (now on my third), and I only saw it once on there!

It is one of a long series of films - #7 to be exact. They are now up to 14 (with 15 soon to be released); I have seen up to and including #11.

Some of you might be able to guess what series it is now. If you still can't - look at my user title, my avatar and the first line of my signature.

Crossover

Established Member
OK, that second link suggests you do have a Blu-Ray drive

Quick flick through Google to see how you can tell for sure suggests trying a Blu Ray disc....helpful!

Aside from that, the only way to find out for sure is to get the make/model of the optical drive - I have usually found AIDA32 will show quite a bit of stuff, though not garanteed to

EM2

Established Member
The second review is not on a UK site (the price appears to be in rupees?) so it may be that the same model has different specs in different markets.

SS4

Established Member
Those links do say blu ray will play (although getting blu-ray to play is an arse in my experience, even with a compatible drive) although it's strange they wouldn't advertise such a feature.

The easiest way is to try a blu ray. Alternatively your brother could rip them to disk image/video for his own personal backup ;)

sprite

There may be a varient in the same family as your laptop (for example I have a HP dv6, most are intel chips, mine is the dv6-1216sa and is an AMD chip so VERY different in the respect) that are Blu-ray drive equiped. I would say that it is unlikely that your laptop is capable of playing them as the drive would have it proudly written on its facia.
I would recomend buying an external Blu-Ray player, this connects via USB and most need to be plugged into the mains. This does limit its portabillity. The other option is to buy a laptop internal Blu-Ray drive. I would need to know if the interface on the existing drive is IDE or SATA though (I would bet it was IDE to be honest).
Internal, Laptop (SATA). Blu-Ray READER, DVD/CD BURNER

External, USB Powered. Blu-Ray/DVD/CD BURNER

GB

Established Member
The the answer in the first link is wrong. If it is not a Blu Ray drive (which they say it isnt) it will not play or read blu rays...at all...full stop. Not sure where they got this lower quality information from.

The second link, that specific specification may well include a blu ray drive, unfortunately that doesn't mean yours does as the same model can come with slightly different specs depending on age, location and the retailer.

As your drive does not have the Blu Ray logo i think its safe to say it doesn't play them.

Ivo

Established Member
Aside from that, the only way to find out for sure is to get the make/model of the optical drive - I have usually found AIDA32 will show quite a bit of stuff, though not garanteed to

Now I'm more clueless than before :| I can't make sense of any of the stuff on Google!

I have the following: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N ATA [obviously I understand the DVDRAM bit, which is not encouraging]
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As your drive does not have the Blu Ray logo i think its safe to say it doesn't play them.

Pretty self-explanatory advice there that certainly makes sense, even if it isn't the desired outcome.

I would recomend buying an external Blu-Ray player, this connects via USB and most need to be plugged into the mains. This does limit its portabillity.

And that would be how much exactly?

For the sake of one disc this seems highly expensive and unnecessary.

The other option is to buy a laptop internal Blu-Ray drive. I would need to know if the interface on the existing drive is IDE or SATA though (I would bet it was IDE to be honest).

And yes I have written the same thing twice.

---------------------

The second review is not on a UK site (the price appears to be in rupees?) so it may be that the same model has different specs in different markets.

Rupees?! I only see dollars on that one (still not much use if your deduction is correct though)...

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
That would appear to be an LG GT32N.
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/skyfish422/product-detailFqxQelfMhIcH/China-DVD-ROM.html

edit: too slow <(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/skyfish422/product-detailFqxQelfMhIcH/China-DVD-ROM.html

Suggests it doesn't do Blu-Ray at all

I suspect by doing lower quality (referring to the link you gave) they mean it will only play DVD's which are lower quality. Still badly worded, really

I'd agree with that conclusion.

Crossover

Established Member

For the sake of one disc this seems highly expensive and unnecessary

See sprite's first link. It appears your internal drive is SATA.

CCL do come recommended by the way, if you were to go with them. Just be aware of the carriage charges :)

sprite

I gave a link to each of the options.
See sprite's first link. It appears your internal drive is SATA.

CCL do come recommended by the way, if you were to go with them. Just be aware of the carriage charges :)
I always recomend CCL, I did used to work there in returns. I have also worked for MicroDirect (sales), and would not recomend them.

Crossover

Established Member
I always recomend CCL, I did used to work there in returns. I have also worked for MicroDirect (sales), and would not recomend them.

Did returns keep you busy? ;)

I have been there a few times (being local and all) and had a few things from them. It did get me a reputation at uni though as I always checked out there site for stuff before any other!

The Informer

As far as I know, my laptop is not designed for Blu-Ray. This is really annoying because there is a certain film (whose name I shall not disclose) I wish to purchase which should have had a DVD release last year, but for whatever reason it was cancelled (even though other parts of Europe did get it). I have however learned that the same film is coming out on April 2nd on Blu-Ray.

I can find nothing on my laptop that suggests it is compatible with Blu-Ray. However, every source I have found on the Internet that either confirms or denies compatibility has suggested that my laptop is compatible with the Blu-Ray format, albeit (according to one source) without the HD advantages Blu-Ray offers. This doesn't bother me much if at all, considering the film is, to my knowledge, not in HD anyway.

So do you think it will be a success? I don't want to buy a Blu-Ray player for the sake of one film that Amazon are accepting pre-orders on for less than £4; if nothing else, I have no Blu-Ray discs (otherwise I would just try it and find out).

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5742.

The film will be in HD, that's the whole point of blu-ray. The audio is amazing too especially when hooked up to a thumping surround system.

Bungle73

On Moderation
If it's a BD drive it will say so on the front of the disc tray. "low quality" version. I don't know what this "low quality" BD is, but it's nonsense.

As for the film, if it was filmed on celluloid, then it will be in HD; otherwise what would the point of releasing it on BD?

Status
Not open for further replies.