How did this man not get electrocuted?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by callum112233, 14 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callum112233

callum112233 Member

2. Dave1954

Dave1954 Member

I Thought that too:o

3. robert7111a

robert7111a Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    It looks like he steps on the first juice rail before falling over (and narrowly missing) the second juice rail.

Thoughts with the driver of that first 377....

4. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

Happened in 2011 for those who can't open the article. My phone won't let me quote it.

5. callum112233

callum112233 Member

Sorry, I was aware it happened in 2011 but haven't personally seen the footage until now.

6. class 9

class 9 Member

Yes the footage is from 2011, but is being used in a new Anti trespassing campaign by Network Rail.

7. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

Neither had I, I wasn't being funny or anything I only saw when I read it :)

8. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

If you look at the speed the fat git lifts his belly off the 3rd rail I would hazard a guess that he did get electrocuted and that caused his stomach muscles to contract which would have lifted his not inconsiderable midriff off the rails.

DC makes your muscles contract which is why, if you touch the 3rd rail with your open hand, it makes you grab hold of it, please do not try this, you will probably die eventually!

9. mbreckers

mbreckers Member

My question is why?

What was he hoping to achieve? He left his bike on the other platform and it wasn't as if he was rushing for the train cause it wasn't stopping anyway

10. asharpe

asharpe Member

From the Telegraph

11. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

12. physics34

physics34 Established Member

It's likely that his clothes insulated him from the juice rail. Their 'resistance' was good enough and their conductivity was not.

13. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Member

Classic :lol:

14. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Yeah, I didn't understand it either. Stolen bike possibly?

15. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

Probably just a dare seeing as he timed it for two approaching trains. I imagine he was trying to dash from platform to platform in-between the two, but tripped.

16. TheNewNo2

TheNewNo2 Member

God, what a ****ing idiot.

17. tim.tin

tim.tin Member

Exactly what I was thinking!

18. bengley

bengley Member

Despite his stupidity it has to be said he did a mighty good job at getting out of the way of the train!

19. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

With regard to electric rails, in the past I've watched people walk on them, have tripped over them inadvertently myself (got a jolt) and I trailed a dog which just kept in line with the track all the way from Moor Park to Harrow and got about 10 to 15 belts from the juice rail yet lived to tell the tale (the controller wanted me to run the poor mutt over as the service was being delayed).
    P-Way staff often used to show off by walking on juice rails - a mix of bravado, having insulated boots and jumping on and off the rails and not providing an earth route. All instances of course of complete stupidity from a different era (we used to smoke and eat asbestos for breakfast too).

In a modern context I would say the point is if someone DOES end up on an electric rail don't assume that's it and they are pure Hovis - quick action (getting the current switched off, using non conducting material to move them off the rails - only if safe to do so) can save them. Death by Conductor Rail is not as absolute as death by OHLE

Where OHLE is concerned keep well away -

(link below not for the faint hearted, age restricted, may not be suitable for the site so understand if is deleted BUT hopefully a deterrent to anyone considering graffiti/cable theft/trespass for fun or any other bizarre reason folk may have for climbing on the roof of a train.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNSXJQ5Xs0

20. physics34

yeh the problem is people fall onto the 3rd rail and just "cook".

21. Mutant Lemming

... and you'd just watch them ?

22. physics34

? When did i say id just watch them?

23. Mutant Lemming

People who come in to contact with electrified rails on the whole don't just 'cook' - the implication being (and forgive if I have got you totally wrong) is that there is nothing you can do. The majority of people (including myself) who have come in to contact with conductor rails don't cook usually because it is in a casual or sometimes calculated nature (avoiding earthing).
    In those instances where people do create an earth prompt action can save them - don't assume someone on a conductor rail will 'cook'.

24. SouthStand

SouthStand Member

I disagree. We should be showing this to all 14+ aged school pupils if parents consent.

25. physics34

you misunderstand me, im just saying that if you get electrocuted by conductor rail the way it kills you is you most likely have fallen on it and just stay there and cook, whereas OHLE just throws you and kills you in one big hit... virtually instantly.

Of course if you are insulated or are not earthed you will basically be ok.

Im not saying give up hope on someone who has come into contact with one. Got a short circuit bar in my cab!

26. Mutant Lemming

the age restriction is a you tube thing

27. asylumxl

asylumxl Established Member

Just to be pedantic, he didn't get electrocuted. Electrocution is short for electro-execution and since he's still alive, I'd hazard a guess that he got an electric shock.

28. Mutant Lemming

I know we are in a different world from the past. There was a whole myriad of things we used to do that are total no-no s now (generally for the better). It's just that sometimes I think the modern rules are in place for the modern CYOA (Cover Your Own Arse) mentality rather than an over riding duty to passengers and colleagues. There were wooden paddles to shore up defective shoe gear AND to move people off conductor rails. The CYOA element would not have you using them for the latter these days.

29. carriageline

carriageline Established Member

I saw FFCCTV stills of a man falling in front of a train, the immediate reaction is arms out Infront, and he grabbed the juice rail. Somehow he wasn't earthed, and thus got up and survived completely unscathed

30. TOCDriver

TOCDriver Member

If the electricity couldn't find an easier way to earth itself, it's obvious that the man wasn't the easiest way to earth. Lucky for him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.