• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do drivers take toilet breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Snipers use cling film apparently! Then have to pack it in their rucksack and take it away with them....

sharpley

US and Canadian locos have toilets installed in them. Can be seen from 2:10 in the cab tour video below...

Silver Cobra

I remember, about 3 years or so ago, travelling on a GN southbound semi-fast Peterborough service (non-stop Stevenage to Finsbury Park) which had to make an unscheduled stop at Potters Bar, with the driver announcing that he needed to take a quick emergency visit to the toilet.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I've always wondered why Drivers cabs don't have a toilet or a small adjoining toilet.

Evolution

Could the driver stop the train at a station and use the W/C in the carriages?

I can imagine an upset stomach would be quite a dilemma!

Esker-pades

Established Member
Could the driver stop the train at a station and use the W/C in the carriages?

I can imagine an upset stomach would be quite a dilemma!
Yes. It has happened to me* and I think I may have mentioned it on the forum when it happened.

*As a passenger. The driver explained over the PA that the train would be delayed by 10 minutes because he needed the toilet. He then used the on-train facilities.

philthetube

Established Member
It's actually even worse for coach drivers, awkward to use a bottle with 53 passengers sat behind

EvoIV

Many of my freight jobs involve stopping in the same places time and time again waiting for a class 1 to pass so you find yourself peeing in the same bushes repeatedly like some kind of alley cat. I often have a chuckle at the poor bush, usually a buddleia, thinking what has it done to deserve living 20ft from a signal freight drivers stop at.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Snipers use cling film apparently! Then have to pack it in their rucksack and take it away with them....

Presumably they don't have a curry and a few pints the night before their sniping. Strictly tea and boiled eggs !

Ashley Hill

Established Member
K2s (WONs) made excellent toilet paper whilst out on PW jobs,especially when made of the poorer quality paper. The current ones are like Izal! Just don't let the PW lads see your head sticking out of the bushes or you'll be pelted with ballast (in a friendly way).

Eccles1983

On Moderation
I've stopped at a signal in the middle of nowhere and informed the signaller that I needed 5 mins.

Then walked though the train, used said facility and cracked on.

I'm not soiling/wetting myself for no one. And I'm not trying to aim into bottles, I'm not a savage.

DimTim

Slightly off topic
Travelled on 1819 Blackpool North to York today - Class 195. Guard stopped additional 5 mins at Hebden Bridge for toilet stop - all train toilets not working. Incoming service also showed loss of 5 mins at same location so assume similar stop made!

LCC106

Established Member
Was once asked if I could do the next leg of my job when I had the trots. Erm NO!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic
Travelled on 1819 Blackpool North to York today - Class 195. Guard stopped additional 5 mins at Hebden Bridge for toilet stop - all train toilets not working. Incoming service also showed loss of 5 mins at same location so assume similar stop made!

I hope the toilet break was announced so that passengers could also take advantage of the facilities !

6Gman

Established Member
I was concerned about those times when you feel fine then start to realise your lunch ain’t happy!

Surprised the accountants haven’t suggested commodes yet!!

A lot of modernisation scheme diesels - I believe - had toilets installed.

whoosh

Established Member
Women passenger train drivers have much better access to toilet and associated hand washing facilities than their freight train counterparts. This is particularly a big difference when it comes to changing sanitary towels or tampons at regular intervals.

There are proportionally fewer women freight drivers than passenger drivers.

Johncleesefan

I simply buzz the guard up and say I’m using the bog at the next station and not to dispatch til I give thumbs up. Pretty easy

Status
Not open for further replies.