• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Do I Buy a Advance Ticket at The Station ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Yes, most ticket offices can sell advances. Just go up and ask for it, bearing in mind you need to specify the exact train you will use. As a courtesy, if your station has only a single ticket window, consider going at a less busy time.

fhs man 2

Yes, most ticket offices can sell advances. Just go up and ask for it, bearing in mind you need to specify the exact train you will use. As a courtesy, if your station has only a single ticket window, consider going at a less busy time.

Would it be the same price as on the East Coast website ?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The price you pay at the ticket office should be the same as available online at the same time, however, some TOCs offer discounts on their own tickets online, but not at stations. Bear in mind that if you check 'the night before' you may not get the same price at the ticket office, as Advance tickets are quota controlled.

clagmonster

Established Member
Would it be the same price as on the East Coast website ?
That would depend on the price tier. The lowest priced tiers of advance tickets receive an approximately 10% discount on the East Coast website, so in the case of these tickets a booking office will charge approximately 11% more than said website, as will telesales and other websites.

Butts

Veteran Member
My advice would be to book online as you are able to peruse the choice of fares and services at your leisure and get a cheaper ticket.

However travelling from Aberdeen there are not as many direct choices as from Central Scotland which makes life a bit easier.

Are there still rail appointed travel agents - they would have more time to explore the permutations.

snail

Established Member
Are there still rail appointed travel agents - they would have more time to explore the permutations.
There is one near me but they now charge a £3 fee on every ticket (that's ticket, not booking). They claim it's an ATOC charge that they have to pass on.

fhs man 2

My advice would be to book online as you are able to peruse the choice of fares and services at your leisure and get a cheaper ticket.

However travelling from Aberdeen there are not as many direct choices as from Central Scotland which makes life a bit easier.

I can only pay in cash because of various issues.

Butts

Veteran Member

Well in that case I'd probably go to The Travel Centre at Aberdeen Station having previously checked your options online.

That way you won't feel "daggers in your back" and will have more time.

Wiggler

I take it using a pre pay card is out of the question then?? The ones that are like a gift card you top and work just like a debit card?

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Aberdeen is a big station and the Booking Office (sorry Travel Centre) there are used to all types of bookings. I have had no problems with making long distance reservations including sleeper & rail - sail to Ireland &c..

As it has been said above, however, it is a good idea to know which trains you want prior to arrival at the counter as this does speed things up. (Try to have a few back up ideas if your original choice is unavailable at the price you want)

I envisage no problems at Aberdeen.

fhs man 2

I take it using a pre pay card is out of the question then?? The ones that are like a gift card you top and work just like a debit card?

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

Where do you get them from ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Aberdeen is a big station and the Booking Office (sorry Travel Centre) there are used to all types of bookings. I have had no problems with making long distance reservations including sleeper & rail - sail to Ireland &c..

As it has been said above, however, it is a good idea to know which trains you want prior to arrival at the counter as this does speed things up. (Try to have a few back up ideas if your original choice is unavailable at the price you want)

I envisage no problems at Aberdeen.

Thanks

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Where do you get them from ?

Take a look at this page:
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaidcards/

There are now quite a number of providers offering prepaid debit cards, so its worth comparing them according to how you would use one, as the charges vary.

Without knowing your reasons, Basic Bank Accounts deserve a mention, a number now come with debit cards (Coop Bank and Barclays come to mind).

Its worth pointing out to anyone reading this that if one is an undischarged bankrupt you'd need to obtain permission for a BBA or prepaid debit card.

district

Take a look at this page:
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaidcards/

There are now quite a number of providers offering prepaid debit cards, so its worth comparing them according to how you would use one, as the charges vary.

Without knowing your reasons, Basic Bank Accounts deserve a mention, a number now come with debit cards (Coop Bank and Barclays come to mind).

Its worth pointing out to anyone reading this that if one is an undischarged bankrupt you'd need to obtain permission for a BBA or prepaid debit card.

Basic bank accounts are now readily available at lots of high street banks. You can't go overdrawn on them, and you don't have to be subjected to a credit check either, and most give a debit card like IanXC has said. All you need to do is provide adequate ID.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Basic bank accounts are now readily available at lots of high street banks. You can't go overdrawn on them, and you don't have to be subjected to a credit check either, and most give a debit card like IanXC has said. All you need to do is provide adequate ID.

Most will include a credit search (ie if you have adverse information this will be considered) although credit scoring is very rare for BBAs. So its worth discussing first if adverse information is a factor. Also the ID documents standard can be lower than for 'full bank accounts'.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I went to the station and managed to get the advance tickets for the same price as on the East Coast website do not know how I managed that.

Either the ticket is not priced by East Coast or it is not one of the lowest priced tiers of East Coast-priced Advance fares. Only the lowest few tiers are discounted, not all of them.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Although theoretically you should occupy the seat you have reserved, TMs scarcely enforce this, provided that the train is not busy.

island

Veteran Member
Officially you are supposed to sit in the assigned seats, but it is just about never enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.