• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do i identify a specific train carriage???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver01

I’m catching the 10:30 Cardiff central train to Portsmouth harbour tomorrow and have a reserved seat in carriage A, when the train arrives at the platform, how do i know which carriage is carriage A?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Position yourself on the platform where most of the people are - seasoned travellers will know where the train normally stops. This enables you to board fairly quickly without having to make a desperate run for the train. As for the coach, look at the window on the door, or the window directly adjacent to the door - this will have a card in with a big letter (this is your carriage number). As for seat numbers, look above the windows - this is where it will tell you the number of the seat and whether it is an aisle or a window seat

Caleb2010

It'll probably have a sticker on the door to the carriage with an A on it. Station staff may know as well.

Oliver01

Position yourself on the platform where most of the people are - seasoned travellers will know where the train normally stops. This enables you to board fairly quickly without having to make a desperate run for the train. As for the coach, look at the window on the door, or the window directly adjacent to the door - this will have a card in with a big letter (this is your carriage number). As for seat numbers, look above the windows - this is where it will tell you the number of the seat and whether it is an aisle or a window seat

Thanks! Generally speaking is carriage A towards the front or the back of the train?

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks! Generally speaking is carriage A towards the front or the back of the train?

It varies wildly. First class and standard class can normally be guessed as to which end they'll be at, but trains turn around all the time, so coach A could be anywhere.

Oliver01

It varies wildly. First class and standard class can normally be guessed as to which end they'll be at, but trains turn around all the time, so coach A could be anywhere.

Ok thanks, hopefully i have a stress free journey tomorrow

_toommm_

Established Member
Ok thanks, hopefully i have a stress free journey tomorrow

Definitely! Sit back, relax and enjoy the views. Cardiff Central is a nice station - just make sure you arrive in enough time to buy/collect your tickets, and to find your platform.

DanTrain

Also, remember that a train won’t leave without you in a station like Cardiff if you’re finding the right carriage. Dispatchers ensure that people are on before signalling to close the doors, and if in doubt, just get on and ask the guard :)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Because of the various reversals GWR services have, at places such as Bristol and Gloucester, there is no guarantee whether it'll be at the front or the back of the train.

The 1030 Cardiff to Portsmouth for the last few times I've caught it has actually been a 150+158 combo, with the former usually in front (which is then detached at Temple Meads and the 158 continues alone down to Portsmouth). Usually, the leading carriage stops just in front of the gent's toilets on platform 2 when the train is called forward for boarding.

If you get onto the platform by about 10.10ish, you may see the train at the bottom end of platform 2 being prepared for service. Have a walk down to the end of the platform and see what carriage is leading. I sometimes peep through the window and work out where my seat is!

Also, especially over the summer holidays, that train is surprisingly a busy one. It's not full and standing throughout, but it's well loaded as it's one of the first off peak services from Cardiff.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m catching the 10:30 Cardiff central train to Portsmouth harbour tomorrow and have a reserved seat in carriage A, when the train arrives at the platform, how do i know which carriage is carriage A?
There is no guarantee there will be reservations on this service.

I was on a GWR train on this route on Saturday which had no reservations, which means you simply sit anywhere. If no seats are available at the origin, you should be able to get seats at an intermediate station as these trains have a high turnover of passengers at places like Bristol, Bath etc.

Vinnym

Travelled Birmingham New Street to Reading last Saturday morning. We were connecting off the service from Liverpool Lime Street which arrived a little late which made connection a bit tight. The Reading train was waiting when we got to 10A. The First carriage was coach F and was indicated on the digital screen on the outside of the train. The remaining carriages had no display whatsoever. On boarding, the carriage indicators onboard were not working nor were the digital displays above the seats that tell you if they are reserved. The carriage displays came on just after we left Birmingham. On return from Reading yesterday once again only Coach F was displayed on the outside although signs on board were working.
Pretty poor show really, is this the norm with XC services?

JamesT

Established Member
Do other classes of trains have an identifying mark at the end like the Voyagers? Seeing the front of the train coming in and knowing it's coach A due to the yellow coupler or coach F if not yellow is quite handy for positioning.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do other classes of trains have an identifying mark at the end like the Voyagers? Seeing the front of the train coming in and knowing it's coach A due to the yellow coupler or coach F if not yellow is quite handy for positioning.

The only other stock that I think has that is TPE class 185/350?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Also, remember that a train won’t leave without you in a station like Cardiff if you’re finding the right carriage. Dispatchers ensure that people are on before signalling to close the doors, and if in doubt, just get on and ask the guard :)

Really? I've had the doors closed on me when trying to board a Derby train at Crewe (which caused much discussion on an earlier thread a couple of years ago).

ajs

When the Pompey - Cardiff trains are a 3 coach train, the order is A B C or C B A. The only thing that is certain is that the centre coach is B. Seat reservations are always in A & B but never coach C

If the train is terminated short of its destination at say Fareham or Fratton then I don't think the reservation cards are put in place for its next journey.

There are times, when it is a 2 Car 158, and that is coaches A & B and reservations are put in both coaches.

If its a 150 there are no seat reservations.

dk1

Veteran Member
Some Cardiff/Portsmouth services where showing as no reservations or catering last week. I take it both can be due to formed of alternative stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.