• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do LUL employees get to work for 4:30/5am?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAWRferal

Hi all, nice forums you have here!

Just out of pure curiosity, how exactly do tube/rail employees get to and from work at such early/late times when presumably there are no trains running.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
Aren't most tube stations served by at least one night bus an hour. The BBC programme The Tube last week suggested that even when stations are closed, there are staff present 24 hours.

causton

Established Member
Aren't most tube stations served by at least one night bus an hour. The BBC programme The Tube last week suggested that even when stations are closed, there are staff present 24 hours.

I believe there are at most stations, at least the central ones.

Also staff trains/taxis/buses? I know some drivers used to get these but don't know if station staff have them as well, or if drivers have them anymore!

RPM

Established Member
LUL make extensive use of taxis in this situation, for drivers anyway. In terms of TOCs, there is some use of Taxis at London depots. Otherwise, at "country" depots you are expected to drive or walk to work.

Class377/5

Established Member
Where I live we get a bus every 5mins including Sunday morning. Don't forget Tube workers get free travel on all buses, Tube, Tram, DLR and Overground as well as limited NR journeies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I get the night bus if I'm on earlies, it runs half hourly through the night so the 0320 is the earliest I get on a regular basis.

Daniel

Established Member
Night buses mainly. There is a staff taxi network but it's not quite what everyone thinks There are duty taxi's for train drivers but that's not to/from work that's to/from booking on location to/from their train.

There is a timetable of taxis for everyone else. A taxi runs from A at xx:xx to C at xx:xx calling at B and P. If it doesn't go where you want it to or it gets you there two hours early, well tough because that's when it runs. Taxi routes tend to run along a line but tend not to mirror night buses.

As an example from being station staff I had to get 4 taxis to get home:

1). Belsize Park to King's Cross St. Pancras
2). King's Cross St. Pancras to Tuffnel Park
3). Tuffnel Park to East Finchley
4). East Finchley to Enfield Lock

I finished at 0105 and got home at 0230 if the taxi's were all on time.

Tubeboy

As a member of station staff, I can state that LU run staff taxis for all it's staff when the system is shut between 0100-0500. Night shift staff start/finish when services are running. I cycle most days to work. I don't do extreme earlies or lates so never need a taxi.

Afro Jay

I work for London Overground and we get taxis on early shifts (5.15am) and if we finish later than 11pm. This is aslong as you don't have a single bus route home.

Statto

Established Member

Yep, plus some special night buses routes covering the Northern Line[N5/N20/N155]also the Northern section of the Piccadilly Line, although there are some Stations/Depots not covered by any night bus & the first day buses can be 5-5:30am.

RAWRferal

Thanks for the replies!

The reason why I asked is because I'm currently in the interview process for the current recruitment of new Customer Service Assistants. I had my telephone interview today, I feel like it went well but I realise there have been a hell of a lot of applicants so I'm keeping everything crossed :P

Daniel

Established Member
As a member of station staff, I can state that LU run staff taxis for all it's staff when the system is shut between 0100-0500. Night shift staff start/finish when services are running. I cycle most days to work. I don't do extreme earlies or lates so never need a taxi.

Not neccisarily for all staff, certain occupations aren't entitled to it, and some taxis do run before 0100/after 0500.

You don't do extremes? Wherever you're working, wanna swap?? :D

lozza27

Hi all,

I live in the Bexleyheath area and have been accepted to start as a CSA. Yayyyy

Problem is, I have no idea where as yet and therefore have no idea how to gbet there if I am on an extreme early or late.

I have heard that for these shifts there is a circular network of taxi's available to help ease the pain of an all night travel to get to work for an early but I wondered if this is actually available in my area of ANYWHERE close by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I start my induction and need to give my current job my notice if necessary.

Thank you all in advance

34D

Established Member
Night bus? Seriously, given the career prospects one option is simply to pay for your own taxi.

I'm sure there will be something more organised though.

calc7

Established Member
I just did a quick TfL journey planner for Bexleyheath to Trafalgar Square in the early hours. It takes over an hour - not exactly fun but also not exactly the end of the world given your return home will be when trains are running. And it takes me 40mins to get from my home in Z2 to work in Z1 every morning!

Established Member
Normally during the application process (forms or interview), they will ask if you either have your own transport or could get to a depot via a mode other than rail - so it isn't going to look good if you get the job but can't get into work on time, even though you've said you could.

Met Driver

Established Member
I have heard that for these shifts there is a circular network of taxi's available to help ease the pain of an all night travel to get to work for an early but I wondered if this is actually available in my area of ANYWHERE close by.

I don't have the latest version of the taxi book, but in a fairly recent copy I have, there are no less than 3 evening and 3 morning "orbital" taxis serving Bexleyheath; I would be very surprised if none of those are still available.

causton

Established Member
I don't have the latest version of the taxi book, but in a fairly recent copy I have, there are no less than 3 evening and 3 morning "orbital" taxis serving Bexleyheath; I would be very surprised if none of those are still available.

Do they go into Hertfordshire - how far? May be an issue for me if I get shifts starting in the 3 hours out of 24 I don't have train service to my station on the ECML :P

Dstock7080

Established Member
Watford, Watford Junction, New Barnet, Enfield Lock, Waltham Cross, Goffs Oak, Cuffley, Potters Bar, Elstree, Borehamwood, Enfield.

Daniel

Established Member
From Bexleyheath you have:

Morning:

E099 - departing at 0313 to Welling, Falconwood, Eltham, Mottingham, York****e Gry (Eltham), and New Cross.

E091 - departing at 0336 to Welling, Falconwood, New Eltham, Eltham, Mottingham, Yorkshire Grey (Eltham), Kidbrooke, North Greenwich, New Cross, Brixton, London Bridge, and Southwark.

D084 - departing at 0330 to Albany Park, Sidcup, New Eltham, Eltham, York****e Grey (Eltham), Kidbrooke, Lee Green, Lee, Grove Park,Beckenham Junction, Bellingham, Rushey Green, Honor Oak Park, Crofton Park, Hither Green, New Cross, Brockley Road, Canada Water, Elephant & Castle, Lambeth North, Waterloo, (continues to Harrow & Wealdstone).

D981 - departing 0418 to Welling, Falconwood, Eltham, Yorkshire Grey (Eltham) Kidbrooke, North Greenwich, New Cross, London Bridge, and Southwark.

H095 - departing at 0351 to Abbey Wood, Plumstead, Woolwich Arsenal, Greenwich WB, Deptford DLR, Lewisham, New Cross, Camberwell Green, Brixton, Stockwell, Clapham North, Clapham Common, Wandsworth, East Putney, Acton Town, and Bollo Lane.

G098 - departing at 0426 to Abbey Wood, Plumstead, Woolwich Arsenal, Greenwich WB, Deptford DLR, Lewisham, New Cross, Camberwell Green, Brixton, Stockwell, Clapham North, Clapham Common, Wandsworth, East Putney, Acton Town, and Bollo Lane.

G033 - departing at 0547 to Welling, Falconwood, Eltham, Kidbrook, Lewisham, New Cross, Brixton, London Bridge, Southwark, Waterloo, St. James' Park, Victoria, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge, Gloucester Road, Earl's Court, Shepherd's Bush (Central), and White City.

lozza27

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. much appreciated.

I don't mind getting night buses or travelling through the night in my car, I just heard there were taxi's and thought I would inquire so I knew all of my options, so just incase something happened with one of my options, I know there are others.

The training is great fun, I just cant wait to get started now.

Such a good job to have.

PinzaC55

I used to live in Pimlico and work at Paddington. The timings of the buses were such that a missed connection at Piccadilly Circus would have made me late so I often walked through Hyde Park to get there at 05.00. Kept me fit as a fiddle.

Daniel

Established Member
The training is great fun, I just cant wait to get started now.

You've already started training?

Log onto a terminal at Ashfield House (there are some generic ones on the 1st floor, turn right out of the lifts).

On the intranet search 'STFH' and it'll bring up the staff taxi timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.