How do members of The Cabinet travel on the train?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by thenorthern, 3 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

Given that its close to an election there are many interviews and images of politicians travelling on trains while they go to their engagements and it made me wonder what is the procedure for when the Prime Minister or other senior government official uses the train.

All the images of David Cameron I have seen show him travelling in First Class which despite people who would argue its unfair for the public to have to pay for First Class travel I personally don't see an issue with it as he is the Prime Minister and there does need to be security in place.

Do the rail companies empty out the reservations for the coach carrying the PM and is the train then filled with armed police where ordinary passengers are not allowed in that coach?

I know the Royal Family of course use the Royal Train but I think its great that the Prime Minister can travel on regular trains unlike other countries such as the United States where security is much tighter for presidential transport.

2. Agent_c

Agent_c Member

3. table38

table38 Established Member

Whereas Miliband prefers to remove the antimacassars to pretend he isn't in First Class :)

[​IMG]

4. scott118

scott118 Member

Boris once jumped on a train i was working at Stoke Newington, with 3 bodyguards. Stood in the vestible, and then they all jumped off at London Fields. As for tickets, who knows, as neither station was barriered at the time.. :lol:

5. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

I think the Royal Family have used normal service trains now and again, seem to recall the Queen travelling on a 365 not so long ago.

6. Trainfan344

Trainfan344 Established Member

Yes, when she visits Sandringham I believe her majesty uses a 365 with a carriage closed off by police.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I don't think they have armed police!

7. Morgsie

Morgsie Member

I bet there is behind the scenes communication between the private offices and a TOC about travel arrangements.

The seats in the media clips shows what class they are in. Wasn't there an issue a while ago about what class senior politicians sit in.

8. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

Thought she might have took the Royal corgies with her as guard dogs;)

9. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Usually they close off a first class compartment for her rather than the whole carriage I believe. It's usually close protection types rather than uniformed police as that's a bit more low key.

10. kevconnor

kevconnor Member

It is entirely possible if the MP/PM have arranged for media interviews on the train they may be upgraded at the cost of the TOC.

An election piece for the BBC North West News last week made the point of saying they paid to travel the WCML in standard class but were upgraded to first class at the insistence of the TOC.

It is probably more to do with image, I cant imagine Northern would want a media interview to take place on one of Newton Heath's finest.

11. DelayRepay

DelayRepay Member

I hope they use split ticketing and book well in advance, to get the best fares.

In fact given they always travel in groups, I hope they have Two Together railcards.

12. Dave1954

Dave1954 Member

I saw on the news last week that David Cameron travelled down to Penzance on the Night Sleeper :)

13. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

Cabinet ministers (on duty) normally travel First Class with one or two protection officers where appropriate. Basically, their privacy is little more or less protected than in other public settings. So, if you are walking past and say "Hello, Mr -----" you will probably get a hello in return. If you exchange a few (civil) words ditto.

If you try to start an argument said protection officer will probably encourage you to move along.

Oh, and fares are paid! (But sometimes by travel warrant so it may not always be obvious)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I love the idea of an interview on a Pacer, preferably on sharp curves or when braking to a halt.

"Minister, will you SQUEAL SQUEAL BANG SQUEAL"
    "Pardon?"
    "Pardon minister, what did you say?"
    "I said BANG SQUEAL RATTLE SQUEAL"
    "What?"
    "Pardon?"

:D

14. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

Does her majesty use public passengers services more than the royal train?

15. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

He was lucky he did it on the Wednesday night rather than Tuesday night (when the sleeper started from Bristol)

16. DelayRepay

DelayRepay Member

She does now she qualifies for a Senior Railcard. However she normally gets the Duke of Edinburgh to complete the Delay Repay claim forms for her.

17. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

To be fair, she tends to use the most economical, practical option.

Her eldest son, on the other hand, seems reluctant to use regular services.

18. scott118

scott118 Member

Is the royal train still in service?

19. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

:D David Cameron on a GA class 153 was good for a laugh once !! He didn't look too thrilled.

20. asylumxl

asylumxl Established Member

I say throw them all in standard class with the great unwashed.

21. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Member

Maybe we should change the title of the thread to;
    How do members of the cabinet travel on the gravy train?
    It would get a whole lot more interesting!

22. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

I have not seen it in service for a while but the 67s are still in Diamond Jubilee livery. They were working the Fife circle services up until recently.

23. ert47

ert47 Member

I've seen an Labour MP (can't remember her name, ex-transport? Something to do with money?) on an East Coast service in standard a few years back.

24. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

I presume Charles is on the list of royals with access to the Royal train.

25. Darren R

Darren R Established Member

Speaking as a member of The Great Unwashed I really must protest. Why the Hell should I have to put with the likes of politicians sitting next to me? That's why the Good Lord invented First Class, so that normal, decent human beings do not have to endure being subjected to oiks like politicians and journalists. :p

26. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

Except on FGW this week where presumably he joined the many in thinking that it already was FC because the antimacassars already say FIRST on them :lol:...

Good on him, No doubt travelling with the reliable old horse 604 up front too!

27. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've always thought it is reasonable for members of the Cabinet travelling on Government business to travel first class. Otherwise MPs travelling to/from their constituency should only be able to claim standard class travel (though they are, of course, welcome to pay the difference between Standard and First out of their own pocket). If on party business then I'd say it's up to the party in question.

28. DelayRepay

DelayRepay Member

I would put them on the Megabus! :lol:

29. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

I think there must be quite a bit of advance planning as during the last election i recall the BTP going round us all at Preston Station with the sniffer dogs half an hour before Gordon Brown and his entourage boarded a train

30. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I know of one senior cabinet minister who travels to and from work most days on class 455 units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.