How do most people who work on the Tube get to work?

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by martin2345uk, 16 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Established Member

I mean mainly station staff, station assistants and the like... particularly those based at city centre stations - I know the roles pay pretty well, but not well enough to live that close I'd guess, and parking must surely prevent most people from driving - do they use the underground? What if they work till after the last service? Most of them use night buses?

Wondered for a while now :) hope it doesn't seem to dumb a question...

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. shabs86

shabs86 New Member

I've just started as a CSA for TFL and we have a cab service for first and last shifts :)

4. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Established Member

Wow that's pretty good of them! :)

5. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

There is a staff taxi network. It isn't door-to-door, it's schedule based, calls at set points along the route (similar to a bus), is shared and has to be pre-booked. When I worked at Hampstead for example, living in Enfield, I used to have to book 4 taxi's to get home, changing en route, as that's just the way the schedules worked. The schedules rarely have paths along night bus routes, so they're also utilised. The routes mainly follow the LU lines with the exception of some 'orbital' routes.

Lots of staff, (station supervisors, service control staff, etc), work overnight, with finishing times of 6/7am. With taxis only for for the close and start of traffic, staff use the train, buses or cars.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.