• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do request stops work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

Established Member
Avoncliff isn't a request stop anymore (at least it wasn't last year when i boarded a train there) and i don't think Freshford is either?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Stations which allow stops after daylight hours usually have big lights shining onto the platform. If the driver cannot see you standing on a lit platform then I'd have a little concern in the back of my mind.
I don't think Clunderwen and Clarbeston Road have much in the way of lighting. A torch almost certainly recomended if boarding at those after dark I'd guess.

I must admit Greenback it will be strange in a few years to see the 07:28 Carmarthen - London Paddington service calling at Gowerton since it provides a peak time service into Swansea
In a way, it is a shame, since I thought it'd be nice to have the INTERCITY trains to London as the only services between Llanelli and Swansea not to call at Gowerton.

Liam

Established Member
Locheilside, Beasdale and Lochailort on the Mallaig extension. There used to be more on the Crianlarich-Fort William section, but they are all normal stops now, except Roy Bridge and Corrour on the sleeper only.

Welshman

Established Member
I remember a few years back, travelling on Central Trains [yes- that far back!] between Nottingham and Heckington and asking the conductor "Could you stop at Heckington for me, please" and her replying quite civilly in the affirmative.

Then some youth within earshot opposite thought he'd have a laugh and said "And can you stop at Sleaford for me, please?" and was quite startled by her shirty reply!

He hadn't realised that then, Heckington was a request stop! :)

exile

Established Member
There are few greater pleasures than sticking your hand out and stopping a loco hauled train as I once did at Duirinish!

GlosRail

On the few times I've used a request stop at Kings Nympton in Devon I've found that the driver toots at you to confirm he's spotted you on the platform.

The trains slow down to about 20mph before hand.

Welshman

Established Member
There are few greater pleasures than sticking your hand out and stopping a loco hauled train as I once did at Duirinish!

I agree - and regretted when Heckington became a mandatory rather than conditional halt.
After a hard day's work, when nothing had gone right, at least you could say, "Well, I legitimately stopped a train!" - even if it was only a 158 or a 156!

Michael.Y

Established Member
The Cambrian Coast anno is good, but I'd love one day to hear the one at Cardiff for the morning service to Salop via HOWL and Swansea. 1 because it must be the longest list on the network, and 2 because it will be in Welsh and English so will last about five minutes!

The next train to depart from platform 4 will be the 0809 Arriva Trains Wales service to Shrewsbury. Calling at:
  • Bridgend
  • Pyle
  • Port Talbot Parkway
  • Baglan
  • Briton Ferry
  • Neath
  • Skewen
  • Llansamlet
  • Swansea
  • Llanelli
  • Bynea (x)
  • Llangennech (x)
  • Pontarddulais (x)
  • Pantyffynnon
  • Ammanford
  • Llandybie
  • Ffairfach (x)
  • Llandeilo
  • Llangadog
  • Llanwrda
  • Llandovery
  • Cynghordy (x)
  • Sugarloaf Halt (x)
  • Llanwrtyd Wells
  • Llangammarch (x)
  • Garth (x)
  • Cilmeri (x)
  • Builth Road (x)
  • Llandrindod Wells
  • Pen-y-bont (x)
  • Dolau
  • Llanbister Road (x)
  • Llangynllo (x)
  • Knucklas (x)
  • Knighton
  • Bucknell
  • Hopton Heath (x)
  • Broome (x)
  • Craven Arms
  • Church Stretton and
  • Shrewsbury
Platform 4 for the 0809 ATW service to Shrewsbury. Llangennech, Pontarddulais, Ffairfach, Cynghordy, Sugarloaf, Llangammarch, Garth, Cilmeri, Builth Road, Pen-y-bont, Llanbister Road, Llangynllo, Knucklas, Hopton Heath and Broome are request stops. Please ensure the conductor knows where you wish to alight.

DJ737

G'day
Narberth, Kilgetty, Saundersfoot, Penally and Lamphey are request stops.
You can even put out your hand to stop an HST at these stations on summer saturdays.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

• Bucknell
  • Hopton Heath (x)
  • Broome (x)

Just to point out why Bucknell isn't a request stop on the way to Shrewsbury - the train has to stop at the station as just after is a level crossing. On the way to Swansea the train stops the other side of the level crossing and the station is then a request stop. (And there's no excuse then of not being able to stop it!)

station300.jpg

Bucknell is one of my favourite stations in Shropshire - very pleasant. :)

Michael.Y

Established Member
Just to point out why Bucknell isn't a request stop on the way to Shrewsbury - the train has to stop at the station as just after is a level crossing. On the way to Swansea the train stops the other side of the level crossing and the station is then a request stop. (And there's no excuse then of not being able to stop it!)

station300.jpg

Bucknell is one of my favourite stations in Shropshire - very pleasant. :)

It's the same on the other way for Ffairfach, and Dolau of course.

gottago

Most of the stops on the Borderlands Line were also previously request stops, however now only Hawarden Bridge is a request stop.

Although Upton and perhaps a few other still has a sign up by the ramp to the platform advising you that it's a request stop. Thankfully other people have been on the platform in the past and I haven't had to embarrass myself by waving my arms without realising that I no longer have to!

Batman

Yes used one on Monday [Attadale]. In days gone by some request stops had passenger operated semaphore signals to stop the trains as required.

How did they work?

Perhaps the most famous request stop has to be Barney Arms in Norfolk?

And are Reddish South and Denton still request stops?

johnnychips

Established Member
Perhaps the most famous request stop has to be Barney Arms in Norfolk?

Berney Arms. It might be a in a bit of a backwater, but there aren't any dinosaurs or Flintstones.

Table 78 page 14 of the National Rail timetable online shows Reddish South and Denton to be request stops.

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
Dilton Marsh, Avoncliff and Freshford stations in Wiltshire/Somerset are request stops.

Only Dilton Marsh out of those 3 is a request stop now! Avoncliff was converted to a normal stop following increase in passengers a few years ago, and I cant even remember Freshford being a request stop!

The_Rail_WAy

I know there are some request stops on the Cumbrian coast and Windermere branch - the train is not usually travelling at hogh speed so simply hallowing the approaching train like you would a bus is usually sufficient enough to warrant a request stop'.

Hope this helps.

JoeGJ1984

Do the FGW summer services to Pembroke Dock treat, eg Saundersfoot as a request stop? (I mention it because that may be one place where you can stick your hand out to stop a loco hauled train - if you consider an HST to be a loco-hauled train).

Liam

Established Member
Do the FGW summer services to Pembroke Dock treat, eg Saundersfoot as a request stop? (I mention it because that may be one place where you can stick your hand out to stop a loco hauled train - if you consider an HST to be a loco-hauled train).

Corrour and Tulloch on the WHL are request stops for the sleeper, which is 67 hauled.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It varies by train and station on the Pembroke line. I have seen an HST stopped by request at Penally (was staying just across the road); equally most are timetabled to call at Saundersfoot.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I think Saundersfoot is a mandatory stop for the IC125 services, but one of the two trains does observe some other stops on the line by request I think.

Established Member
Couple of new ones are in Lancashire, including Burnley Barracks, Hapton, Huncoat and Pleasington.

Most services that go through request stops will either sound the horn (in case someone is waiting in a shelter) or go through slowly, so even if someone does make the 'emergency stop' signal, the train should be going slow enough anyway to not cause a problem.

WCML

Entwistle between Bolton and Blackburn is a request stop. The 150s pick up a decent speed in some parts on that line too.

D2022

Only Dilton Marsh out of those 3 is a request stop now! Avoncliff was converted to a normal stop following increase in passengers a few years ago, and I cant even remember Freshford being a request stop!

. Its a bit complex, I travel twice a week on that line and Dilton Marsh is a request yes, but so are the other two on certain trains. Yet other trains stop, the other skip both stations. Its a bit hit and miss to be honest.

pemma

Veteran Member
Couple of new ones are in Lancashire, including Burnley Barracks, Hapton, Huncoat and Pleasington.

Interesting that Northern added new ones in Lancashire, when in Cheshire they removed some request stop status' with the citied reason in the case of Ashley was that it isn't easy for the driver to see a passenger waiting to board between sunset and sunrise times.

pitdiver

Berney Arms. It might be a in a bit of a backwater, but there aren't any dinosaurs or Flintstones.

Table 78 page 14 of the National Rail timetable online shows Reddish South and Denton to be request stops.

There might not be any dinosaurs at Berney Arms but there certainly are some strange people who use that station. Most of them use it for the very reason that they can turn round and say " I have used Berney Arms station" ;)

louis97

Established Member
. Its a bit complex, I travel twice a week on that line and Dilton Marsh is a request yes, but so are the other two on certain trains. Yet other trains stop, the other skip both stations. Its a bit hit and miss to be honest.

I'd suggest you get in touch with FGW then, because both Avoncliff and Freshford are both booked stops for ALL services, ALL services booked to call there should stop - passengers or no passengers.

There is no such thing as a request stop on certain trains, its either a request stop for all or none.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There is no such thing as a request stop on certain trains, its either a request stop for all or none.
I don't think that is the case. As I said, I believe the First Great Western services to Pembroke Dock have a mandatory stop at Saundersfoot while ATW services only call on request I think. Also, there are some trains that terminate at Clarbeston Road (normally a request stop) and if 'request' applied to every train through a station why is request stop status marked on timetables with an x against the time a particular train is scheduled rather than the station name in the left-hand-coloumn of the timetable being suffixed with request?

Generally, a station is either a request stop or it isn't, but I think there are oddities served by a mix of stops by request and stops by trains that must stop even if there are no passengers on the train or the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.