• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do request stops work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes it is just signal to the driver (Like a bus stop) If at night use a light (Torch,Mobile etc)

Ascot

Established Member
With a hand gesture don't stick your fingers up at the driver otherwise they may go straight past.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If dark, might be worth having a torch (white light) or similar light emitting device to shine down toward the track (not toward the train) and just circle it about, whatever you do, do not raise both arms above the head!

TP

Established Member
If dark, might be worth having a torch (white light) or similar light emitting device to shine down toward the track (not toward the train) and just circle it about, whatever you do, do not raise both arms above the head!

TP

Just wondering why not above the head ?

9K43

In an emergency any light waved violently is an is an emergency stop signal.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Just wondering why not above the head ?

Two arms displayed clearly above the head indicates an emergency stop is required as does any light waved violently, including green :smile:

TP

Ascot

Established Member
Stations which allow stops after daylight hours usually have big lights shining onto the platform. If the driver cannot see you standing on a lit platform then I'd have a little concern in the back of my mind.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Are there many on the National Network?

The only request stop I can think of immediately is Newtondale on the NYMR.
Obviously not on the Network.

Most stations on the Tarka Line are requests, various Cornish branch lines also have them, as does the Weymouth line, among others.

anthony263

Established Member
Are there many on the National Network?

The only request stop I can think of immediately is Newtondale on the NYMR.
Obviously not on the Network.

There are a few in West Wales and on the Heart of wales line.

I know Piling is served by one train in each direction on a saturday but does it stop on request only?

Anyway Gowerton is also a request stop at the moment although once the redoubling is completed I suspect that the majority of trains will stop there

emoaconr

On the North Wales Coast Line, there's quite a few Conwy, Penmaenmawr, Llanfairfechan, Llanfairpwll, Bodorgan, Tŷ Croes, Rhosneigr and Valley.

Most of the stops on the Borderlands Line were also previously request stops, however now only Hawarden Bridge is a request stop.

Most of the stops on the Heart of Wales line are also request-only, as are the Dyfi Junction - Pwllheli stations.

Gathursty

Established Member
Nethertown and Braystones on the Cumbrian Coast Line are request stops that I hope to tick off this week! :)

Request stops in Shropshire:

Prees
Yorton
Broome
Hopton Heath
Bucknell

(Plus a few on the county's heritage lines!)

Tons on the Heart of Wales Line and on the Cambrian Coast.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Anyway Gowerton is also a request stop at the moment although once the redoubling is completed I suspect that the majority of trains will stop there

There is no way that the peak morning and afternoon trains should be request stops at Gowerton. In over five eyars of commuting from Llanelli I have never known the 0835 ish train not stop there!

It's the same with the 1705/1735 and 1809 out of Swansea. The guards usually announce that the train will be calling at all request stops to Carmarthen, as they know that there will be someone for every stop on those trains!

anthony263

Established Member
There is no way that the peak morning and afternoon trains should be request stops at Gowerton. In over five eyars of commuting from Llanelli I have never known the 0835 ish train not stop there!

It's the same with the 1705/1735 and 1809 out of Swansea. The guards usually announce that the train will be calling at all request stops to Carmarthen, as they know that there will be someone for every stop on those trains!

I must admit Greenback it will be strange in a few years to see the 07:28 Carmarthen - London Paddington service calling at Gowerton since it provides a peak time service into Swansea

Pumbaa

Established Member
Aren't there a few on the Kyle and Far North Lines as well?

Kyle request ones;

Lochluichart
Achanalt
Achnashellach
Attadale
Duncraig
Durinish

Far North requests;

Alness (sometimes)
Fearn (sometimes)
Invershin
Rogart (sometimes)
Dunrobin Castle
Kildonan
Kinbrace
Altnabreac
Scotscalder

Alness and Fearn both have 1 service that calls on request, all others make scheduled stops. Rogart has 1 scheduled, rest are request.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I must admit Greenback it will be strange in a few years to see the 07:28 Carmarthen - London Paddington service calling at Gowerton since it provides a peak time service into Swansea

I think it will be great to see a HST stopping at the restored platform! Wgat a contrast to when the track was removed in 1986!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
When boarding at a request stop, I always get an irrational fear that the train will not stop!

When on holidya in North Wales we stayed at a village served by a request stop. I was always a bit panicky when coming back from the pub (two stops) that I wouldn't find the guard in time to ask for the train to call!

Status
Not open for further replies.