How do ticket purchases from station ticket machines show on bank statements?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by WillTruss, 10 Oct 2019.

1. WillTruss

WillTruss New Member

Hi all,

As per title: if I buy a ticket from a station ticket machine, do these appear on the bank statement under the name of the TOC (e.g. XC Trains, West Coast Trains Limited) or as the station, or is there a code attached to the transaction name?

I'm trying to look for proof of purchase from a while back for a delay repay claim that's taken ages to come through, but can't find anything on my statement!

Will

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

They tend to vary, unfortunately. Best bet is to post which station/TVM and when, and hopefully someone else has made a purchase and can confirm.

4. alistairlees

alistairlees Established Member

It will be the name of the TOC, as that is the retailer. Unless there is a different Merchant ID for each TVM location (rather unlikely) then this will be the same name, irrespective of station (for TVM run by the same TOC).

5. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Believe it or not there often is. The TVMs at Bletchley in LM days used to be something like "LM TVM BLETCHLEY" or somesuch.

6. WillTruss

WillTruss New Member

Bummer - thought that'd be the case. It was from Manchester Piccadilly and in August this year.

See when I search for the TOC I just find purchases for stuff like drinks on-board. Can't seem to find a reference that matches the ticket price. It's possible I'm just being a complete klutz but it would help to be able to narrow it down - I have way too many transactions thanks to work travel!!

I have spotted transactions at stations named after the station when I've paid for stuff at the shops there. Not seen it on my statement for the ticket itself annoyingly!

7. sheff1

sheff1 Established Member

The last purchase I made at a Piccadilly TVM appeared on my statement as WEST COAST TRAINS.

8. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

can't your search on the amount. My bank (Lloyds) allows that.
    bear in mind the date of the transaction on your bank statement may be up to a week after when you bought the ticket.

(When you buy something with a card, the retailers equipment contacts the bank and gets authorisation for a reference. later, they will do a claim, when they send the reference and amount and get the money paid. You can claim less than the authorised amount, and make several claims against the authorisation. The authorisation will elapse after about 1 - 2 weeks)

9. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

I was still seeing “SWTrainsSwanwick” in July, since then it’s now SWRSwanwickSST. If your local ToC has changed recently, then maybe check for the old name as well...

10. maniacmartin

maniacmartin Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

A lot of Southern stations just show as the name of the station only, no TOC name whatsoever - e.g. "MERSTHAM"

11. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

We have a different NLC and merchant number for each TVM location

12. exesoundtech

exesoundtech Member

Virgin or Northern?

13. exesoundtech

exesoundtech Member

Very true. Something to do with assisting fraud tracking at the card issuers I believe, as they know where the Merchant Accounts physically are. So they can do clever things like: "Mr Exesoundtech used his card in Penzance at 10:55, and has now tried to use it in Edinburgh at 11:02. That can't be right - let's block that transaction and find out more."

14. daveshah

daveshah Member

I notice in the transaction details on Revolut, SWR ticket purchases even have the correct first part of the postcode for the TVM used. Presumably this is for the same reason.

15. londonbridge

londonbridge Member

Purchases from Southern TVMs show up on my statement as "New Southern Railway". When I purchase online from the Southern Website it's "Southern Railway W"

A card purchase from the ticket office window at Hartlepool appeared as "Hartlepool STN TO"

A purchase from a Tyne & Wear metro machine at Newcastle central showed up as "Nexus Travel Shop".

Sounds right. Last year my card was somehow compromised, an attempted purchase of £200 at a Glasgow branch of Tesco at 9am on a Saturday morning was flagged up by the fact that I'd withdrawn some money from a cashpoint in London just over an hour earlier.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2019
  16. plugwash

plugwash Member

IIRC when the "fastticket" machines were first introduced (not sure if there were any card-accepting TVMs before these) they were magstripe-only with no cardholder verification at all. So presumably having other means of tracking fraud was considered even more important then.

17. island

island Established Member

As you have seen, it varies widely. It may have the train company’s legal name or its trading name, it may have the station name or part thereof, or something else again.

My annual season ticket purchased at Marylebone last year came up as QBUSTER MARYLE...