• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do you feel about rail staff travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

On Moderation
I'm wondering what people think about the current staff travel privileges available for railway staff?

Many think we should have free travel on everything, no time limits or restrictions, no boxes or anything. It could also be argued that it is unfair for ex-BR and retired staff to have unlimited free travel boxes, but the luxury not extended to post-BR staff.
On the other hand you wouldn't expect a person who works at M&S to get free shopping or even discounts at Sainsburys or Aldi... The railway they say is one big family and so free travel privileges need to reflect this across all TOCs and regions (tough luck to jobsworth guards who refuse free travel for workers of different TOCs), but on the flip side it is in debt and needs all the revenue it can obtain to make up the deficit.

Is the current situation about right; should it be made more lenient; or is it already too generous and in need of overhaul not in the railway employee's favour?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I don't get any travel concessions but I see no problem with the current arrangements.

Journeyman

Established Member
I personally don't think it's particularly relevant any more.

The only reason BR was generous in giving staff travel perks in the past was because they couldn't afford to pay decent wages, and the railway paid quite a lot less than a lot of other industries. Over the years, that position has shifted completely, and TOCs don't need to be particularly generous in that area to attract new recruits - we all know that railway job vacancies are massively over-subscribed, because now pay and conditions on the railway are much better than many other industries.

I had full nationwide travel perks for two years when I worked for BR/SWT from 1994 to 96, but lost them as I decided to go to uni. I then had TfL perks when I worked on the Underground from 1999 to 2007. Since then, I've had a number of jobs in the rail industry, but none have come with any travel perks, because they've been freelance, consultancy or roles with suppliers and NR. If I had travel perks, I'd use them a lot, and I could choose to get aggrieved about the issue if I wanted to, but to be honest, life is too short and I can't really be bothered.

Iskra

Established Member
I personally don't think it's particularly relevant any more.

The only reason BR was generous in giving staff travel perks in the past was because they couldn't afford to pay decent wages, and the railway paid quite a lot less than a lot of other industries. Over the years, that position has shifted completely, and TOCs don't need to be particularly generous in that area to attract new recruits - we all know that railway job vacancies are massively over-subscribed, because now pay and conditions on the railway are much better than many other industries.

I had full nationwide travel perks for two years when I worked for BR/SWT from 1994 to 96, but lost them as I decided to go to uni. I then had TfL perks when I worked on the Underground from 1999 to 2007. Since then, I've had a number of jobs in the rail industry, but none have come with any travel perks, because they've been freelance, consultancy or roles with suppliers and NR. If I had travel perks, I'd use them a lot, and I could choose to get aggrieved about the issue if I wanted to, but to be honest, life is too short and I can't really be bothered.
That's true of some roles, but not all when you consider the shift start/end times that are required etc.

Beyond that you do make a good point however.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm wondering what people think about the current staff travel privileges available for railway staff?

Many think we should have free travel on everything, no time limits or restrictions, no boxes or anything. It could also be argued that it is unfair for ex-BR and retired staff to have unlimited free travel boxes, but the luxury not extended to post-BR staff.
On the other hand you wouldn't expect a person who works at M&S to get free shopping or even discounts at Sainsburys or Aldi... The railway they say is one big family and so free travel privileges need to reflect this across all TOCs and regions (tough luck to jobsworth guards who refuse free travel for workers of different TOCs), but on the flip side it is in debt and needs all the revenue it can obtain to make up the deficit.

Is the current situation about right; should it be made more lenient; or is it already too generous and in need of overhaul not in the railway employee's favour?

It may well be the case that there is going to be some pressure on salaries over the next few years. Certainly I think it’s fair to say that driver pay in particular is likely to find itself up against a glass ceiling, at least for a bit.

So non-pay benefits may gain some level of salience over the next year or two. It’s something the industry could offer without it incurring too much of a cost. So it isn’t impossible we find the subject of more generous travel policies cropping up.

Journeyman

Established Member
That's true of some roles, but not all when you consider the shift start/end times that are required etc.

Beyond that you do make a good point however.
The simple fact is that a lot of staff don't really care about travel perks these days. I've often met staff who never use theirs at all. TOCs don't need to offer bells and whistles here any more - it does cost them money, after all.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think staff should be encouraged to use the trains. When I worked on the railway, as a general rule staff who used their travel facilities the most tended to be more knowledgeable and interested in the railway outside their little bubble.

Journeyman

Established Member
I think staff should be encouraged to use the trains. When I worked on the railway, as a general rule staff who used their travel facilities the most tended to be more knowledgeable and interested in the railway outside their little bubble.
I know what you mean - I worked for a bus company for a while, and when I told colleagues I used the company's own services to get to work, they looked at me like I had two heads.

Iskra

Established Member
The simple fact is that a lot of staff don't really care about travel perks these days. I've often met staff who never use theirs at all. TOCs don't need to offer bells and whistles here any more - it does cost them money, after all.
I can imagine that's true. If you spend your days working on the railway, I can imagine you might not want to be anywhere near on your days off.

dk1

Veteran Member
It’s an entitlement that was agreed when I was employed by BR & an agreement that it continues until I leave by either redundancy or retirement as long as I complete 20yrs service. That hasn’t changed & neither will that agreement.

TheAlbanach_

Current arrangement is fine. There is plenty people who want it all, but that’s not going to happen.
I love the free travel I get and 75% off is really damn good.
It would be nice for the priv seasons tickets to offer a little flexibility, they seem to more aimed at 9-5 railway workers. For example, I can’t take a train for all my shifts. Some shifts just one way etc.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It could also be argued that it is unfair for ex-BR and retired staff to have unlimited free travel boxes, but the luxury not extended to post-BR staff.

Unlimited travel boxes didn’t/don’t exist unless you were senior management and had a status pass.

Under BR you didn’t get free travel on the equivalent to the TOC you currently work you had to date a box so those 16/20 boxes could get quite easily used up. Now you get unlimited travel on your TOC but no National free travel. Win some loose some.

dk1

Veteran Member
I can imagine that's true. If you spend your days working on the railway, I can imagine you might not want to be anywhere near on your days off.
From my personal experience & for many I work with, that couldn’t be any further from the truth.

Under BR you didn’t get free travel on the equivalent to the TOC you currently work you had to date a box so those 16/20 boxes could get quite easily used up. Now you get unlimited travel on your TOC but no National free travel. Win some loose some.
Unless like me now you get the best of both worlds. I get my BR 16 boxes each year (2020/21 extended until 30th September this year due to Covid) and get unlimited free travel (1st class on GA) for any TOC Abellio is involved with.

Gloster

Established Member
Even in the 1980s there were quite a few who never used many (or even any) of their allocation of PRIV tickets, particularly among the younger employees. Even some of the older ones would only use one or two for things like Christmas shopping trips.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I think its a significant perk to have. Obviously any job has these and this one is relevant to the railway employees. Especially duty travel.

That being said as it is already a significant perk to get 75% off any leisure fares, I don't think it should go further. It's a massive reduction and people should be thankful for what they have. Personally I have no qualms paying this, although some guards hardly even want to charge you at all!

dk1

Veteran Member
Even in the 1980s there were quite a few who never used many (or even any) of their allocation of PRIV tickets, particularly among the younger employees. Even some of the older ones would only use one or two for things like Christmas shopping trips.
I remember. They where often very strange indeed. Never went anywhere. Some even wanted to be paid off for them which I would have fought tooth & nail against. Thankfully never came to such a ridiculous outcome & we retain them forever.

Journeyman

Established Member
Absolutely. Only a small number of rail staff are actually enthusiastic enough about trains to want to spend time on them on days off. I think most people on this forum who are rail staff are enthusiasts as well to at least some degree.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I think its a significant perk to have. Obviously any job has these and this one is relevant to the railway employees. Especially duty travel.

That being said as it is already a significant perk to get 75% off any leisure fares, I don't think it should go further. It's a massive reduction and people should be thankful for what they have. Personally I have no qualms paying this, although some guards hardly even want to charge you at all!

But should that discount facility be extended to those Network Rail staff who now get nothing?

Highlandspring

Established Member
It is worth pointing out for those who aren’t aware that a significant number of railway staff in the freight and infrastructure parts of the industry have absolutely no concessionary/privilege travel arrangements.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I do think the current system is overcomplicated and costs money to manage. Do I really need 5 different passes when one or two will do? (DAT, Priv card, TPE pass, Firstgroup boxes, FIP card, T+W Pop card....) far simpler would be say unlimited for your own TOC, limited number of boxes and priv fare for everyone no time restrictions.

Would the industry really see a massive influx of staff travelling if standard all lines passes were offered to all? and how much money would be saved implementing just one pass?

6Gman

Established Member
I don't get any travel concessions but I see no problem with the current arrangements.
We each signed up to what we signed up to.

Some of us had lucky breaks ( I just lasted long enough to get lifetime entitlement); some of us were unlucky (my health broke down a promotion or two short of First Class). C'est la vie. Que sera sera.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Agreed 100%

It’s an entitlement that was agreed when I was employed by BR & an agreement that it continues until I leave by either redundancy or retirement as long as I complete 20yrs service. That hasn’t changed & neither will that agreement.

You might want to check that. That was my understanding until I checked... and if you leave by redundancy you only retain it if you are able to meet the conditions for taking your pension. In my case that is age 50, regardless of years service.

6Gman

Established Member
From my personal experience & for many I work with, that couldn’t be any further from the truth.

Unless like me now you get the best of both worlds. I get my BR 16 boxes each year (2020/21 extended until 30th September this year due to Covid) and get unlimited free travel (1st class on GA) for any TOC Abellio is involved with.
Is that a general thing? Not heard anything, and it would be useful!

Agreed 100%

You might want to check that. That was my understanding until I checked... and if you leave by redundancy you only retain it if you are able to meet the conditions for taking your pension. In my case that is age 50, regardless of years service.
I left under redundancy aged 40-ish and kept all my facilities.

Steddenm

I've a "Family" pass originally issued by one TOC (which is now another TOC) which gives free first class leisure travel on all TOC services which I do actually use quite a lot.

At the time the TOC didn't operate services to my old local station (they do now), and another TOC allowed travel on their services to the main local TOC railhead.

As I now live in Ireland but work in the UK (lockdown travel has been fun), one of the ferry companies will now accept the AWC pass for travel, paying port tax only on all their services, even though it isn't a RDG PRIV pass as such. It's a "friendly agreement" between the TOC and the ferry company.

I was on an Iarnród Éireann service a few weeks ago between Dublin and Belfast and due to a computer problem at Connelly you were unable to buy a ticket at the station and was advised to buy one on board (irishrail.ie was down too), the guard saw the logo of the TOC I hold a pass for and told me not to worry about the fare. He issued me with a ticket though which had a €0.00 fare for the return and barriers at Lanyon Place.

dk1

Veteran Member
Agreed 100%

Oh I would check everything with a fine toothed comb & staff travel would be a priority. I’ve done 37yrs this year so shouldn’t be an issue when I decide to flee mate. Thanks though.

Is that a general thing? Not heard anything, and it would be useful!
Hi & yes. Just check the rail staff travel section at Rail Delivery Group. It was decided that due to limited use all the 2020/21 entitlement for staff travel was extended from 30th June to 30th September. No need to start filling your 2021/22 boxes in until 1st October.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have first class travel facilities, including the sleeper. I’ve said before on these pages that many of you will not believe how little I use them - to and from work, and occasional leisure trips, perhaps once a month. Mrs BR uses hers around once a month too, and the kids maybe a couple of times a year. We’ve never used them to go on holiday, as we always need the car. And when we go to visit friends / relations etc it’s so much easier and quicker to use the car, so that’s what we do.

International facilities - I’ve used twice in nearly 30 years. I’d like to have used them more, but my circumstances don’t allow it.

There’s no doubt it’s a great perk, however if I was less lazy I’d have traded it in years ago for the ‘car allowance’ instead and be a substantially richer man. But I like having the freedom of being able to turn up for any train, anywhere, and get on it. Even if I don’t often use it!

Established Member
Everyone, regardless of seniority, boil in the bags, newbies, 50 year men who started as coal slingers on footplates, "I worked for BR for 6 weeks in the nineties", post 1996 TOCNE, no matter who .... ALL should get the same travel benefits, and ALL should get the same retirement travel benefits.. either all or nothing.

The current differential should be challenged in court and have it declared unlawful.

As for someone's analogy about Marks and Spencer giving away free food, I seriously doubt that any firm in the stingey retail sector would even give away a carrier bag, let alone any contents to go in it.

ComUtoR

Established Member
PRIV should be available from a ticket machine.

On the other hand you wouldn't expect a person who works at M&S to get free shopping or even discounts at Sainsburys or Aldi...

I used to work in retail and staff discount was available at every shop in the owning group. Free Travel across my TOC group and nation wide PRIV works ok for me.

I think there needs to be more flexibility in the scheme as a whole but in general it does work.

alistairlees

Established Member
Everyone, regardless of seniority, boil in the bags, newbies, 50 year men who started as coal slingers on footplates, "I worked for BR for 6 weeks in the nineties", post 1996 TOCNE, no matter who .... ALL should get the same travel benefits, and ALL should get the same retirement travel benefits.. either all or nothing.

The current differential should be challenged in court and have it declared unlawful.

As for someone's analogy about Marks and Spencer giving away free food, I seriously doubt that any firm in the stingey retail sector would even give away a carrier bag, let alone any contents to go in it.
I used to work at John Lewis (in the 1990s!). Staff got 12.5% off in the first year, and 25% thereafter. I don't know if it's still the same. As it stands the staff travel scheme seems good and fair to me. I don't see why everyone needs to get the same benefits irrespective of length of service or when they started. It's normal for there to be a need to change things, as circumstances change.

Status
Not open for further replies.