• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do you get heaters turned off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailman

A question for you guys...how do you get heaters turned off in a carriage if you are travelling as a passenger on a stinking hot day? How does one get the message to the driver to turn the heating off?

Regards

Mailman

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
If it's a Pacer or a 150 it's probable that it's not the heating that's turned on but the waste heat from the engines that is being blasted up.

Otherwise if it's not a DOO train ask the conductor.

mailman

Trains from Peterborough dont have conductors on them, only occasionally ticket inspectors.

Regards

Mailman

pemma

Veteran Member
Trains from Peterborough dont have conductors on them, only occasionally ticket inspectors.

EMT and XC trains from Peterborough do. You haven't said what operator you were travelling with or what traction you were on.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
EMT and XC trains from Peterborough do. You haven't said what operator you were travelling with or what traction you were on.

As do East Coast. I assume the OP is using FCC DOO services towards London Kings Cross via Stevenage? Traction will usually be a 365 or a 321 with the occasional 317. Most if not all of these have opening windows (passenger operated) or ball vents, try operating these, ok it makes a noise but its better than disturbing the driver.

TP

callum112233

Yesterday I was on the 16:32 from Wigan to Huddersfield. That was a 142 and it seemed like the heaters were on. Thank lord I happened to have a couple of cold budweisers with me ;)

Muzer

Established Member
Ah, I'm so glad that SWT take good care of their 158s/159s and their temperamental air cons... it was heaven stepping into one today :D

Established Member
I was told once on a EC service that the temperature and aircon is preset at the depot, and cannot be changed by the conductor or driver - not sure if this is the case or not.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I was told once on a EC service that the temperature and aircon is preset at the depot, and cannot be changed by the conductor or driver - not sure if this is the case or not.

What? Surely that can't be right? :?

In the carriage I was in yesterday on my journey back from York the air con must have been playing up because it was absolutely baking! This was on top of the expected Mallard being replaced with an HST.

Established Member
No idea, although it would explain why the aircon was making the set feel like Siberia when I was on it.

millemille

Report it to someone from the TOC. Station staff, train crew, revenue staff, whoever....

...the defect report should make it back it to a maintenance depot.

iphone76

The trains I have been on over the past few days between Wickford and Liverpool Street have had the heating on full blast. I was told by the twitter team that the driver has no control over the thermostat or heating and it can only be corrected by the fleet team in the depot.

Last Summer, in the morning as we were getting off the train, the cleaners would go through the carriages closing all the windows before the train went to the sidings. I'm sure they sat there all day with the windows closed and heating on.

trainophile

Established Member
I've been told the same on ATW, that the heating cannot be altered by anyone on board. I'm wondering if this is a stock reply, because if it became known that it could be changed, surely there would be people wanting the temperature higher and people wanting it lower (perhaps depending on how they were dressed!), and war would break out.

iphone76

I guess it would turn into polly put the kettle on / sukey turn it off again! It is predictable, as within 5 or 6 months, when it gets cold, the heaters will be off.

A-driver

Established Member
Drivers/train crew have no control over temperature. Heaters are either on or off and can only be turned on or off by a fitter at the depot. Most we can do is trip the MCB in each coach but only if someone reports it to us as we can't tell how hot each coach is.

A common issue with 365s is that passengers open windows when heaters are on. The thermostat is the funny 'speaker like' thing between windows and so as soon as cold air from an open window hits this the heaters turn up! Just a bad design.

millemille

EMU's have a thermostatically controlled heating system. Generally set to cut the heating out at 21 degrees rising and cut it in at 18 degrees falling. If a thermostat or control panel has failed the heating will continue to run irrespective of the air temperature.

That's why it needs to be reported, 'cos it's a fault with the train and might run for several weeks before the unit goes back to depot for routine maintenance and even then it might not be spotted because a significant percentage of exams take place at night , when ambient temperatures are lower so the heating running all the time might not be spotted as the examiner will expect the heating to be on.

Stewart

Just refuse to show your ticket until the windows are opened - I did this last summer and got what I wanted. :)

iphone76

Not sure who I would refuse to show my season ticket to. Cannot remember last time we had an on board ticket check. All done at the station now GA are in charge.

Now you mention it, a driver did override the heating system last year when it was on during the hottest day of the year when the wires sagged and it took 2 hours to get home. That was a fun journey.

philjo

Established Member
FCC have stated before in response to questions on their webchats that the heating on the units can only be switched on or off in the depot & the driver has no control over it. They did advise to send a message to their twitter account stating the coach number for very hot or cold coaches so that they can be attended to.

6Gman

Established Member
I've been told the same on ATW, that the heating cannot be altered by anyone on board. I'm wondering if this is a stock reply, because if it became known that it could be changed, surely there would be people wanting the temperature higher and people wanting it lower (perhaps depending on how they were dressed!), and war would break out.

I was on an ATW 175 a few months ago and the air-con was clearly faulty (cannot recall now whether it was blasting cold air, or cooking us all!). Had a word with the Cionductor who prodded something on the ceiling with a sharp object and all was well!

On certain companies drivers don't have any control over the heating or air conditioning on certain units, however they can open the quarter drop windows with the t-key as a short term measure to get some cooling in

Established Member
The only time Traincrew can open a window on a class 378 is when the air con has packed up, the passengers are complaining, control have said its ok and Bombardier have said its ok, then and only then can the traincrew can do something.

On the flipside of this i was working a train today where the passengers got lovely cold air con and the traincrew were left cooking as the thermostat in the cabs were not working so all the traincrew were getting was warm and very warm air! Suffice to say i spent most of my time inside the train to keep cool.

Lrd

Established Member
I was on an ATW 175 a few months ago and the air-con was clearly faulty (cannot recall now whether it was blasting cold air, or cooking us all!). Had a word with the Cionductor who prodded something on the ceiling with a sharp object and all was well!
They would of reset the system, if the heating/air con is playing up, the guard tends to reset it and see if it works, not much else they can do...

Masboroughlad

Established Member
A question for you guys...how do you get heaters turned off in a carriage if you are travelling as a passenger on a stinking hot day? How does one get the message to the driver to turn the heating off?

Regards

Mailman

I was on a 142 from Huddersfield to Man Vic and it had its heating on. It was unbearable and busy too. Old mark ones with wndows wide open and a no heat loco were best on days like today!!

causton

Established Member
The only time Traincrew can open a window on a class 378 is when the air con has packed up, the passengers are complaining, control have said its ok and Bombardier have said its ok, then and only then can the traincrew can do something.

On the flipside of this i was working a train today where the passengers got lovely cold air con and the traincrew were left cooking as the thermostat in the cabs were not working so all the traincrew were getting was warm and very warm air! Suffice to say i spent most of my time inside the train to keep cool.

You have to ask Bombardier first? Why, have they built them so badly the windows might fall out when you unlock them? ;)

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
The easter 142's have a switch in the cab behind the driver that turns the heating off in that coach

errrrrrr no they don't

The heating on Pacers can not be turned off as the same system keeps the engine cool all we can do is turn the fans off (which helps a bit) switching the MCB for the Aux Heater Override will cause the engines to overheat and shut down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.