• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do you spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Ive been noticing how we have alot of sterotypes and alot of so called 'chavs' that spot aswell. The Valeg group acted like chavs , where as some people are really weird:shock:.

So Awnser this question?
How do you spot?/photograph/film

Traky Bottoms?
Hoody?
Trainers?
Sandals(summer weather , or autumn for some.....)
Shorts?

How do you spot?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well, I'll base my thoughts on the way I went out yesterday:

Thick jumper for warmth
Thick winter coat, again for warmth and to protect against wind and rain
Notepad
Both number-crunching books
Orange highlighter
Multiple pens, preferably black
(as well as the usual t-shirt, jeans and so on)
95% of the time I am out and about in footwear that forms a cross between safety boots and trainers.

Tend to usually only pull out a pen and my main number-crunching book when out at somewhere like Clapham Junction, with the highlighter close to hand. Notepad gets filled with any thoughts during the day and the moves made, as well as noting any required sightings for all-time.

Tracksuit clothing, never ever.
Hoodies, never ever

Sandals and long shorts only in the peak summer for obvious reasons and only if it's hot.

Julian G

Established Member
Shirt,Jacket, T-shirt [Summer Only], jeans

At the station, I stand behind the yellow line
I always make sure that I'm not getting in the way of a photographer taking photos

T

Tom

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention, I also wear HuddersfieldGravedigger(TM) branded jeans.

Turbostar

I don't spot as such, I keep track of the SWT 159's I've seen down here, & what's happening with them, kept on my trusty PDA. Apart from that it's just photography, which I'm gonna start more now I have a new digi cam in my possession from mum & dad for by birthday. Plus, inherited a new friend to go out & about with on the trains, so getting out more now. Clothes wise, just casual, jeans, t-shirt or polo shirt, casual jacket. Simple & basic for me.

Mart

rail-britain

Established Member
For leisure I tend to dress as per the weather conditions
Most of the time it is from the luxury of my car, sitting in a station car park or trackside observation point

My method of taking numbers used to be a reporters notepad and two pens
I then moved on to a voice recorder
I now use a PDA

I recorded all trains seen, unless I knew I had already seen them, between 1984 and 1996
I now only record the Class 390s I have travelled on

1D53

Established Member
Nothing like a pair of combats and a hoody to get the tuts from the wagon spotters!! :grin:

Daniel

Established Member
I don't acctually write down numbers... but I generally just wear normal clothes - comfortable trainers, trousers and a t-shirt, plus a lonsdale jacket in case it gets cold.

As Julian mentioned, in the summer wear long shorts or 3/4 length trousers.

Established Member
I usally dress what weather it is , i.e when we went to basingstoke I had trackbottoms on , trainers and a fleece. Now the weather is getting colder i wear a blue gurensey type jumper.

Although yesterday when fred and I plus another person went Staines crossing vegging I had my blue gurensey type jumper on , jeans and because me and fred had done an 'Unusaul Dare' I had sandals on as shoes:shock:. But not proper ones only with a few wholes(:???:)and fred had shorts on which meant he was cold and I was cold abit but we did enjoy ourselves. Although when we go to EH depending On the weather....

Established Member
I think you mean Fred and I ;) :lol:

I thought when we were down there , is a there a problem looking what we looked like:shock:. Can anyone give me a awnser and say 'I dont care what I look like'.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Blue/black jeans. Black Chuck Taylors that are more holes than shoes.
T-shirt with a long sleeve shirt or jumper on top. Hoody on top of that if it's really cold, and then a black coat on top again.
If it's late and cold out, then I'll wear my hood up, which makes me look like a granny mugger, but I can assure you that I'm not.

I just look like the average railway vandalising teenager really :p

Jord

Tracksuit bottoms,
Comfy trainers,
Hoody/Jacket/Jumper [But always hood is down],
2 pens with notebook,
Camera [sometimes tripod],
Sandals - never,
Jeans - never [too uncomfy for me],
3/4's in summer,
But sadly i don't have an orange Hi-Viz :(

mbonwick

Established Member
For me (when I actually go once in a blue moon)

Shirt
Fleece
tracksuit bottoms/jeans which are comfy
Comfy trainers
Camera (well, duh)
Notebook and pen/pencil

Basically everything I wear is for my comfort, not the looks.

andel

I don't do the general 'spotting'... I just go out to get some slick photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.