• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How does the UK Bus Industry recover from this Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
That's the big Question, I've been wonder of late: "How does the UK Bus Industry recover from this Pandemic" In some cases its resulted in a proper shift in the current travel patterns of the public, which means the existing bus networks need to play catch up. The trouble is how do they go about it ie making the changes and will the new normal stay the same? Too many networks are built around town centres which are now dying off, and new central locations need to be found.

Some places like Stagecoach East Scotland have taken the opportunity to overhaul their day and weekly tickets, so in certain parts of the UK some companies have already started.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johncrossley

Established Member
That's the big Question, I've been wonder of late: "How does the UK Bus Industry recover from this Pandemic" In some cases its resulted in a proper shift in the current travel patterns of the public, which means the existing bus networks need to play catch up. The trouble is how do they go about it ie making the changes and will the new normal stay the same? Too many networks are built around town centres which are now dying off, and new central locations need to be found.

Some places like Stagecoach East Scotland have taken the opportunity to overhaul their day and weekly tickets, so in certain parts of the UK some companies have already started.

See the National Bus Strategy for England. Presumably there will be something similar in Scotland if buses continue to need support for the foreseeable future.

overthewater

Established Member
Of course its no good just pouring money into a hole, Surely the companies will have to make changes?

Last edited by a moderator:

johncrossley

Established Member
Of course its no good just pouring money into a hole, Surly the companies will have to make changes?

Alternatively we just accept that public transport is a necessity that needs continuous subsidy, like what happens with the trains and like what happens with buses in most other developed countries.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I'm unsure how the industry will recover or what it will take to attract passengers back but what I can say is it will take time. Our passenger numbers fell to less than 10% of pre Covid levels overnight and I suspect that is typical of all companies.

route101

Established Member
I think round my area (Glasgow) buses have bounced back better than the trains. Working class demographic. Compared to my local line, more wealthy work at home demographic.

RogerOut

I think train services will suffer, certainly in the short to medium term. Fewer people travelling in the South East to London, now more people will work from home.
I suppose buses will always be needed, local people will always rely on buses, whether it’s to schools, hospitals, other work places.
Clearly there will be an impact on pax numbers all the while social distancing is in place.

Ken H

On Moderation
Commuter traffic will take a big hit as people work from home more. So people wont want a season valid every day, but 5 day in 10 ticket would work. How to manage that I dont know.

leisure traffic will be hard to get back while the mask and social distancing thing is going on. We need a way of rolling that back and quickly. It puts people off leisure shopping and eating out, and also sitting on a train or bus for several hours in a mask isnt comfortable.

Gonna be hard....

WM Bus

Birmingham buses seem to be getting busier from what I've seen, now shops, etc have reopened. I also saw 5413 on a X8 to Wolverhampton via Blackheath & Dudley displaying Bus Full on the Birmingham Five Ways Island this afternoon.
And an 11 & 55 displaying "Bus Full" at Ward End yesterday as well.

Last edited:

lxfe_mxtterz

Stagecoach in my area certainly don't appear to have suffered too much. I commute using the same route about four times a week, and throughout the pandemic my outbound morning service has constantly driven past me displaying "Bus Full" (current record is three full buses in a row <(). There were a few times I just gave up and decided to leave the house an hour and a half earlier to get the slow bus to a stop close enough and walk the remaining 20 minutes from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.