• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How early can I get on a train before departure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denzo

I'm on the 0700 King's Cross to Edinburgh tomorrow, and I'll probably be out all night tonight.

My plan is to sleep it off on the journey but if the train is there from like 6/6:30 obviously I can grab a little extra kip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

broadgage

In practice you probably can not get on until the train has been cleaned and prepared and the platform number has been announced.
Most trains are not announced until less than 30 minutes before departure, though early morning services may be announced longer in advance.

There are sometimes ways of determining the platform number before it be advertised but they are not infallible and may not help in this case.

pemma

Veteran Member
If the platform number has been announced and the train is there with the doors released then you can get on. However, they won't release the doors to allow passengers to board until the train has been prepared for use so it may not be until 06:50 that you can board even if the train is there at 06:00.

TimboM

Established Member
From the looks of RTT the set forming that service gets brought in about 2am from Bounds Green depot. However, I expect they'll only open it up to passengers c.20-30 mins before departure as others have said.

I'm less familiar with VTEC's normal procedures/timings (others will know better) as I usually travel with Virgin West Coast from Euston, but assuming they're similar, it's typically around the 20 minute mark.

Suggest you get to the station about 06:30, use RTT to find out what platform it's on (currently scheduled for Plat 4, but of course could change) - then [assuming it's not open at that point] wait at the platform so you can get on as soon as they open it up for passengers.

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
I'm on the 0700 King's Cross to Edinburgh tomorrow, and I'll probably be out all night tonight.

My plan is to sleep it off on the journey but if the train is there from like 6/6:30 obviously I can grab a little extra kip.

Sometimes the travelling public are kept out of the train when the crew are onboard until just before departure. This Northern Service to Carlisle at Newcastle on 22 March last (just before the regime change).

attachment.php

Attachments

• CSC_1629.jpg
    CSC_1629.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 383

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sometimes the travelling public are kept out of the train when the crew are onboard until just before departure. This Northern Service to Carlisle at Newcastle on 22 March last (just before the regime change).

I've seen a TPE crew board and sit in the saloon stinking it out with chips[1] while we all stood outside in the freezing cold.

[1] Wouldn't have been so bad were it cold/non-smelly food.

Comstock

You do realise there is a 6.15 am departure as well?

I'm presuming you've pre booked for the 7.00 am specifically?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Presumably if it's arrived in fron Bounds Green earlier in the morning, it will be ready for use save placement of reservation tickets and loading of the buffer car? If so, I'd hazard a guess likes others that it'll be in the 20-30 mins region, depending on when the crew arrive to release the doors.

GW43125

Established Member
Presumably if it's arrived in fron Bounds Green earlier in the morning, it will be ready for use save placement of reservation tickets and loading of the buffer car? If so, I'd hazard a guess likes others that it'll be in the 20-30 mins region, depending on when the crew arrive to release the doors.

VTEC generally start boarding c.20mins before departure from the Cross.

duncanp

Established Member
Kings Cross is open for passengers from 05:00, and tonight will be served by all night services on the Piccadilly and Victoria lines.

Denzo

You do realise there is a 6.15 am departure as well?

I'm presuming you've pre booked for the 7.00 am specifically?

Advanced ticket mate, doing this on the cheap. Think it was £19 with my 16-25.

Does anyone know how busy these trains normally are?

duncanp

Established Member
They shouldn't be too busy at 07:00 on a Saturday, unless one of the London football teams is playing away somewhere in the North East

You might see some Crystal Palace fans on their way to Middlesbrough, but nothing much else.

There is a 24 hour McDonalds outside Kings Cross station.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I seem to recall the adjacent St Pancras building being open 24/7, at least if you don't get in the cleaners' way ;)

TimboM

Established Member

I've been on a fair few EMU/DMU services where they've only opened it up 1/2 mins before scheduled departure, but loading of such trains is pretty quick. For a 9-coach 225 (or HST) at a terminus platform it takes somewhat longer to load and they'll want everyone boarded and doors closed "up to 2 mins before departure" so they leave promptly at 07:00.

Noting it'll be the set's first trip of the day, baring any unforeseen circumstances it should be there waiting and opened up c.06:30-06:40.

TimboM

Established Member
Advanced ticket mate, doing this on the cheap. Think it was £19 with my 16-25.

Does anyone know how busy these trains normally are?

I doubt it will be busy. However, if VTEC are like other train companies, they seem to like to put booked/reserved seats (which you'll have) in certain coaches first, so on a quiet service coaches A, B and C (for sake of argument) have more people in dutifully sitting in their booked seats, whereas other coaches are quieter. You might (and it's not guaranteed) find it quieter in one of the unreserved coaches rather than wherever your seats are booked.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Passengers are rarely allowed on to TPEs at Liverpool Lime Street until about 5 mins before departure which means a surreptitious pace up and down the platform looking through the windows for the few seats that are unreserved before hovering near the chosen door ready for the Le mans start. I wish I didn't have to behave like this but I'm too old to stand for long distances!

One point for the OP is the set that is 'booked' to come in for the 0700 isn't necessarily the set which will *actually* do the 0700 - set swaps are common prior to the first departures to get sets into diagram for maintenance requirements.

455driver

Veteran Member
What time does the Guard book on duty?

Its all well and good saying it will be unlocked 20 minutes befre departure but if the Guard s booked to get to the train 5 minute (or less) before departure then that is when it will be unlocked.

robbeech

Established Member
It's always worth asking a crew member if there is one on there if this is the **** to **** after gaining some prior knowledge and if so can you board now and promise to behave yourself. This is more likely to happen later in the day as the 0700 will likely be the first working for some of the crew and they may not board until shortly before departure.

Academic now as the time has been and gone, Departed and Arrived on time and DID go from Platform 4 as booked.

I wonder how many people sleep for a couple of hours on the night tube.

Lee_Again

Note to self.

Quote this message next time a 'why First' thread opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.