• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How far can you travel for £10 from your station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Anywhere on the northern network for the time being while their £10 offer is on, but normally, I think you can get to Leeds on northern from Manchester for £10?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
From WWL, I can't get too far. If I go East I can get to Retford. It's £5 for a day return. I just miss out on Lea Road as that's £10.20
North and West I can get to Sheffield for £6.70 or Chapeltown for an extra £1.
South is Nottigham and no further for £8.

Even if I start at Worksop I still can't get to Doncaster on a 'via Sheffield northern only' restriction as that is £10.10

Iskra

Established Member
Anywhere on the northern network for the time being while their £10 offer is on, but normally, I think you can get to Leeds on northern from Manchester for £10?

It's been changed to £10.05 now. Very recently I could get an off-peak return to Manchester with my railcard for £9.90 from Dewsbury on TPE.

Now I can do Batley-Manchester Victoria for £8.25 with Northern on my railcard which is 43 miles of track. Still £2 advances available for tomorrow though...

Last edited:

Established Member
It's been changed to £10.05 now. Very recently I could get an off-peak return to Manchester with my railcard for £9.90 from Dewsbury on TPE.

Now I can do Batley-Manchester Victoria for £8.25 with Northern on my railcard which is 43 miles of track. Still £2 advances available for tomorrow though...
Is the £10.05 with a railcard? I assume so?

alex17595

If I drive 3 miles to Tutbury+Hatton and use my railcard I can get to Walkden (70 miles 44ch) for £9.40 which isn't too bad at all.

DJ737

You didn't say it had to be in the UK, so here goes :
Riddles Creek to Stony Point (in Victoria, Australia)
83 miles each way : $7.90 return or £3.87 :lol:

That's full fare, knock off 50% if you have a concession card, which seem to be issued to anyone from old age to having an ingrown toenail or having too many kids without a father :roll:

People here grizzle about the Public Transport fares as well.

DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
Out of interest, I thought I'd do a similar exercise for how far £10 (approx AU$20) will get you in Australia.

On the extensive Sydney Trains system, it's generally* impossible to spend as much as £10 on a simple return ticket.
If you buy a walk-up adult return paper ticket from Maitland at the network's northern extremity to Bomaderry at the southern end, it costs $17.60 (£9 in round figures) for a 338km (210 miles) one way journey. Even cheaper if you use an Opal smartcard, which has a AU$15 (~£7.50) daily cap. Paper tickets are being phased out in Sydney and replaced with Opal cards

(*) If you start or finish at one of the two railway stations at Sydney Airport (which are operated by a private company), you pay a hefty additional $13.40 "access charge" for each entry or exit. This makes a return ticket between, say, Maitland and the Airport jump to $44.40 (£22).

Not to say you can't spend more than £10 on an adult train fare in NSW - country trains cover greater distances, require pre-purchase & compulsory reservations and cost more than the turn-up-and-go urban trains. Sydney to Canberra is $39.54 (just under £20) adult full fare for 205 miles (similar distance to Euston/Preston).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Northbound Stevenage to Kings Lynn, 71 miles for a very reasonable £9.00 with a Gold Card discount.
Southbound Stevenage to Earlswood, 51 miles for £9.65 with Gold Card discount.

Only on weekends or Bank Holidays though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well if we're including Advances, for £8 I can do Hereford to London Euston via Birmingham New Street (Route LM Only), so something like 165 miles. Bargain!

Dai Corner

Established Member
From Pye Corner on the Ebbw Vale branch, anywhere on the Valleys network for a maximum of £5.70 single or £7.90 day return.

Severn Tunnel Junction is £9.70 single but I couldn't get home again as a day return is £10.20

pemma

Veteran Member
The furthest I can get to from my local(High Wycombe) for £10 is probably Birmingham, £7.90 Adult Advance with 16-25 railcard :lol:

Well if we're including Advances, for £8 I can do Hereford to London Euston via Birmingham New Street (Route LM Only), so something like 165 miles. Bargain!

I thought this thread was based on the cheapest walk-on return fare available, so unless you can buy an Advance 5 minutes before you travel I don't think they count and even if you can you need to double the fare to allow for making a return journey.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I can get to Oxford, Guildford, Bedwyn & Ealing Broadway for £8.25 with a 16-25

dcsprior

The station which is easiest to get to from my house is Edinburgh Waverley - I can get an off-peak day return to Dunblane (41mi 34ch) for £9.40.

The station which is actually closest to my house is Shawfair - I can only get as far as Falkirk Grahamston (31mi 27ch) for the same price.

The station which is local to me midweek is East Croydon - I can get to Watford Junction (26mi 4ch) for £3 on oyster off-peak, so £6 return.

In terms of pence per mile, those work out to 11.35p / 15.00p / 11.52p, so it looks like the Shawfair one is the oddity.

Last edited:

northrob

From York (starting at the ECML northwards and working clockwise):

ECML (Northbound): Northallerton - £9.90 (Grand Central only) - Other TOCs nowhere!
York - Scarborough Line: Malton - £9.30
York - Hull Line: Howden - £9.40
ECML (Southbound) - Nowhere!
Dearne Valley Line - Sherburn-in-Elmet - £5.60
York - Leeds Line: Church Fenton - £5.60
Harrogate Line: Hornbeam Park - £9.90

Kite159

Veteran Member
From Salisbury, all off-peak day returns with no railcards:

South - Romsey (£7.30)
North - Warminster (£7.20)
West - Gillingham (£7.00)
East - Andover (£8.50)

So starting at Salisbury your £10 doesn't get you that far for a day return

James H

From Elephant & Castle - all prices are super off peak returns (i.e. weekend only) with a Network Railcard

Bedford - £9.65
Letchworth Garden City - £9.65
Stevenage - £8.65
Three Bridges - £8.70 (Off Peak Return)

Looking beyond TSGN stations I could get to Guildford (not via London) for £8.85 or Windsor for £9.50.

Or Wokingham for £9.85. Or Chatham for £9.65. Or Slough £9.55.

King's Langley £9.85

Brentwood £8.50
Basildon £9.50

Last edited:

crispy1978

I wonder if we compared like with like, ie off peak day returns with no discounts etc, we could do some form of 'table' to find the best and worst options - probably using pence per mile as our unit of measurement?

D6975

Established Member
Same goes for a Ride Cornwall Day Ranger. That will get you from Plymouth to anwhere west of that including all five branches, and allow travel on all of First and Citybus services within Cornwall. That's most of the buses in Cornwall.
All for just £10 undiscounted.

And if you're travelling in the evening (after 18:00 plus a couple of easements) it comes down to just a fiver..

Status
Not open for further replies.