• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How far can you travel for £10 from your station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
*Not really a Trivia thread.
*Don't think it fits into the Fares subforum unless a Mod feels differently.

Scenario: Walk-up return ticket only (ticket office or pay on the train). You must state whether discounted or not. No loopholes, long- or short-faring. Travelcard/Oyster accepted if end points are NR stations.

For me, apart from Darwen#, Entwistle# and Runcorn, I can get anywhere on Merseyrail and in TfGM territory with extra bits including upto and including New Mills Central, Middlewood, Chelford, Ramsgreave & Wilpshire, Accrington, Preston, Blackpool N/S, Ince & Elton (from Liverpool) and Frodsham (from Warrington).

# I imagine a ticket to Accrington would include a journey through Darwen and Entwistle so I'll leave that upto you to decide.

Furthest point is Ince & Elton - 36 miles via Liverpool Lime Street.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Furthest I can get from Knutsford (Cheshire) if I go west is Delamere which is around 13 miles away. However, at peak times the return fare would exceed £10 so I wouldn't even get that far. As there's no interchange point before Delamere there's no other options in that direction.

At off peak times the fare to Manchester is under £10 return so I can possibly get to a few stations beyond Manchester for under £10 but again that wouldn't apply at peak times when the return fare to Manchester is over £10. At peak times the furthest I can get in that direction is Stockport where the return fare is exactly £10.

Last edited by a moderator:

charley_17/7

Used to be £9.90, but increased to £10.55 is a MKC to EUS LM-Only Off Peak Day Return, discounted with a Network Railcard. Exceptionally good value for a 46 mile journey (or 92 miles there and back!).

greatkingrat

Established Member
If you live in Stranraer you can't travel anywhere! A return to Barrhill is 15.10.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
If your station is served by Northern, and if one of their offers is currently running, then you can go to anywhere else that they serve, and on and on and on, for a day. (£10 Day Rover valid on all Northern operated trains).

[pedant]Unless you add in the £1.30 it costs to buy the two newspapers you also need in order to get tokens to qualify[/pedant]

Rapidash

A tenner gets you a Devon Day Ranger/Rover (after 0900)which covers the entire county (not Okehampton, though?) Cheaper with a card of course.

Not that I'd want to go Axminster/Tiverton/Barnstaple/Plymouth. (I kid, I kid!)

pemma

Veteran Member
If your station is served by Northern, and if one of their offers is currently running, then you can go to anywhere else that they serve, and on and on and on, for a day. (£10 Day Rover valid on all Northern operated trains).

[pedant]Unless you add in the £1.30 it costs to buy the two newspapers you also need in order to get tokens to qualify[/pedant]

None of the local papers in my area have ever participated in that offer, so anyone from my area needs to add on the cost of acquiring papers that aren't sold in their area.

Also it's a only ever a limited time offer - a bit like when TOCs offer 20% off all their off-peak fares if you buy them from their website.

AM9

Veteran Member
A tenner gets you a Devon Day Ranger/Rover (after 0900)which covers the entire county (not Okehampton, though?) Cheaper with a card of course.

Same goes for a Ride Cornwall Day Ranger. That will get you from Plymouth to anwhere west of that including all five branches, and allow travel on all of First and Citybus services within Cornwall. That's most of the buses in Cornwall.
All for just £10 undiscounted.

Minilad

Established Member
From Birmingham I could use my Cross Country staff pass to get to Aberdeen then for 7.85 Priv rtn I could get to Inverness.
So. Birmingham to Inverness and 2.15 change.
I am guessing that won't be allowed though ;)

iantherev

There's nothing wrong with Axminster! In answer to the original question, from Axminster it's Gunnislake.

Gathursty

Established Member
From Birmingham I could use my Cross Country staff pass to get to Aberdeen then for 7.85 Priv rtn I could get to Inverness.
So. Birmingham to Inverness and 2.15 change.
I am guessing that won't be allowed though ;)

:P I'll let you off! You lucky XC lot! :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
I can get to Bedwyn from here for £9.20 (undiscounted), which is 70 miles & 52 chains going via Reading.

And if I time it right, I can come back via Westbury with some HST action to do a circular journey, giving a total of 135 miles & 26 chains of track (apart from a short section between Southcote Jn & Reading)

Last edited:

Established Member
The furthest I can get from my station for £10 is Manchester Piccadilly, £3.00 each way.

crispy1978

Using my DSB railcard from Scarborough, I have the following options:

Malton - £6.60 Return (20m 74c x 2)
Beverley - £9.95 Return (45m 46c x2)

That's not including any special offers that may be in place (Northern Newspaper Day Rovers, etc)

trainmania100

Established Member
I believe I can get from Brighton to Gatwick Airport on a standard return ticket fpr 10.00,,,
However the other day I was able to get a super off peak day return with thameslink for 6 pounds something...

Gathursty

Established Member
From what I've seen, most of us all roughly get 30-40 miles in one direction for a £10 return but some of us have more routes available in which to travel, except for that awful Stranraer example! :s

backontrack

Established Member
I found a small loophole while looking up my local ticket prices <D

Obviously I'm not mentioning it on this thread...

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I can get from Leamington to Hereford (and back) for £9 apparently (child fare). Not sure if there is anything better from Leam.

pemma

Veteran Member
except for that awful Stranraer example! :s

Stanraer to Barrhill is missing an off-peak return fare. To me £15.10 sounds normal for slightly over 25 miles each way at peak times, given Knutsford to Chester is £14.70 return at peak times and it's less than 25 miles. However, the lack of an off-peak ticket does make it poor value at off-peak times.

causton

Established Member
Not counting my PRIV or Govia staff pass (how far can I get from Liverpool for £10 on a Priv? ;) )...

With my 16-25 railcard Leighton Buzzard to Northampton is £8.60 CDR (Long Buckby £10.45!) so that's as far as I can go north!
Eastwards is good, with a fare surprisingly set by Thameslink and Great Northern even though they only price one stop of it (possibly 2 if you include LBZ - Bletchley on a SN train!) of £9.85 return to Flitwick.
West has not been rebuilt yet towards Oxford, so we'll leave that out ;)
South I can get as far as Harrow and Wealdstone for £9.85 which isn't too bad, at least can get me to the Tube!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm not sure whether I have been doing this right, but I don't seem to have a lot of choice from Newport (South Wales).

Including my season ticket to Cardiff, I can get to Maesteg (£7.90) or Swansea (£9.30).

Going the other way, I can get to Pontypool (£5.10) and Lydney (£8.00); sadly, Abergavenny is just outside the price limit, being £10.30!

Established Member
Not counting my PRIV or Govia staff pass (how far can I get from Liverpool for £10 on a Priv? ;) )...

With my 16-25 railcard Leighton Buzzard to Northampton is £8.60 CDR (Long Buckby £10.45!) so that's as far as I can go north!
Eastwards is good, with a fare surprisingly set by Thameslink and Great Northern even though they only price one stop of it (possibly 2 if you include LBZ - Bletchley on a SN train!) of £9.85 return to Flitwick.
West has not been rebuilt yet towards Oxford, so we'll leave that out ;)
South I can get as far as Harrow and Wealdstone for £9.85 which isn't too bad, at least can get me to the Tube!
You can get from Preston to Glasgow for £10 with Priv! £3.35 for a return to Preston from Liverpool though...

Tell the guard that you thought 319s were Govia trains lol

alex17595

From Burton on Trent

North - Matlock (£9.30) 28 Miles 13ch
South- The only 3 station you can get to are Tamworth/Lichfield Trent Valley/Wilnecote (£6.30)

Thats cross country pricing for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.