• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HoW fare strangeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Anyone know why, when doing Knighton to Llangennech, a CDR is way more expensive than a SDR? The route to be taken is the HoW, but this is the first time I've known a CDR to be more than a SDR!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone know why, when doing Knighton to Llangennech, a CDR is way more expensive than a SDR? The route to be taken is the HoW, but this is the first time I've known a CDR to be more than a SDR!
The short answer: it isn't!

The long answer:

Route 'Any permitted' fares are available as SVR, SDR, and SDS. All valid on any train.

Route 'Llandovery' fares are significantly more expensive, apart from the Saver which is only marginal. However there is an additional CDR.

Presumably going via Llandovery is not normally permitted as it's a long way round?

You are comparing a CDR for a more expensive route with a SDR for a cheaper route.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hold on, Knighton to Llangennech, via the HoW, DOES go via Llandovery (it's on the damn HoW!)...

My Mum made this journey last week, after I found the SDR of £9.20 for her on the FGW site. Outward via HoW, return via same way. No chance of going via the Marches, it would take an eternity. She asked for her fare on the train (no ticket office at Knighton), with the TM offering her a CDR at £12-something. To which she rightly replied 'no, it's £9-something'. At which point the TM finds the SDR fare and issues her that.

Which is what I was going on about. The SDR is certainly the correct ticket on the 0612 from Knighton, but on the 0957 a CDR should be available and in the region of £8. But no.

The SDR is Any Permitted, but the CDR is Route Llandovery and is considerably more (I checked with last year's Advantix the day before she went). Which I can't understand.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have now looked up these long named places that I've never heard of and you are, of course, correct!

Very wierd anomaly. No doubt the nice *cough* people at ATOC will fix it by getting rid of the cheaper fare....:roll:

I suggest writing to ATW first, and then to Passenger Focus (or whatever name they call themselves these days) if you get no luck with ATW, and ask them to withdraw the higher price ticket.

You have to hope that "simplification" won't get rid of the cheaper fares :|

Status
Not open for further replies.