• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How fast can a Class 185 run on 1 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

darylyates17

I am currently on a TPE Class 185 on the ECML I couldn’t help but notice a lack of acceleration from Durham it took about 8 mins to get too around 95mph,(it Might have been a little bit quicker but I can’t remember exactly) I know that the Power of the 185s should get it to that speed very quickly normally was it running on 1 engine? it has got me wondering how fast can a 185 go on 1 engine?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

Northbound or Southbound?

Southbound it’s a significant incline up to Relly Mill, which used to need bankers in times past, caused Blue Peter to throw her conrods in 1994 and sees Class 91s sanding like crazy on departure these days to slither slowly out.

It’s double track immediately to the North and South and, in the current timetables, there’s usually something nearby that’s running a bit behind.

185s tend to arrive into Durham on two engines from personal observation, igniting the third during the platform dwell and sending up more clag than a new Pope gets.

TPE services also have a habit, anecdotally, of losing time on clear ECML runs (and also, recently, of being self-dispatched early).

None of which answers the question about top speed on one engine, but may explain your slow start.

bengley

Established Member
1 engine is normally out of service ASAP. You'll be lucky to get to 50mph in most places. You probably had a unit with 2 engines with one of the two performing poorly.

darylyates17

1 engine is normally out of service ASAP. You'll be lucky to get to 50mph in most places. You probably had a unit with 2 engines with one of the two performing poorly.
That appears to be the case when I got off at Lea Green 2 engines were running but it was gutless as when it left Newton Le Willows it took nearly 2 mins to get up to 60 when normally it’s just over a minute, ether way something wasn’t right as it was gutless and it was 20 mins late when I got off. The display at Lea Green said it was because of a broken windscreen but it looked fine when I got on it at Durham, 185109 was the set if anyone is wondering.

Plethora

My understanding is that 185s will usually run on "eco" for large stretches of their services unless they are late, which I believe either involves fewer engines or a lower power use by those running. In such circumstances it is to be anticipated that they will accelerate slower than they are technically capable of. You've not said whether the service was running late at all.

54109 currently has a poorly engine so that unit should be running on two until its stopped for replacement (assuming it's not already had one). It's possible that the charge air radiator on another car has become clogged causing high temps and has affected performance. Needs a visit to the underframe wash if so.

A concern about one engine running in this weather we've been having is the lack of HVAC performance as only one alternator is supplying the train and the saloon temps rise.

Last edited:

Ben Bow

As mentioned, one Achilles heel of the 185's is the engine cooling system, particularly the radiators, and overheating when under full load is commonplace. Obviously, if one engine is isolated, the remaining two engines will be working harder thus exacerbating the problem. But southbound from Durham, a 185 with two engines in good order won't make a 'ton' until the dip approaching Tursdale, bearing in mind there is a 90 restriction at Croxdale.
On level track with one engine 90mph is possible, but it would take much longer than usual to get there.

markindurham

Southbound it’s a significant incline up to Relly Mill, which used to need bankers in times past, caused Blue Peter to throw her conrods in 1994
Mm, there was a bit more to it than just the gradient - a lot more - especially as there is a cracking video about of Tornado lifting 13 away from a southbound Durham stop without a hint of a slip, and in theory she should be slightly less 'sure footed' than Blue Peter, as her driving wheels are 6" bigger...

But yes, it's a significant climb to Relly Mill. It still remains a challenge, as you say, even with modern traction/stock.

As mentioned, one Achilles heel of the 185's is the engine cooling system, particularly the radiators, and overheating when under full load is commonplace. Obviously, if one engine is isolated, the remaining two engines will be working harder thus exacerbating the problem. But southbound from Durham, a 185 with two engines in good order won't make a 'ton' until the dip approaching Tursdale, bearing in mind there is a 90 restriction at Croxdale.
On level track with one engine 90mph is possible, but it would take much longer than usual to get there.

It's not just 185s to be fair, anything with underframe mounted radiators that draw air in laterally are at risk of becoming blocked over time. This can and has happened to EMUs too (transformer coolers for example) and road-going vehicles such as buses and coaches.

185 cooling system in generally effective though. The radiators in particular get cleaned periodically but can become a problem during certain times the year. It's a case of monitoring the temps across the fleet and getting the units back to the depot for cleaning.

bengley

Established Member
My understanding is that 185s will usually run on "eco" for large stretches of their services unless they are late, which I believe either involves fewer engines or a lower power use by those running. In such circumstances it is to be anticipated that they will accelerate slower than they are technically capable of. You've not said whether the service was running late at all.
90% of drivers (me included) run with eco off at all times. The units are painfully slow to get going from a stand with 2 engines with any sort of uphill gradient. They shut an engine down if you use speed set for more than a couple of minutes which is quite common on longer stretches, the ECML up that way being one.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My understanding is that 185s will usually run on "eco" for large stretches of their services unless they are late, which I believe either involves fewer engines or a lower power use by those running.

Switches out one engine at a time in rotation.

Ben Bow

The 185 will shut down one engine 3 minutes after being placed in speed set, during this time the engine to be shut down will not power and remain at idle. If the engine is restarted at the next stop the sequence to shut down is 54-53-51 cars, then back to the 54.
As I have been told, the installation of the radiators - two radiators in series with a narrow gap between, does contribute to the overheating problem. It is difficult to thoroughly clean in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.