• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How good do YOU think MSTS is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
HOw good do YOU think MSTS is?

I played it last week at someone elses house, & thought it was good, what do you think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
LOL i wonder whos house that was jim. Since you played it oi have 3 new 31s a few 47s and a few kettles. does this call for another visit jim??
I think its ok providing you have the PC to run the graphicsa t full. other wise it looks rubbish.

Gareth Hale

It is fantastic, one of the best trains sims you will come across today, although the new one they are making will be a lot better. I actually perfer it to a lot of train games.

Angus

Well the original game itself is very poor (compared to BVE anyway), but like Flight Simulator it can be made extremely realistic if you use high quality add-ons.

Coxster

Established Member
Angus said:
Well the original game itself is very poor (compared to BVE anyway), but like Flight Simulator it can be made extremely realistic if you use high quality add-ons.
Indeed. Look at the L&PSR thread. That route is free, yet has practically all photo-realistic textures, ropes on the cliff railway, moving vlouds and even moving shadows!

class 313

Established Member
i think it still needs work eg better detail on trains... also more detail in cab as bve does, also doors actully open next time? i found that anoying as it takes away the rerlism.

Coxster

Established Member
The doors do open on some trains, but you have to choose a side or open both when building the train as there is no selection button. To do this, you also have to have to forget about the pantograph etc and it comes under the same thing. Also, remember it is 2001 software, as opposed to BVE4 which was released earlier this year. It's also far easier to issue patches for BVE as it's free and people have to have to have the internet for it anyway to get the program, never mind any patches!

class 313

Established Member
on msts ive never came across a train wich the doors open... anyone know were i can get a train that does? but the mod for msts i have is L2B without the addpack :(

Coxster

Established Member
class 313 said:
on msts ive never came across a train wich the doors open... anyone know were i can get a train that does? but the mod for msts i have is L2B without the addpack :(
I'll find one that does later but raising and lowering the pick-up shoes on the D-Stock from UKTrainSim.com gives off a door sound.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Coxster said:
class 313 said:
I'll find one that does later but raising and lowering the pick-up shoes on the D-Stock from UKTrainSim.com gives off a door sound.

Would add some realism to the simulation. Also, it would be better if MSTS had static figures of people standing on station platforms, which I've noticed at the odd station. It's weird pulling up to Preston on NWE, and seeing an empty platform..

The only model I've seen that opens the doors is a tram- the Metrolink 1001, when you lower the pantograph (even if your going at 30 mph) .

Also, I know it sounds stupid, but I've also wondered how other people acclerate away from stations. I personally (based on Uk train sim's 221101, with the awful kiha sounds, but brilliant cab & horn..) set the throttle to notch 2 (50%), and as I exit the station, increase to notch 3 & 4. (75%/100% throttle).

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
I personally think MSTS is brilliant compared to TRS, which is pure rubbish activity and exploration wise. I have about 5 add-on routes and they're simply brill, though the default stuff leaves a lot to be desired!
3 of the best add-ons I have are:
1. West Somerset Railway
2. London & South East
3. Woking-Basingstoke

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Aureol said:
I personally think MSTS is brilliant compared to TRS, which is pure rubbish activity and exploration wise. I have about 5 add-on routes and they're simply brill, though the default stuff leaves a lot to be desired!
3 of the best add-ons I have are:
1. West Somerset Railway
2. London & South East
3. Woking-Basingstoke

I'm afraid I can't comment on those add-ons, because I've not had any of the 3....

I have however had: London to Brighton, (good)
Brighton to Portsmouth, (found this rubbish/boring)
London to Penzance- (Great, but it's mysteriously dissapeared from my routes list! :( <(
The NWE add-on- (my favourite add-on, it's just really good :D- No surprises seeing I come from & Live in the NW..)
Kassel to Fulda- (VERY boring after 2 or 3 goes..)
Thames Mersey- (Excellent, has good potential, but I might un install it in a week, simply because It takes up soooooooo much space.)
I've also had one or two others that I can't remember the names of, but I personally found the default routes "below average". The most annoying IMO is the "North East corridor".

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I actually thought North East Corridor was one of the most interesting default routes, but I agree, all were below par. Settle-Carlisle being the most disappointing.

One of my favourites is still Mideast UK, despite its age. It has a huge possible activity range, and although the buildings are not all custom, it still has a high accuracy level. NWE is also an excellent route, though because of its size, it can be difficult to run at decent frame rates.

If only MSTS had some of the features of BVE, such as AWS. This would make it an excellent sim. However, the problems with the game crashing do get pretty annoying :roll: ;)

Coxster

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
Coxster said:
class 313 said:

Would add some realism to the simulation. Also, it would be better if MSTS had static figures of people standing on station platforms, which I've noticed at the odd station. It's weird pulling up to Preston on NWE, and seeing an empty platform..

Also, I know it sounds stupid, but I've also wondered how other people acclerate away from stations. I personally (based on Uk train sim's 221101, with the awful kiha sounds, but brilliant cab & horn..) set the throttle to notch 2 (50%), and as I exit the station, increase to notch 3 & 4. (75%/100% throttle).
Many routes do have people. As for the sounds/cabs, change them. There is a guide on my website.

Muppet

in a hst what i do is:

1) Apply Power with brake on then take power off
2) Release Brakes
3) add two power notches
4) as i start to move move up a notch
5) when leaving station open full

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Rhys said:
in a hst what i do is:

1) Apply Power with brake on then take power off
2) Release Brakes
3) add two power notches
4) as i start to move move up a notch
5) when leaving station open full

I've just driven on the Scottish Central this afternoon between Kirkcaldy & Edinburgh, with 2 class 60's hauling a 6-car HST. :D

When I arrived in Waverley, I arrived in platform 12, and decided to reverse my train into platform 11, because I had used the points going around no 11 accidently.

I then decided to uncouple & drive the 2 60's with the leading class 43, went onto the adjacent track, reversed, uncoupled the 43, and put the 2nd class 60 onto the front of the HST. (which now consisted of a 60, 6 MK3s, and an HST power car on the rear.)

After that, (with my 60) I coupled up to the lonely 43, and took it to the depot at the end of the station that doesn't lead towards Haymarket.

Personally, when driving an HST, I actually do a very similar thing to what you do, but I often rev the engine on around 25-50% throttle, and then release brakes , and raise throttle as I move at around 5-10 mph.

On MSTS, I've noticed that I rarely do activities, & normally just use the "explore route" setting.

The Snap

Established Member
Angus said:

I can't agree more, however, I feel BVE4 is much easier to use, and has more features (ie: safety systems). However, the fact that you can choose different views is a good thing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.