• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How HSTs are 'forgotten' in most enthusiast minds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simming

A Simple Quiz for you...

1) your favortie band is playing in Maidenhead (probley the paxman twins where joe is concerned ;) ), there is also a HST on the 1805 departure from the station, where do you go?

2) your girlfriend arrives for a bit of nookie, but again, there is a HST on the 1805 departure, where do you go?

3) you arrive at paddington, and very nice women asks "do you want some fun?" what do you do? stay and watch HSTs or go with her?

4)a unit pulls up. Free Beer. and a HST pulls up beside, both heading your direction, getting there at the same time, which one do you choose?

5) next day a 2 trains pull up, and the HST has a sign on it saying "Gays Only" and a Unit pulls up "free, hetrosexual pole dancing for all" which one will you choose?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jdjonnay

Simming said:
A Simple Quiz for you...

1) your favortie band is playing in Maidenhead (probley the paxman twins where joe is concerned ;) ), there is also a HST on the 1805 departure from the station, where do you go?
The HST, duh.

Simming said:
2) your girlfriend arrives for a bit of nookie, but again, there is a HST on the 1805 departure, where do you go?
Well having lead a life totally devoted to HSTs, I naturally dont have time to see anyone who isn't a tram ned. Therefore work my choice out yourself

Simming said:
3) you arrive at paddington, and very nice women asks "do you want some fun?" what do you do? stay and watch HSTs or go with her?
I'd invite her to watch HSTs with me - if that isn't fun, I don't know what is. Maybe sticking pins in my eyes.

Simming said:
4)a unit pulls up. Free Beer. and a HST pulls up beside, both heading your direction, getting there at the same time, which one do you choose?
The sheer smell of the HST clag is better than any alcoholic beverage

Simming said:
5) next day a 2 trains pull up, and the HST has a sign on it saying "Gays Only" and a Unit pulls up "free, hetrosexual pole dancing for all" which one will you choose?
The HST, I'd be doing heads out anyway, and I doubt if any of the gays would be hardcore enough to endulge in some tram bashing.

Of course this is sarcasm. I personally think that the main reason HSTs have such a following is because a lot of the fans haven't been alive long enough to actually remember the 37s in their last few years, etc.

Either that or they were dropped on their heads at birth, and have a strange attraction to HSTs, like some of the foamers who insist on telling you what HST is leaving London Paddington on 1a62 on the 14th september, and what way round the stock will be formed. Stoating neds.

Jon

T

Tom

joeholmes said:
Yeah, Here Here, HSTs going out of Waterloo.

The only time we ever get that is when there is engineering works near paddington

However in saying that there is no point really, because with clearance etc the average speed she'll go there is 29 1/2 mph.....

But it still would be coooool though.

Joe

29.5 mph is still pretty good... ;)

1288gaje said:
cough,cough
via the West London Line? :)

Most engineering works are at Slough or that area 1288gaje, so how can it get on the WLL?

joeholmes

Okee Dokey..

1) your favortie band is playing in Maidenhead (probley the paxman twins where joe is concerned ), there is also a HST on the 1805 departure from the station, where do you go?
Departing Maidenhead..... Ill get the HST .... i thank you.

The Girlfriend this time atcually..

Im Not desperate... HST For me thanks

HST regardless thank you

People call me queer, and i find gays very ammusing, so id go on the HST.. However my head will be out the window for the Duration BTW HST Wins

HST Woot Woot[/i]

T

Tom

The vital question.

All HSTs are out and about and they can't get in Paddington. No other HSTs can get to London.

However, many DMUs are in Paddington, do you go for a DMU or wait overnight for the HST?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
joeholmes said:
People call me queer, and i find gays very ammusing, so id go on the HST.. However my head will be out the window for the Duration BTW HST Wins

Wow, thats the nicest thing I've heard all day! Even if you did spell it wrong :P :lol:

Nick

joeholmes said:
The Girlfriend this time atcually..

You sure the answer wouldn't be different in real life...go on, clagtastic shows await on the 1805 ;)

jdjonnay

joeholmes said:

And whilst you're bending out the window.... :shock:

:lol: Jokes...

Jon

Julian G

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
joeholmes said:
Yeah, Here Here, HSTs going out of Waterloo.

The only time we ever get that is when there is engineering works near paddington

However in saying that there is no point really, because with clearance etc the average speed she'll go there is 29 1/2 mph.....

But it still would be coooool though.

Joe

29.5 mph is still pretty good... ;)

1288gaje said:
cough,cough

Most engineering works are at Slough or that area 1288gaje, so how can it get on the WLL?

and how do they get from Old Oak Common to London Waterloo ;)
they go to Acton MainLine and reverse there
they go up to the North London Line and up to West London Junction where they will join the WLL and speed up to 50mph and then follow the paths of the Eurostars up to International Junction

T

Tom

*as I said*

How do you get from Old Oak Common to Waterloo if there are engineering works everywhere?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Right, let's lay down the 4-1-1 on the subject of HSTs and my personal fanship of them:

First of all, I will say that I have sampled a lot of classes of locos, these being 31s, 37s, 47s, 57s, 87s, 90s and 91s. These being ones I've ridden with. HSTs of course I've ridden with so many times I've honestly lost count. Of course, I've seen the delights of things such as 52s, 56s, 60s, 66s (delight, 66, maybe not), etc. Out of all those, my favourite rests with 37s after HSTs. 60s being my favourite freight locos of course.

Now we've established I'm not a 100% HST nut (if there's rare loco haulage, I'll always try to do it), let's also lay down the fact that I would NOT do things such as kissing 43s, etc. That's just stupid. There's a line between being a die-hard HST fan and being a plonker. I'm on the fan side of it thankfully.

At this point, I'd also like to say that while I'll go anywhere on a HST, I'd also choose loco haulage if it meant not getting a bog unit. However, this choice was not taken up on Saturday when it should have been, but hey, too late. Stupid buggers causing the fatality, made me miss the 57s to Paignton.

It is well known that HSTs are fairly common. Heck, even I get a LITTLE tired of HSTs if I'm spending a long time at Reading. Once you've seen them all, and nearly all the carriage stock as well...Currently trying to ride in each carriage and behind each 43 on the HSTs. That's how much I ride HSTs, to the extent I can say I've ridden in around 55 different FGW HST carriages and ridden behind something like 57 FGW 43s!

It should be noted too that, like all stock withdrawals, it will get followed a lot before the end. 37s and 47s are the current ones diesel-wise to be chased, as are 31s to an extent. 86s and 87s, even some 90s, too. Of course, this will continue with the HSTs. 10 years from now, I'd wager most people here will start chasing HSTs as much as possible. As a HST fan, I'm already racking up mileage by the truckload for each 43. Bit difficult to do with the MML and GNER ones, but I'm slowly getting there. I'll have done thousands behind most of them before the die-hard fans of other locos start chasing the HSTs.

One thing about HSTs for me is that they always resemble a trip worth taking. A bog unit does not resemble that. Those instead resemble a trip you have to make, like it or not. HSTs stand proud in the platforms here, whereas you've got the bog units hiding at the back. If we had daily 37s or 47s out of Swansea to, say, Milford Haven, you can be sure I'd want to do those as well. The sound of a 37 at Swansea, mmm.

Which leads me onto my next point. The sounds. HSTs are famous for their sounds. The scream and throb of a HST passing through Didcot Parkway is hard to beat. Indeed, a nice, moderate bit of clag from a 43 from a standing start is always nice. You HAD to be there to sample the clag from 43003 late-ish last year on the 0328, THE best clag I've seen from a 43 ever. Seriously!

Next, to answer Simming's 5-question post:

1) As I don't like bands much at all, I'd go for the 1805 TBH. Go somewhere more fun. Take it to, say, Reading for a spot of number crunching then off to the pub (or go further and have a Strongbow on the way - alcohol and HSTs, THE combination to have at DP! That gives me an idea for 2006...)

2) The answer is obvious...Take the girl upstairs! Do a bit of different riding... :D

3) You mean a prossy? Would have to turn her down TBH.

4) Tough choice. If I were driving the other end, or going to work, it would HAVE to be the HST, it would be too tempting otherwise. That said, you'd probably have drunks on the bog unit too, what with the free beer. If not working or driving at the other end, it would PROBABLY be the bog unit in that case. If a long trip (60 minutes or more), it would be the HST.

5) Again, the choice is obvious. The bog unit would have to be taken on that occasion! Would have to ensure my camera was out...!

Bit of a tie there really. HST wins in some cases, others not so.

Anyway, let's make another point before I dash off for some sleep and some pleasant memories from the FoSW:

HSTs are great. So are locos. However, my die-hard fanship of HSTs would never take me to saying HSTs are sexy (Nick, btw, that linked pic was sexy. Not sure which one I'd go for, blonde probably ;) ) or kissing the 43s, or anything. Photting them, yes. Videoing, yes. Calling a HST a beast (which I do a fair bit), maybe (this being when the clag and sound is beyond belief mainly). Calling a HST 'her' or 'she', no.

So my point basically is my HST fanship will never die as such. Once I've seen everything and done all the lines in the UK, though, I'll concentrate on the rest of life. I'll still keeping my 2005 book, notes, maps, etc, but these would be put into storage. I'd still stay on the forums, etc, just not as much, enough to keep up to date though. However, locos will never beat HSTs for me. I could never turn around and convert to a 37 fan, as much as I like them.

That's my piece from me for now. I'm off for some well-needed sleep before heading back to work.

David

Established Member
Simming said:
A Simple Quiz for you...

1. The band.

2. The girlfriend (for obvious reasons ;) )

3. If she is a prossie, no, it will be HST's. Otherwise a bit of fun.

4. Beer...... (those who have met me will understand) :lol:

5. Pole Dancing. :D

In all seriousness. Yes I do like HST's (1 of the very few trains you can do H-O), but I'm not obsessed by them, and as you can tell from my answers, I like other things as well. ;) :lol:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Well the GCR's Class 31 is nicknamed the 'Flying Turd', good runner though, had a Cab Ride in it from Leicester-Loughborough, it's Mascot is a Panda IIRC.

RJ

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
1288gaje said:
cough,cough

How does a Voyager gets to Reading leaving Kensington Olympia-backwards? Via Richmond?

Julian G

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
*as I said*

How do you get from Old Oak Common to Waterloo if there are engineering works everywhere?
by lorry of course ;)

Voyager to Reading backwards :?
difficult question
joea1 do you have a video of the Voyager going backwards? :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
One thing I've thought of is while HSTs are 'common' in most people's opinions, so were the 37s and 47s. Tons of them about.

Having ridden behind 47839 last Saturday (implusive decision that!), I can safely say I would prefer a 43 or 37 any day. 47s and HSTs may be both from Brush (IIRC), but the 43 sounds and sights are far more impressive to me.

I guess the other major thing for me is 43s can do 125mph. Yes, so can Voyagers, Meridians and Pioneers, as well as 91s. However, I have as much interest in those as I do in an 08. Although 08847 clagged big-style in Norwich! Best shunting action I've ever seen! :D Point is, the locos can't do that (these locos I refer to being ones that everyone else prefers like 37s and 47s), HSTs can. Riding behind 43148 from BTM to Chippenham recently, Sprinter and I both agreed it was an awesome trip from Bath (once we got the bog unit in front out of the way at Bathampton Junction), this being partly due to the fact we hit 125mph for some time, which is exhilarating! H-O at that speed becomes difficult!

AlexS

Established Member
Impossible more like. If a piece of ballast off the track gets flicked up and hits you in the face at a combined speed (it's going backwards towards you) of 250 mph, it will kill you.

As for 47s, you have some examples that are really great machines, and some that aren't. C'est la vie.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's extremely exhilarating. But yes, a loose piece of ballast could f**k you up easily. Hence whilst it's extremely exhilarating, it's also extremely dangerous.

I've now done H-O twice at that speed, but I have no real intention of doing it again soon. While it was a big rush, certainly more exciting than getting Employee of the Month (well, nearly), I think getting the latter would be good to aim for more often.

That said, the ECML is 125 in parts...

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
As a HST fan.... ok theres no reason to get really big into HST's like a lot of people do loco's at current but then again I quote "which BR operates in its 'Inter-City 125' service to achieve timetable frequencies and average speeds surpassed only by Japan's purpose-built Shinkansen electric high-speed lines at the start of the 1980's" old data yes but still only really beaten by the likes of class 373, TGV and Shinkansen. it has been also known for a HST to eclipse the fastest regular Japanese Shinkansen schedule, doing 94miles from Paddington to Chippenham in 50.5mins without exceeding 125mph using a standard HST set.
I've spoken to many people who have no interest what so ever in trains but mention an Intercity 125 and they know what you're talking about - HST's revolutionized rail travel and brought back many people to using the railway. Had the HST not been introduced who knows what the shape of the railways would be today. And come on everyone - voyager or HST? I know which I'd rather and I'm not even a proper enthusiast

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Too damn right! My RGM at work only knows them as InterCity 125s, but hey.

Most 'norms' know what an InterCity 125 is. You ask them of an opinion on Voyagers or Pendodildos, they won't have a clue what you mean.

'What are we getting to London?'
'InterCity 125'
'Nice'

'What are we getting to York?'
'Turbostar to New Street, Voyager to York from there'
'Eh?'
'Central Trains and Virgin Trains'
'Will we get to ride in a new train?'
'Yes'
'Good. I don't want any old trains'
'I personally would prefer an older train'
'Why's that?'

Discussion ensues then with 'norms' that don't understand why the LHCS is much better than Voyagers and Pendodildos...

Point is that HSTs really did revolutionise rail travel back then, they still do now to an extent. They will always attract infrequent rail travellers or new ones, whereas bog units will never do that.

Nick

I find the majority of train enthusiasts are very snobbish when it comes to new trains.

The problem with the railway is 99% of the users (probably less) are the public and a measly percentage are Rail Enthusiasts. If you ask a member of the public if they want to go on a slam door or an Electrostar, they'll choose Electrostar. The same with all 1960's diesel multiple units, if you ask what the public wants...a 101 or a 156 you'll find people want 156s! My point being the public like new trains, it improves the railways image and makes more passengers travel by rail.

I have nothing against new units, and I dislike the stereotypical attitude of some ethusiasts that 'plastic is crap'. I like Turbostars, I'm proud of that, ut I also like 156s, Steam Trains and Peaks.

Why narrow your train enthusiasm to just one type of train?

Tom B

Established Member
Heads out at 125mph! Jeez, that would be... interesting! The max I've done is 85-90ish between Doncaster and York on a Mk1 hauled by a 66.

Tom B

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
A 66's maximum speed is 75MPH :?

Must have been that then. The figure was a guess, but it was bloody fast!!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
i've done H-O at between 100-125mph, freakishly scary!

On with Nick's comments, I personally have nothing against new stock myself its just some things about new stock don't quite live up to the HST and you can also see why, for example the original HST was built to replace the blue pullmans as well as using some of the technology developed during the APT program.... These companies like Bombardier and Alstom don't put years of research etc into building say the voyagers. If the voyagers had comfier seats then in my opinion they would be brilliant trains - in fact they are brilliant trains, for me though the seating lets it down. I have no idea about whether Bombardier built on the mistakes from the voyager with the Meridians as I have yet to ride one but when it comes to travelling I'd rather a HST to a bog or a pacer any day, even if it means a 10minute voyager ride to finish the full journey from Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads, which I could safely say I would rather do that than a 150/2 or a pacer all the way to Bristol Temple Meads.
At the end of the day if not enough people liked HST's would people use them? and if they didn't use them surely the TOC's would want to find out why they're not using them and then see how to deal with it.
On the other hand most normals couldn't care less as long as it was a train.
If famous enthusiasts like Pete Waterman are fans of HST's for surely that is just showing a minority of the HST followers... you see the arguments day in day out around members like me, FGWfan and Joe Holmes all arguing who is the biggest HSTfan but at the end of it all... who cares, we all share a common interest in one of the best (imho) trains ever developed

Cockfosters said:
Must have been that then. The figure was a guess, but it was bloody fast!!
They do appear quite fast when they storm through stations I must say!

Tom B

Established Member
Thing is, Bombardier or whoever get the contract to build a train, they spend as little as possible (witness exporting to the continent) so they can make as much profit as possible. Then the TOC gets the train and if it's unreliable or the seats are rubbish it's their problem. Whereas with BR they built the trains and they also had to run them, so they worked at making them as good as possible.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good point Cockfosters (crikey that name springs some very freakish images in my head! Trust me when I say you wouldn't want to know!). They flew through the Electrostars really!

HSTfan!!! is certainly right when he says himself, joeholmes and I have arguments about who the biggest HST fan is out of us three. It is good fun arguing it though, bit of friendly banter mainly. HSTfan!!! have pretty much given up arguing it, we've allocated around half of South Wales to each of us for areas in which we're the biggest HST fan. How it works when both of us are in Newport I'm not entirely sure...Think we should split the station into two, I'll be the biggest HST fan on the west of it, he on the east end of it! Certainly I can say I'm more dedicated to chasing HSTs around the country!

H-O behind a 66 though, Cockfosters? That must have been boring: 'Ying-ying-ying-ying-ying-ying-ying-yinnnnnng.....' *Falls asleep thinking about it* Different though! I must say, H-O in the rain is about 4 times more difficult than normal H-O! The rain does sting a bit! *Just hopes it doesn't rain between Newton Abbot and Paignton in the afternoon, or that the Volo:TV carriage isn't on the set, watching Thunderbirds otherwise!*

Anyway, I'm diverting from the topic here. The case for HSTs and enthusiasts isn't going to settle until the last year or few months of their operation. I can see people that currently don't like HSTs moping about having not done the HSTs when they were still running. 'The last decent train to run in the country, and I missed them!' or something along those lines (no pun intended) I'm wagering on hearing in 10 years time. 'Told you so' will be my reply, followed with a line like 'I've been a HST fan for 12 years, your fault you didn't appreciate them when they were still out'

Oh, and before I finish, I WILL happily ride a Voyager from BPW to BRI if necessary. Heck, I did one from BPW to Paignton last week! The seat got more comfy as time went on. I'm less happy about bogging it though. Have done it on 158746 before now though. Naturally I'd prefer a HST, but that doesn't exactly happen much with FGW on the BPW to BRI route. Did do it once though. I would do a Voyager on the S+C too, so long as it was non-stop all the way to Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.