• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How HSTs are 'forgotten' in most enthusiast minds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Wouldn't heads out at 100+ mph break your neck if another train going the other way blew past you? Also, I'm sure that you cannot breathe if you are travelling at over 70mph with no equipment, hence one reason why motorcyclists use helmets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
joeholmes said:
The HST in a marvell in engineering, a mighty fine beast, which is definatly noticed...
surely they are
a DVT and DBSO can be a marvell in engineering for saving time on turn=around

bunnahabhain

Established Member
joea1 said:
Wouldn't heads out at 100+ mph break your neck if another train going the other way blew past you? Also, I'm sure that you cannot breathe if you are travelling at over 70mph with no equipment, hence one reason why motorcyclists use helmets?

They wear the helmets so they dont break their skulls if they crash their bikes, and so they can see the road ahead.

And no Motorcycle should be travelling over 70mph in the UK ;)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Well that's rather different, those people probably like breaking their bones by racing on two wheels at 150mph+.

Bloody lunatics.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
joea1 said:

Well I and many others manage to breathe at over 70mph with our own lungs...... Air turbulence must work miracles for me if not for you..... :?

Anyway I thought the only reason for 'crash' helmets was so you didn't suffer brain damage etc if you have an accident.... and what about open helmets without a visor thing.... you breathe as normal as all of your face is open to the air. :roll:

jdjonnay

HSTfan!!! said:
i've done H-O at between 100-125mph

Why? :?

joea1 said:

LMAO!!

You wear my lid for half an hour and see if it helps you to breath :lol: It does the exact opposite, it just stops you spilling your brains over the road if you have an off.

Jamie C. Steel said:
Well that's rather different, those people probably like breaking their bones by racing on two wheels at 150mph+

Nowt wrong with a bit of track racing, I've taken a derbi out before.... not saying where or how fast though, because umm... well... I might get the fuzz round knocking :lol: If hanging out of a train window is exciting, imagine the thrill of being held down by 2 wheels on a machine capable of 110 with ease.

(No I didn't take it up that fast, I chickened out before double digits :P )

Jon

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jdjonny said:
(No I didn't take it up that fast, I chickened out before double digits :P )

You mean you only got to 9mph :P

please can i condeme heads out, under no circumstances this should be done. If anything happened it would cause alot of distress, especially to the person who has to to take away your decapitated body

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You'd never get me on a motorcycle at any speed let alone the speeds quoted here.

I'll stick to a bicycle and trains thanks :D

Julian G

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
please can i condeme heads out, under no circumstances this should be done. If anything happened it would cause alot of distress, especially to the person who has to to take away your decapitated body
i did heads out for 1 hour and a half!! :)
and everybody did that in Cologne

Guinness

Established Member
Let me give you the definition of HST - High Speed Train (A Train that goes at 100mph+*)

Class 43
Class 55
Class 67
Class 86/87/90
Class 91
Class 170/171
Class 180
Class 185
Class 220
Class 221
Class 222
Class 390

So next time I want to go on a HST I might go on a 90 or maybe a 170

*Anglia Railways called running 100mph trains High Speed

Nick

1288gaje said:

You don't read signs above your head for you safety then? :)
Heads Out is certainly naughty and I hope the conductor/ti finds you and tellls you off if your doing it cause it's probably illegal (well braking bylaws for sure). Signs on the railway are there for safety and no matter how 'confident' an enthusiast is, they should always respect railway staff and signs and not as so many do, and ignore them.

Shane raises a very good point btw.

Julian G

Established Member
Nick said:
1288gaje said:

Heads Out is certainly naughty and I hope the conductor/ti finds you and tellls you off if your doing it cause it's probably illegal (well braking bylaws for sure). Signs on the railway are there for safety and no matter how 'confident' an enthusiast is, they should always respect railway staff and signs and not as so many do, and ignore them.

everybody was doing on the Steam Charter even 4 year old kids
Here is one example and another one heads out
you really had to watch out for the bushes as they can really hurt you
and the steam train was running slow

no, it wasn't in a MK1 coach style but it was in a MK2 style with windows that you can pull down

Nick

1288gaje said:
Nick said:
1288gaje said:

everybody was doing on the Steam Charter even 4 year old kids
Here is one example and another one heads out
you really had to watch out for the bushes as they can really hurt you
and the steam train was running slow

no, it wasn't in a MK1 coach style but it was in a MK2 style with windows that you can pull down

Yes you push down Mark 1 coach doors too.
So you admit what you were doing was dangerous, no matter how many others do it your still a risk of being blinded by soot and debris and decapitation via lineside equipment.

Sprog

Established Member
I window hang quite often when if i need a picture of the leading loco etc. or when im 'number-crunching' so i get a better view of things in yards/depots etc.

I have only had one experiance that i'd call 'risky', where i had a near miss with an Adelante on the Didcot avoiding line.

I was on a 67 hauled charter returning from oxford, and passing Didcot Railway Centre, a group of children waved at me, so i gave a little wave back, when just out of the left corner of my eye, i saw the front of the unit appear from 'nowhere' (the avoiding line is quite a long heavy curve). Yanked my arm back in quickly! (never moved so fast in me life! :? ). Spooked me a little for the rest of the journey, but it has made me abit more cautious.

It is my understanding that 'Enthusiasts' are only a very small proportion of the people who get /injured/decapitated/killed by window hanging. it is mostly drunken chavs who think is funny to stick there mates head outve a HST at 125mph. :? :shock: :( :(

T*Ts is all i have to say on that.....

That is the primary reason that they put window bars on most Mk.1 EMUs.

:idea: More window hanging pictures:

This is dropping down shap incline at 90mph! :shock: :? A pendolino on its way up to Scotland came flying past at 125 within about 20 seconds of this picture being taken....

Preston Stn, every open-able window had someone at it. Even the secondmans doing it :lol: :roll: ;)

Evidence of my window hanging antics...guilty as charged! :oops:

Nice picture though! :roll:

Observation quiz! Whats wrong with these two pictures :?: :?: (no Photoshop involved, i promise :? :D )

:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Guinness

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
I window hang quite often when if i need a picture of the leading loco etc. or when im 'number-crunching' so i get a better view of things in yards/depots etc.

I have only had one experiance that i'd call 'risky', where i had a near miss with an Adelante on the Didcot avoiding line.

I was on a 67 hauled charter returning from oxford, and passing Didcot Railway Centre, a group of children waved at me, so i gave a little wave back, when just out of the left corner of my eye, i saw the front of the unit appear from 'nowhere' (the avoiding line is quite a long heavy curve). Yanked my arm back in quickly! (never moved so fast in me life! :? ). Spooked me a little for the rest of the journey, but it has made me abit more cautious.

It is my understanding that 'Enthusiasts' are only a very small proportion of the people who get /injured/decapitated/killed by window hanging. it is mostly drunken chavs who think is funny to stick there mates head outve a HST at 125mph. :? :shock: :( :(

T*Ts is all i have to say on that.....

That is the primary reason that they put window bars on most Mk.1 EMUs.

:idea: More window hanging pictures:

This is dropping down shap incline at 90mph! :shock: :? A pendolino on its way up to Scotland came flying past at 125 within about 20 seconds of this picture being taken....

Preston Stn, every open-able window had someone at it. Even the secondmans doing it :lol: :roll: ;)

Evidence of my window hanging antics...guilty as charged! :oops:

Nice picture though! :roll:

Observation quiz! Whats wrong with these two pictures :?: :?: (no Photoshop involved, i promise :? :D )

:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Not the best of ideas.........

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I think you will find what the Secondman is doing there, is looking back to ensure that part of the Train is not left behind and nobody falls under the train, the Secondman should always look back to ensure nobody falls under the train etc, same as the Guard should always look along the train to do the same.

And for those who say that people playing Chicken on the line is stupid, illegal and dangerous.

Tell me how shoving your head out of a train window is any different for a driver of an oncoming train?

Sprog

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
I think you will find what the Secondman is doing there, is looking back to ensure that part of the Train is not left behind and nobody falls under the train, the Secondman should always look back to ensure nobody falls under the train etc, same as the Guard should always look along the train to do the same.

Thanks, i do know that..i was supposed to be a crack at a joke... hence the emotions..... ;) :)

:lol:, i know its not exactly a good habbit, but as long as your aware of your enviroment and have abit of common sense ( i know.....many people dont :( ) i think it is perfectly acceptable to do it.

Just my opinion...after all, ive still got my head.... :)

And i do know wot it is like for a driver when they have had a 'one-under'...ive talked to 3 drivers first hand and ive also, unfortunatly, witnessed a suicide at Stafford Station few years back...

bunnahabhain

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
:lol:, i know its not exactly a good habbit, but as long as your aware of your enviroment and have abit of common sense ( i know.....many people dont :( ) i think it is perfectly acceptable to do it.

So you think it's perfectly acceptable to break railway Byelaws by desregarding notices that explicitly tell you not to lean out the windows whilst the train is in motion, and would probably disregard a polite request not to do it when a member of the on-train staff asks you not to continue doing it?

It's not acceptable to break any railway byelaw, especially not one that is a danger to yourself, people around you, the train you are travelling on, and other trains in the vicinity.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I'm not being, I dont do heads out anymore unless my duty at the GCR requires me to do so, and that should in theory be only when I am doing the following roles, Guard, Travelling Ticket Inspector, Secondman, Driver.

Or to aid in the safe departure of the train (IE another pair of eyes for the Guard at the opposite end of the train).

Anyway, would you say it's perfectly acceptable to do heads out in a car at 70mph?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah yes of course I knew there'd be excuses!

TTI? Yeah you need to check for tickets out the window ;) :lol:

Look, we know you come on here to argue with enthusiasts. Why bother? :roll:

I hardly think any of us need to be lectured by you.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
yorkie said:
Ah yes of course I knew there'd be excuses!

It's actually quite useful when approaching stations to see who is getting on and off ;)

yorkie said:
Look, we know you come on here to argue with enthusiasts. Why bother? :roll:

I hardly think any of us need to be lectured by you.

Actually, it's a few things, known as debate, discussion and personal opinion. Jamie doesn't agree with people shoving their heads out of moving train windows. You don't agree with people who say you shouldn't do it.

And before we move on, if it's OK to disobey sign that tell you not to stick your head out of train windows, does that mean it is OK to walk along the railway line, disobeying the signs that tell you not to tresspass? I think not...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Marv, you are also part of the argumentative clique, IMO. :|

Jamie does heads-out, yet condemns others. If it's safe for him to do it because he knows how to be careful then it is safe for others to do it if they also know how to be careful.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
yorkie said:

No, to see if people get on the train, all the TTI's do it at the GCR so that they know where people get on, and they know what they look like so they can find them straight away and check, or sell them a ticket, we mostly do it when the Out-Stations are closed.

And why do I come on here to argue with "enthusiasts", I'm an Enthusiast and a Railwayman, if I wasnt an Enthusiast why would I volunteer my free time for the Great Central Railway?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Marv said:
yorkie said:
Marv, you are also part of the argumentative clique, IMO. :|
So I'm argumentitive just because I don't always share the same opinion as you?
No, because whenever Jamie is starting yet another argument you always jump in and have a go too. I'm sick of it.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Yorkie, I have been trained in the safe operation of a railway, I am going to start training as a Guard in January.

Do you call Guards on Slammers hypocrites because they tell you off for doing it, yet they do it themselves in Stations?

I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.