• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How HSTs are 'forgotten' in most enthusiast minds

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
I think most enthusiasts take the HST for granted. They are great machines, make a loud noise, clag and you can do heads out. I'm surprised there isn't much of a following.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Sorry Richard, have you been reading this forum (and in particular the postings by FGWFan, HSTFan!!!, Jim and joeholmes? ;) :P

Simming

you dont get a following for something thats as commen as a cold. and most people have easy access to them anyway, so its not like its rare to go "bashing" them.

Met Driver

Established Member
Good point, however most enthusiasts will always opt for a HST if it is a viable option (unless there's som loco haulage about ;) ). When they eventually start to be phased out, there'll be a mass exodus of even more enthusiasts to travel on them I'll bet.

Nick

The thing with HSTs is there not dying yet, and arn't quite Loco Haulage (in theory they're multiple units 253XXX Class). A proper thrash would be something good like a Peak, 31 or some steam :)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah Seth, that is exactly right. Virtually everybody on this forum really likes HSTs (some more than others ;) )

If GNER decided to withdraw all HSTs, I would definitely be up for some bashing :)

richa2002

Established Member
Yeah, recently I was on an FGW HST, we had a red light so we slowed down. We were going about 20MPH and then we got the yellow so the driver cautiously revved it up. Then when the driver saw the next signal was green. He gave it all it could give. The noise was fantastic!

Simming

Ive lived with trams for ages, use them at least once a week, and yes, I prefere them to we-suck and virgin trains, but I dont find that the things thrash, they just sream.

You wont find people going out of there way to bash them, until one or 2 years before they are withdrawn from service.

ps:
Virtually everybody on this forum really likes HSTs (some more than others :Wink: )

I dont ;)

pps:
A proper thrash would be something good like a Peak, 31 or some steam

I hope thats a typo where you said some kettles are thrashable? ;)

Nick

Simming said:
ps:
Virtually everybody on this forum really likes HSTs (some more than others :Wink: )

I dont ;)
Glad Im not alone, don't get me wrong, they're probably the only 'proper' trains left on the Network, but theres plenty of nice trains in preservation and railtours. I personally don't think HSTs are that good...just early DMUs tbh.

joeholmes

Excuse me... HSTs Are Forgotton in ethusitasts mind

URM... HELLO...

The HST in a marvell in engineering, a mighty fine beast, which is definatly noticed...

Even normals look when she comes round a corner,,

My God.... Sexy Beast She is..

Nick

joeholmes said:
URM... HELLO...

Aloha.

joeholmes said:
The HST in a marvell in engineering, a mighty fine beast, which is definatly noticed...

And the Channel Tunnel wasn't....compared to many engineering challengers tackled in modern time HSTs must be the smallest, the only why they'd get brownie points is cause they were made on a BR budget.

joeholmes said:
Even normals look when she comes round a corner

People look cause they assume it;s their train, or the fact that it's going so fast, as they do with say Meridians.

joeholmes said:
My God.... Sexy Beast She is..

You really need a woman.

tramboy

I don't mind the HST...but right now its not the be all and end all of modern traction! I notice them yes, but i also notice DEMUS, DMUS and the like. Personally my preference would be for a nice IC225 or 373 set!

The HST is not a bad project...but there are many other bigger engineering feats of our time.

Regards

Dave

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nick said:
The thing with HSTs is there not dying yet, and arn't quite Loco Haulage (in theory they're multiple units 253XXX Class). A proper thrash would be something good like a Peak, 31 or some steam :)
We've had this before, I'm sure.

It's difficult to define loco haulage, I guess technically if a loco is top n' tailed or if it's propelling with a DVT it's not loco haulage.

So that means top n tailed 47s, 31s, 37s aren't loco hauled, and neither is a 90/86/87 (or indeed any other loco) with a DVT at the front. ;)

joeholmes

1] I have a woman thank you..

2] i stick by my judge-ment of the HST..

I THANK YOU

Joe

Lewisham2221

Established Member
It's probably the deafening scream that forces you to notice them ;)

Whilst a HST screaming past through a station at speed is nice, there are other trains that I enjoy travelling on just as much or more.

Nick

yorkie said:
So that means top n tailed 47s, 31s, 37s aren't loco hauled, and neither is a 90/86/87 (or indeed any other loco) with a DVT at the front. ;)

If two 47s are top and tailing a service then the stock will be propelled by a locomotive in each direction of travel so that is loco haulage. But since a HST is a combined set with MKIII coaches, it is a multiple unit, not a loco hauled set.

AlexS

Established Member
A HST isn't really a class 43 and Mk3s you know. Officially, these days, at least after sectorisation, a HST is one of any of: Voyager, Class 43 + 125 rated trailer coaches, Class 91 and 125+ mph rated trailer coaches, Adelante and there's probably others such as 90+Mk2/3s.

A High Speed Train is used to differentiate between line speed limits. For example, you have red and white speed limit boards with

HST 90
--------

That means that any train defined as a High Speed Train is a HST.

A multiple unit is a self powered piece of rolling stock capable of working with other trains of a similar type.

A locomotive pulls coaches. Whether it has a helper on the back is irrelevent. A 43+Mk3s isn't even a semi permanent fixed formation, as Old Oak Common will tell you.

Intercity 125 HighSpeedTrain was the original brand name for the 43+Mk3 sets. This passed out of use after sectorisation. The locomotives on the sets have always been E/W43xxx.

Not to mention the fact that Class 43 locomotives have worked with Mk2s in the past, worked independantly of rolling stock, worked with loose formations and so on.

They are very much locomotives and stock trains.

jd

I'm more interested in getting on a MkII/III coach than being hauled by a HST. The fact is that a MkII/III coach, regardless of its traction, is about the only thing you can do heads out on near me, and they're only out 'cos the Voyagers are spontaneously catching fire. I don't care too much whether its being hauled by a HST, or a class 90, or whatever. Though, HSTs are good, I'm not saying I dislike them. And I'll probably be amongst the people descending on them when they are approaching withdrawal.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks Alex - point proven ;)

There are many HST[1] fans out there, but the fact there are many HSTs around and that they will be with us for at least another 10-15 years means that enthusiasts don't need to resort to desperate measures to see or travel on them.

On the other hand I have to travel hundreds of miles if I want to sample a Class 37, 47 or 31.

[1] Whenever I talk about HSTs I mean the original HST, not the definition for speed limits ;)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
AlexS said:
There was a time you would have been shot by fellow bashers for looking for 31 haulage ;) Brian was a no go loco back in the day!

And one day in the future, when the current stock is going for scrap and people are crying out against trains being replaced with 'inferior, plastic rubbish', somebody will probably make a very similar comment. ;)

Jim

Established Member
Marv said:
Sorry Richard, have you been reading this forum (and in particular the postings by FGWFan, HSTFan!!!, Jim and joeholmes? ;) :P

I do forget about them alot. I say to people "There is hardly any real trains left" They say;"What about HST's" I say "O I forgot about them

richa2002

Established Member
I've never been convinced about 31s. I don't like the look of them and I can't see them sounding like 37s. :?

Nick

Richard Armstrong said:
I've never been convinced about 31s. I don't like the look of them and I can't see them sounding like 37s. :?

Leave them alone.

joeholmes

Hmmm so there is something wrong with me because i called a train sexy.......

Oh well then..... :roll:

Anyways... I understand a train is a train - surprise surprise, but there is something about an HST which sticks in your mind.. I dont look at a HST and think 'oh nice train'....

I Look at it going 125 past me (at maidenhead station) and it sends goosebumbs down my spine.. IMO there is something..... almost..... romantic about the HST...

Joe

AlexS

Established Member
Oh dear, Joe. There is something romantic about a steak dinner, with low lights and some crappy but 'romantic' music playing. IC125s are just loud.

Rachel Stevens = Sexy.
43009 = Loud, dirty and probably smelly. Not Sexy.

31s ARE pretty crappy, boring machines. But still better than 150s.

Status
Not open for further replies.