• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How I got on the railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

9K43

How I got on the railway.
In the late of 1981, I wrote a letter to the area manager at Healey Mills to see if he had any vacancies for jobs on the railways .At this time, I had just been made redundant in the job that I had .After a week of sending my first letter to British Rail I got a letter that there was no positions at Healey Mills, but they would put me on the waiting list . As BR had said they had no positions, it did not come as any surprise, as there were many people un employed all over the Country so I had to wait to see what would happen to me.
Many weeks went by and I had forgotten my letter from BR, When one day a letter dropped into my house from BR at Leeds. When opened this letter, it told me that 3 guards were required at Huddersfield as soon as possible. If I was interested I should reply to the Area Manager at Healey Mills soon as possible. The ink on the BR letter was not dry before I phoned up to see what will happen next. I was told that an interview would be required as soon as possible , for me to attend an interview In 3 days time at Huddersfield. Railway Station at 15:00hrs.The time dragged on for me to go for the interview . I went down to the Managers Office at the appointed time. When I went in I to the office there were 2 men from Leeds who were from the area managers office who gave me the interview, which lasted about 45 minutes. I was asked all sorts of questions about myself and family and where lived. The manager shook my hand and they would tell me if I was suitable for the job. They said that they would tell me as soon as possible of their outcome. 3 days later another letter dropped on my mat saying that I was accepted subject where I had a medical examination. When it was over the doctor, told me l was ok to start on the railway as soon as possible. All the family were happy for me to be a guard on the railway. After all this I started a guards course at Leeds This lasted about 4 weeks. This course was taken by a Guard from York who knew the Rule Book from one end to the other. There was about 8 on the course from Leeds , 3 from Huddersfield, and the oldest man was from Knotigley who was about 57 years old. After the course we had to take our rules exam from the guards manager at Leeds. Only one lad to his speaking English, so he landed on the main Platform service at Leeds, and he ended up finishing up retiring with 35 years service. The manger took him off guarding as he could not pass a safety critical message due to problem with his English. As a result over my years as a guard, I would make it in my way to speak to this man . I would find him out and shake his hand and have a natter with him , and then go about my job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Many thanks for your post, really interesting stuff. In fact I think the same could be said for all of your posts! My dad and his dad were both career railwaymen with my Granddad starting his career at Horwich as a premium apprentice before moving to Derby in 1940.

My dad did his apprenticeship at Derby Loco Works in the early 1960's before going on to do a degree in Mechanical Engineering at Nottingham University, all paid for by BR.

One of the things that strikes me about your reminiscences is that so many of those regional offices will now have been swept away, certainly at Huddersfield and probably Leeds too. Of course back in the 1980's many railway centres had their own version of Rail House. Crewe, Sheffield (Sheaf House?) and Birmingham all had their own. Derby of course had the RTC plus Nelson Street. The number of jobs that must have been lost across the network is incredible. I even remember a small railway office right by Waterloo East.

Last edited:

9K43

I intend to write about the Guards Course that we had and what we did up at Neville Hill and how we were trained for the jobs that we were going to do.
These stories are from memory of many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.