• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long can I leave a bicycle locked up at...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Without knowing the specifics of those particular stations, it is not entirely unknown for bikes to be left locked up in cycle racks on platforms across the network for weeks, months and probably even years on end.

Wyvern

Established Member
Till someone comes round with a big enough pair of bolt cutters?

stut

Established Member
I don't know those station specifically, but I often leave my bike chained up at King's X while I'm away on holiday.

They do come around doing "sweeps", where they tag all bikes, then removing the bikes that haven't been detagged by the owners after a couple of weeks. They're then stored for another short while, and finally sold on. So, apart from theft, that's what to watch out for. Look out for notices to this effect, check the operator's (or NR's website) and, best of all, ask another cyclist who uses the racks.

brianthegiant

Hi Gathursty!

There is never normally a time limit for leaving bikes at stations.
Indeed many bikes appear to be at stations indefinitely because people leave them at the station nearest their place of work to cycle the last mile or two each day. Hence these bikes are often seen overnight at stations. If there are bikes which are obviously abandoned (wheels missing, chain rusted solid, saddle etc missing), then at some point the station operator might post a warning notice giving the owner notice that the bicycle will removed after a given date.

A few key tips if you are planning to leave a bike at a station overnight:
Choose a location which is well lit, covered by reliable CCTV and ideally within the part of the station which is locked overnight if this is possible.
Be sure to get a good lock. As a rule of thumb our security recommend the lock cost should be at least 10% the bike value. Thin locks under a tenner are worthless.
Also either ensure all removable parts are locked (wheels and saddle) or replace the quick release skewers with ones requiring a tool.

For local tips I owuld strongly encourage you to contact your local cycling campaign, they're generally very knowledgeable about which locations etc are more prone to thefts.
In your case: http://cyclemanchester.org.uk

hope this helps, Brian

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the cycle parking provisions in Manchester when I went there last summer. Upon locking up my bike at the racks outside Manchester Pic station in August a Pc from the BTP exiting their office by the cycle racks said "I wouldn't leave that there" despite me locking it with two locks!

I couldn't find anywhere better, but was nervous all evening.

Gathursty

Established Member
Good advice there, thanks.

My bike is tagged and I'd only need to leave it there for no more than a week. I'm aware of thieves but I was more concerned about the station staff considering it 'suspicious' and taking it off to some lost property centre miles away.

GearJammer

I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the cycle parking provisions in Manchester when I went there last summer. Upon locking up my bike at the racks outside Manchester Pic station in August a Pc from the BTP exiting their office by the cycle racks said "I wouldn't leave that there" despite me locking it with two locks!

I couldn't find anywhere better, but was nervous all evening.

So you were locking your bike up? Outside a BTP office, and the BTP advised you don't lock it there, jesus, if you can't lock it up safely outside a BTP office it begs the question where is safe?

bAzTNM

I only lock my bike up now in stations where the ticket office is right next to it, for example, Bridgeton in Glasgow.

Had a strange experience in Glasgow Central before the barriers came up where some guy was eating into a bag of crisps, staring, whilst I was chaining up by bike. Staring intently at me. I don't know what his game was, but it freaked me out enough that I unlocked my chain and left with the bike.

I'd imagine the Glasgow Central cycleparking area is a lot more safer now due to the ticket barriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.