• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long can you handle being in a car?

How long can you handle being in a car?

• less than an hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 4-5 hours

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • more than 5 hours / I don't mind being in a car all day

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I hate being in a car

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

But, as with the “train” thread, it depends......

We drive to and around Europe 2 or 3 times a year (or used to) and there are some fundamentals that make it work.

• Lumbar support and the “right” seats are essential. Just like trains.
  • Air-con is an absolute must.
  • Music, essential.
  • Regular stops. My bladder is not as flexible as it once was.
  • Go slow, go interesting. Treat the journey as part of the holiday. Nowadays, we add time to long UK and European journeys and use the N/SS/A roads rather than motorways. It reduces the boredom and it’s such a pleasant way to travel through France, Italy, Germany, etc. Motorways are sometimes necessary but their monotony can induce sleepiness.
  • Obviously, the nature of the vehicle matters. Something with hard suspension and a sports exhaust would probably tire after a while. Warty air suspension is great for long driving days.
I love a good road trip!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Depends on the car, a basic Fiesta or Corsa is not fun at all.
However something really comfortable like a Volvo is really relaxing, and you could be in there all day.
Once the car is up to temperature the car isn't too hot or cold, and ofc you can listen to your own music to keep yourself occupied.

Veteran Member
2hr or so between stops, so I put 2-3 hours.

When we used to take the family car to campsites in France, we used to limit ourselves to 6hr a day (2 drivers, at least one longish stop); we once did Zeebrugge-Lyon which is a good hour more, but that was to an hotel on the outskirts.

lxfe_mxtterz

I put 1-2 hours - as someone who doesn't drive, I've never been in a car for any longer than 20 minutes, but personally I find cars quite cramped and restrictive. I would happily spend longer on a bus (toilet problems aside!)

Edit: I do like a car at night with the lights off, though, may I add. One of the reasons I enjoy (night) coach travel so much.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I hate driving, with a passion. Give me the train/tram any day of the week over getting behind the wheel. I do love travelling, but it’s all about getting there in the easier way possible.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Driving - all day.

As a passenger, especially in the back, about 20 mins. Being put in a taxi with strangers after disruption to train services would be a nightmare.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't drive so it would be a couple of hours max, then hopefully a fry-up at a transport cafe or Little Chef etc.

Nym

Established Member
Basically all day without issue in my own car. 3 - 5h between stops. Company policy makes it four so that's fine.
However, in one of the hire cars pre COVID as little time as possible, they're generally very uncomfortable semi off road toy-roaders with awful handling and comfort, so every 2h without fail I'll need a break in them.

As a passenger, I'm usually driving.

Welly

Thank goodness, vinyl covered car seats no longer exist! Nasty on hot summer days!

telstarbox

Established Member
2 hours then a break is good for motorway or cross country driving. Probably wouldn't want that much of urban driving though, not that such a journey would be likely.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Similar to most posters, I could drive all day quite comfortably, preferably if it's just myself in the car.

As a passenger, after an hour I start to get quite restless. After 2 hours I would say that I start needing out, so I picked 1-2 hours. Anything over 2 hours, I would probably find quite difficult.

Aictos

Established Member
I don't mind driving, as long as I have regular break periods and decent music, I'm happy to drive anywhere. Think my longest drive was 13 hours!

zero

In the UK I have driven from London to Darlington in one go, but it was on Sunday morning at 6am so not stressful. On stressful drives I have to stop after about 3 hours.

In Australia I have driven 12 hours stopping only to pee at the roadside and refuel, had food and water on the passenger seat. Probably should have had longer rests but I was 25 and feeling invincible, I slept well the night before and the majority was on roads where you see another vehicle once every 5 minutes or less (plus, even in rural parts of Australia the roads are wider and in much better condition than in the UK).

As a passenger the longest I have sat for was about 7 hours in a day but we had frequent stops.

roversfan2001

Established Member
As a back seat passenger, half an hour or so - I hate it. As a front seat passenger, 2-3 hours I'd say. Driving, if on a motorway with no severe traffic, as long as my fuel tank lets me really. Quick 5 min stop every 90-120 minutes but could go 4+ hours without a longer stop if I needed to be somewhere in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.