• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long do I have to wait for the letter to arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green2

Hi all,

Back in March, I was stopped by Greater Anglia inspector as I came off at London Liverpool St (from Ipswich). Same story, took a statement, gave address and details and said I'll be receiving a letter in the post. Didn't have a valid ticket/short faring - first time - I was feeling very tired/ill and needed to get home asap (Recently diagnosed - Long-covid). I had purchased a full ticket for a train that departs 2 hours later but had to get home more urgently and wasn't thinking straight.

It's been 5 weeks, when should I expect to receive such a letter? How likely are Greater Anglia to settle out of court? I'm keen to sort this issue asap (I have prepared my response and drafted my letter)!

I read in another thread that if you don't hear back in 6 months - the case is dropped? Is this true?

Also, what could be causing the delay in getting the letter? Is it an ominous sign?

Thanks and best wishes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Please clarfiy:

1) You had a valid ticket for a later train? Was that for the complete journey? Did you show it to the inspector?

2) "Short faring" - did you have some ticket for part of the actual journey you made but not the complete journey, and if so which part of the journey and did you show it to the inspector?

3) Is there a connection to the incident on your other thread which you indicated was with Thameslink?

To answer the question, 6 months is the limit in practice. (Technically if they want to prosecute you they have to notify the court within that time and it could be a bit longer than that before you find out. After 6 months courts won't allow them to prosecute except for rare serious cases. They can still use the civil courts to obtain the fare owed as a contractual debt but we don't seem to hear about train companies doing that on here - they seem to have a strong preference for using the criminal law.)

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is this the same incident referred to in your earlier thread or a different one? It seems as though you might have come to Greater Anglia's attention more than once and if this is the case I would expect them to be less lenient.

The train company has six months to lay papers before the court, this doesn't necessarily mean you will hear within exactly six months but it is a decent guide (e.g. they could lay papers before the court on the last valid day and your court summons might follow a few weeks later)

Status
Not open for further replies.