• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long does it take to get GWR refunds at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazthomas

Established Member
Hi,

It has been 3 weeks since GWR would have received my tickets back for refund (when everything was first kicking-off with the lock down). I was wondering how long I should expect for the refund to be processed, especially given the current situation. I wouldn't be so anxious usually, but the tickets were almost £400 so I'm eager to get this back. I can't see any tracking ability on the GWR website or in the emails I got when I first submitted the refund request.

Thanks!

GazT

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Devonman2014

Hi,

It has been 3 weeks since GWR would have received my tickets back for refund (when everything was first kicking-off with the lock down). I was wondering how long I should expect for the refund to be processed, especially given the current situation. I wouldn't be so anxious usually, but the tickets were almost £400 so I'm eager to get this back. I can't see any tracking ability on the GWR website or in the emails I got when I first submitted the refund request.

Thanks!

GazT

I applied on 23/03/20 in the evening , had an email confirmation of refund today.
Money still not in my bank yet.

I hadn’t got my tickets from the machine when applying , dunno if that sped it up or slowed it down ?

mark

DanielDeronda

Hello

I'm in the same boat, I submitted a refund for advance tickets bought on the GWR website, on 24 March 2020 & have not received any further feedback on my application apart from the original email & it also says when you log-in to your account & look in Upcoming journeys & click on Bookings, it says the status is AWAITING REFUND.

The refund was submitted 17 days ago, and I think it says on their T&C that it will take up to 28 days to process refunds & given they have an increased number of refunds to process, it may be longer than that.

Vespa

Established Member
I claimed for a delay repay and it took something 1 and a 1/2 weeks for full refund.
With the lockdown it may take longer.

gazthomas

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I was booked on what turned out to to be the last sleeper to Penzance but we decided not to travel on the day in light of the emerging lockdown advice from the government. Our sleeper tickets where not advances however or return tickets were so we're hoping for some flexibility from GWR as free refunds were introduced shortly afterwards and we were trying to do a bit, still taking a hit on hotels, etc.

Devonman2014

Thanks for the feedback. I was booked on what turned out to to be the last sleeper to Penzance but we decided not to travel on the day in light of the emerging lockdown advice from the government. Our sleeper tickets where not advances however or return tickets were so we're hoping for some flexibility from GWR as free refunds were introduced shortly afterwards and we were trying to do a bit, still taking a hit on hotels, etc.

good luck and I hope it all works out however I do believe they said from a certain date onwards refunds would be made (think was 22nd March but don’t quote me on that).
On the 21st March they were refusing to refund my advances for April, then by 23rd their stance changed.

Have they confirmed the refund to you or is it you have just applied ?

Dhassell

I applied for mine on two journeys just before midday on March 23rd and both were approved yesterday afternoon.

gazthomas

Established Member
My trip was out on Friday 20th March (any time) and return on Sunday 22nd March (advances). As I had the tickets I applied for the refund on Thursday 19th March posting them the same day to GWR's Freepost address. I don't expect a refund for the advances as the date is marginal at best, but I've not heard anything as yet.

londonbridge

Established Member
The refund was submitted 17 days ago, and I think it says on their T&C that it will take up to 28 days to process refunds & given they have an increased number of refunds to process, it may be longer than that.

That's right, it said upto 28 days in the email I got when I submitted my refund claim on April 3rd. Although when I log into my account and look at the journey the status is still listed as complete and says "you can't refund this booking"......

Metal_gee_man

I posted off my tickets to FREEPOST GWR REFUNDS on 24 March and the money was back in my account some time yesterday, 11 April.
Lucky you, I sent my refund request to the FREEPOST address on the 20th March and haven't heard a thing, I've emailed them and not heard anything back, annoyingly about 5/6 days after I posted them they allowed tickets to be scanned/photographed and the refunds carried out electronically rather than physically allowing people to work from home, I fear with mine put in the post I could be waiting for a long time for a refund.

tivoli

Received full refund for tickets we were due to use this week. Applied 23 March. Refunded 2 April. (Hadn't collected tickets).

gazthomas

Established Member
Thanks for this. I will wait until the mandatory / "statutory" period is over before I follow up while at the same time appreciating that they no doubt have a higher than usual workload

gazthomas

Established Member
I've just received two emails from GWR, the first for the "open" tickets I had for the Cornwall bound sleeper, the second for the advanced tickets I had on the return.

They have honoured refunds on all tickets, for which I appreciate their pragmatism at a very difficult time. The minute the curfew is over I will be rebooking with them :)

Vespa

Established Member
Glad it worked out for you.
I must say GWR (to date) have been pretty good with their refund and delay repay.

I'm usually quite cynical with corporations as I feel they promises much and delivers little.

I would be happy to book with them again, I'm planning a big epic bucket list trip round Britain when the coronavirus is over as it must at some point.

gazthomas

Established Member
Glad it worked out for you.
I must say GWR (to date) have been pretty good with their refund and delay repay.

I'm usually quite cynical with corporations as I feel they promises much and delivers little.

I would be happy to book with them again, I'm planning a big epic bucket list trip round Britain when the coronavirus is over as it must at some point.
Me too, it certainly promotes loyalty and like you I will show them this going forward.

Last edited:

DanielDeronda

I'm still waiting for my refund, for tickets bought on 7th March on GWR.com for travel on 25th April.

I submitted the request online on 24th March. I know I've still got a couple of days to wait before 28 days has passed, but had hoped it would have been sorted by now, going on other people on this thread.

Will wait until Thursday before replying back to GWR.

island

Veteran Member
I cancelled a trip on 22•MCH•20 and posted the tickets same day, yesterday I got an email to say the refund “will be with you shortly”.

gazthomas

Established Member
I cancelled a trip on 22•MCH•20 and posted the tickets same day, yesterday I got an email to say the refund “will be with you shortly”.
Great. In my (limited) experience the refund hit my credit card the next day

DanielDeronda

Just sent GWR a Facebook message & their latest is that my refund request is still in the queue to be processed (they can see it on their system) & that refund requests could take up to 6 weeks now to process.

Guess I've just got to wait a little bit longer:)

gazthomas

Established Member
Just sent GWR a Facebook message & their latest is that my refund request is still in the queue to be processed (they can see it on their system) & that refund requests could take up to 6 weeks now to process.

Guess I've just got to wait a little bit longer:)
It's good that they've got your claim, I can only imagine they're swamped with hence the delays. Overtime you would hope the workload would reduce with fewer people travelling and fewer pre booked tickets to cancel

londonbridge

Established Member
This is copied from their website:

For ADVANCE tickets purchased before 07.00 on 23rd March for travel BEFORE 07.00 ON 23RD March then then normal refund rules apply, although all refund fees are waived. For tickets for travel after 07.00 on 23rd March (when a new reduced timetable was introduced) then a full refund can be claimed with no refund fee applied. For tickets purchased AFTER 07.00 on 23rd March then normal refund rules apply, although all refund fees are waived.

Booking was made March 12th, advance tickets for travel on May 22nd. Refund claimed online April 3rd (Hadn't collected the tickets). per my earlier post, in my account the journey is still showing as complete and non-refundable, whereas another member says their status was 'awaiting refund'. Presumably it's still in the queue as per Daniels post above.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
That wording is confusing at best, and an "interesting" interpretation of what RDG have briefed out!

The actual wording from RDG is:
Rail Delivery Group said:
Customers with Advance tickets purchased before 06:59 on Monday 23 March, for travel on or after 23 March may apply for a full refund before the first booked train has departed, with no admin fee. Customers with Advance tickets purchased on or after 07:00 on Monday 23 March may apply for a refund on an unused ticket only when disruption or cancellation causes them to abandon their journey (Condition 30.1). They may still apply within 56 days of expiry of the ticket.

island

Veteran Member
The refund arrived on my card on Tuesday 21•APR•20

Par

per my earlier post, in my account the journey is still showing as complete and non-refundable, whereas another member says their status was 'awaiting refund'. Presumably it's still in the queue as per Daniels post above.

Mine is the same, although in fairness I only submitted it a week ago. Not worried at all, it’s just in the queue to be dealt with.

You will have an email with a refund reference on it and a date, so this is evidence of the claim being made in a timely manner, the refund will come, eventually.

gazthomas

Established Member
Mine is the same, although in fairness I only submitted it a week ago. Not worried at all, it’s just in the queue to be dealt with.

You will have an email with a refund reference on it and a date, so this is evidence of the claim being made in a timely manner, the refund will come, eventually.
From my experience I think they'll get there and refund honourably

DanielDeronda

Finally got my refund emails from GWR & all 3 have been processed successfully, 5 & half weeks after I submitted them. Just happy they've been sorted with the minimum of fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.