• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long does it take to get GWR refunds at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Par

As noted in post #27 above, I placed my refund request in two weeks ago. Still no refund (which in all honesty I wasn’t expecting yet), but got an email today, basically saying “don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten you” and going on to explain that refunds are currently taking 29 days on average and not worry, it’s on it’s way. Totally relaxed on this.

My Avanti refund, claimed on the same day, hit my account yesterday.

londonbridge

Established Member
The tickets I had refunded were for tomorrow (May 22nd).......today I get the automated 'information about your journey'/'P...., you're all set for your journey tomorrow' type email. Presumably there's no/little cross referencing and the fact a booking has been cancelled isn't enough to prevent the info about your journey emails being sent out at the time the journey was scheduled to be made.

Par

Still waiting on my refund, will be 5 weeks tomorrow since submission, had an email on 2nd May saying taking an average of 29 days (not sure if that’s including or excluding weekends?) and not to worry “we haven’t forgotten you” I have to say I’ve gone from relaxed to concerned, given that their website in now saying the current average wait is now down to 23 days.

Thoughts anyone?

Cletus

Established Member
The relevant GWR webpage says 26 days currently. Before I found the link, I tweeted them and sent them my refund email reference. They replied that my refund was in their system, so at least I know I'll get it eventually.

The other refund I requested from a different company was put back on my credit card the following day though.

Par

The relevant GWR webpage says 26 days currently. Before I found the link, I tweeted them and sent them my refund email reference. They replied that my refund was in their system, so at least I know I'll get it eventually.

The other refund I requested from a different company was put back on my credit card the following day though.

They’ve acknowledged I’m in the system, but in the queue, guess I’ll just have to patient, but it will be 35 days tomorrow, a know that includes a couple of bank holidays.

Not on Twitter, so can’t chase up that way.

Established Member
I've just recieved a refund for a planned journey in early April. So it's taking nearly 2 months for them to pay by the looks of things at the moment.

horzy

10 weeks and counting. Submitted on 19/03. Discussed this with GWR through messengar at lease 5 times. Next made up deadline is next Friday (05/06). Wish me luck.

father_jack

And staff more than capable of doing refunds of tickets originally purchased in ticket offices sit idle in the office or at home....

Brunswick

I submitted to GWR on the 02.05.20 same automated email saying 29 days, says 26 on the website chased them on Thursday and have been told it could take up to 3 months !

father_jack

So you’ll be happy with staff at home having access to credit card information?

That is a daft comment.

I mean they are at home because there is no work for them to do at present in an office. Anyway, if you knew how modern TIS systems work the system remembers the payment card (in an encrypted format) to always return the refund to the correct card to deter money laundering and as fraud prevention. You could probably do it away from an office environment if the will was there to make such a program.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Modern TIS systems...remember the payment card (in an encrypted format) to always return the refund to the correct card to deter money laundering and as fraud prevention. You could probably do it away from an office environment if the will was there to make such a program.
At least with the TIS we're using now, such refunds are a three step process:
  • The Ticket Office clerk creates the refund in the TIS, capturing the ticket and usage details, customer contact details and (optionally) payment card, thus providing belt and braces when it comes to payment.
  • A Supervisor/Manager checks and authorises the refund via a web application and e-mails the Ticket Office in question to let them know it's been done. (Though refunds can be paid out at any Ticket Office operated by the same TOC).
  • The Ticket Office clerk recalls the refund on the TIS and makes payment, disposing of the resulting paperwork in accordance with their TOC's Accountancy Procedures.

As far as I'm aware, the refund MUST be processed through a TIS as the relevant commission and revenue allocations need to be reversed in accordance with the Ticketing and Settlement Agreement, and I'm fairly certain that allowing staff to take a TIS home (even without a ticket printer) would cause major compliance issues, alas.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That is a daft comment.

I mean they are at home because there is no work for them to do at present in an office. Anyway, if you knew how modern TIS systems work the system remembers the payment card (in an encrypted format) to always return the refund to the correct card to deter money laundering and as fraud prevention. You could probably do it away from an office environment if the will was there to make such a program.
Not as daft as yours. I know enough about how modern TIS operate to know that operating the ticket office TIS from home would be regarded as completely unacceptable for many reasons.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
  • The Ticket Office clerk creates the refund in the TIS, capturing the ticket and usage details, customer contact details and (optionally) payment card, thus providing belt and braces when it comes to payment.
  • A Supervisor/Manager checks and authorises the refund via a web application and e-mails the Ticket Office in question to let them know it's been done. (Though refunds can be paid out at any Ticket Office operated by the same TOC).
  • The Ticket Office clerk recalls the refund on the TIS and makes payment, disposing of the resulting paperwork in accordance with their TOC's Accountancy Procedures.

As far as I'm aware, the refund MUST be processed through a TIS as the relevant commission and revenue allocations need to be reversed in accordance with the Ticketing and Settlement Agreement, and I'm fairly certain that allowing staff to take a TIS home (even without a ticket printer) would cause major compliance issues, alas.
Guess which two forum members were instrumental is getting that process set up ;)

Par

My refund finally came through on Saturday, so it took six weeks in total. By contrast, a similar request with Avanti, submitted on the same day, took 2 weeks. Not sure what (if anything) that tells us?

father_jack

Not as daft as yours. I know enough about how modern TIS operate to know that operating the ticket office TIS from home would be regarded as completely unacceptable for many reasons.
I have to agree to differ with your opinion. Sounds typical of manglement "can't do but we can't say why not" attittude.....

A more sensible (and less antagonistic ;)) reponse. Refunds could still be processed up to a point by anyone anywhere before being authorised, they have to be authorised anyway after the personal limits of a clerk or supervisor are exceeded.

GWR twitter is carnage at present surrounding refunds. Just in the last 9 hours-

After waiting 70 days I finally received my season ticket refund today, however, it's for the wrong amount, who do I contact to resolve this?

3:09 PM · Jun 2, 2020·Twitter Web App
over 2 months waiting for refund. Submitted two online 23/3, actual tickets posted 24/3. Have emailed on 29/4 and 25/5 to receive same generic reply. 20 mins on hold now, enough is enough. Two claims in same envelope, first one paid, but no sign of second one?
@GWRHelp
trying to get in touch via whats app as per your advice, but message says does not accept whats app calls. Supremely helpful. V angry yo expect me to resend a claim form you received over a month ago plus my payment details. And no, I will not go to a station for refund
Hello
@GWRHelp
and
@thetrainline
both of you claim the other is the one who needs to refund me on my £2621.82 GWR touchcard. Whose job is it actually? Why does having a touch card make getting a refund impossible?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I've just today received a refund from a claim submitted at the end of March.

Admittedly a fairly complicated claim with two Advances and two Day Returns all under one booking reference.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I filed for Delay Repay due to issues in the Severn Tunnel last Monday. I submitted it on Thursday (4th), received an email confirmation of my refund on Monday (8th), and had the value transferred into my account yesterday (10th). All in all, six days.

TFW, on the other hand, took almost six weeks to send a RTV to me (which was a £10 admin fee taken from me when they said I wouldn't have to pay it!).

father_jack

But conversely I heard of a customer who submitted a smartcard season ticket for refund on the 21st of March and it still hasn't been processed, and on finding the ticket still being "live" the customer has restarted using it because he's back to work !!!

Cletus

Established Member
Have today received a refund for a claim I made on the 2nd May.

Unfortunately I claimed for 2 advances booked together and only received one refund.

Cletus

Established Member
Have today received a refund for a claim I made on the 2nd May.

Unfortunately I claimed for 2 advances booked together and only received one refund.

After more chasing of GWR, finally received my 2nd refund today. What a palaver!

Status
Not open for further replies.