• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long has the 'routing guide' idea been in existence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just watching all you experts coming up with esoteric routes and surprising combinations plus easements, I just wondered how long these routing guides had been in existence? Since privatisation? nationalisation? before that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
Just watching all you experts coming up with esoteric routes and surprising combinations plus easements, I just wondered how long these routing guides had been in existence? Since privatisation? nationalisation? before that?
Since privatisation.

Before that, it was based on 'reasonable routes' - which could be subjective. But with privatisation came the need to be able to apportion revenue between the different TOCs - so some systematic method was needed to determine permitted routes.

quarella

Privatisation was 1995 just after I started my railway career and I managed well enough in the Telephone enquiry bureau/call centre for some time before the Routeing Guide was introduced. Wikipedia does contain a dead link to the ORR website "Routeing guide defines "reasonable" rail routes for the first time" dated 1996.
Despite it being a decade since I had previously used it I was impressed that I could still remember what to do and prove a ticket to not be valid via a particular route. The colleague who had asked the question just looked bewildered. I will say a paper version is easier.

sheff1

Established Member
Since privatisation.

Before that, it was based on 'reasonable routes' - which could be subjective. But with privatisation came the need to be able to apportion revenue between the different TOCs - so some systematic method was needed to determine permitted routes.

No doubt that was a major driver but, at the time, the RG was 'sold' on the basis that it would ensure routes previously accepted as reasonable by BR could continue to be used after privatisation and could not be disallowed by the new TOCs. Recent behaviour by some TOCs shows that this 'promise' turned out to be rather empty.

Eagle

Established Member
I think the reasonable routes probably only became subjective over time. They were originally clearly defined in the 1951 Book of Routes.

Although the Book of Routes was more simplistic if I recall correctly. Just a list of things like "Passengers travelling via A and B may use route X or route Y between them." rather than the modern Routeing Guide which aims to provide a definitive list of routes between every start and end point.

furlong

Established Member
Although the Book of Routes was more simplistic if I recall correctly. Just a list of things like "Passengers travelling via A and B may use route X or route Y between them."

The format was: Tickets covering travel in either direction between X and Y are available Via A or B (or ...)

It was split into two sections, LONDON and PROVINCES.

BOOK OF ROUTES said:
The Railway Executive permit passengers holding certain descriptions of tickets to travel between the points covered by their tickets by certain alternative routes for which THE SAME FARE is chargeable.

This booklet is issued for general guidance, and in order to keep it to a convenient size, it does not comprise a comprehensive list of every pair of places between which there are permitted alternative routes for the whole journey or sections of a journey.

The information has been compiled to give, readily, the stations at either end of diverging routes over which the same fare applies. It is to be understood that alternative route travel is permitted on tickets between these stations and also on tickets between places further afield which are valid for journeys between the stations named. For example, a ticket from or via London, or from any of the intermediate stations between London and Reading, TO Taunton, or any station west of Taunton, would be valid for travel by any permitted route between Reading and Taunton, without extra charge.

Two or more instances of diverging and permitted routes may occur on a longer distance journey.

Tickets routed via London termini are NOT available by the rail or road services of the London Transport Executive.
Passengers are required to make their own arrangements where it is necessary to cross a town in order to continue a journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.